14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 12:51 PM by the_wine_snob

Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64

I cannot get Premier Elements 7 to capture videos from my Canon HF 10 camera.

I am using Window Vista 64, Premier Elements 7 that I just installed, and a Canon Vixia HF 10 video camera.

The computer will identify the camera. I can import video using the Pixela ImageMixer software that came with the camera. And, I can capture the video into Premier Elements 7 once I have the video clip as a file on the computer.

Obviously, I would prefer to just directly capture the video with Premier Elements 7.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to resolve the problem?
        • 1. Re: Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64
          Paul_LS Level 4
          Are you using the get media from "AVCHD or other hard disk memory camcorder" capture preset? If so and you are having problems may be something to do with Vista 64... PE7 is not offically supported under Vista 64.
          • 2. Re: Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64
            Level 1
            Yes, I tried to use the "AVCHD or other hard disk memory camcorder" under the "Get Media".

I don't know if Adobe is going to have a patch or an update for Vista 64.

I can get the files into Premier Elements if I use the Pixela software that came with the camera. Do you think that Premier Elements 7 will run correctly on Vista 64?
            • 3. Re: Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64
              Paul_LS Level 4
              This is what Adobe says...

"For those versions of Premiere Elements that are compatible with Windows Vista, the 64 bit versions of Vista are not supported. Premiere Elements is compatible with 64 bit versions of Windows Vista. It has been tested on 64 bit Vista, and there are no known issues that are specific to the 64 bit version of the OS, However, Premiere Elements is not a 64 bit application. It runs on 64 bit Vista in 32-bit compatibility mode."

Note the... "runs on 64 bit Vista in 32-bit compatibility mode"
              • 4. Re: Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64
                I recently purchased the Canon Vixia HG20, which is nearly identical to your HF 10--with the exception of mine records to HDD instead of memory card.  The guts of the camcorder are very similar.  I spent a couple of hours on the phone today contacting Canon and Adobe regarding the same issue:  Premier Elements 7 does not recognize the camera if you choose the "AVCHD or other hard disk memory camcorder" under the "Get Media".  I was told by Adobe that my camera came out after PE 7 was produced...so it was not supported through that method of acquiring footage.  However, you can open up the "PC Files and Folders" option and browse the file structure on the camera by choosing the drive letter associated with the camera <Drive Letter>: AVCHD> BDMV > Stream.  You will find your AVCHD movie files in this directory.  This is unfortunate, however because you cannot see "thumbnails" of the different movie segments you have taken, like you can in the Pixela software.  This is not an issue with Vista, or XP for that matter (I am running XP).  This is an Adobe issue that resides withing PE7.  I hope they fix it with a patch or something.  If anyone knows a work-around, please let me know.  -cp
                • 5. Re: Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64
                  YUP! I am having the same problem with the same camera, but I use Windows XP.
                  • 6. Re: Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64
                    Paul_LS Level 4
                    Use the software that came with the camcorder to get the files on to your hard drive and then use Add Media to import them into PE7. I use this workflow with my Sony, even though PE7 can import them, as the software has a good organizer and is good for quickly reviewing the files.
                    • 7. Re: Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64
                      I have a HF10 and PE7 will recognize the camera and read only the SDHC chip memory-not the internal hard drive in the camera. If I remove the SD card, it will not recognize the camera at all! Adobe help is also useless, cumbersome and frustrating also.
                      • 8. Re: Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                        Thank you for sharing, Kurt.
                        • 9. Re: Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64
                          FabFotographer

HELP anyone!!! I have a new HP Pavilion Elite 64 bit with the new i7 quad processor. I have read all the forms about adobe premier 7 having issues with getting the videos off the camera to the pc, Most all the responses say use the software that came with the camera, but i cant make "Imagemixer 3se"  xfer either. it takes forever for the pc to find the camera, once pc finds the camera the imagemixer opens, and again takes for ever to find the videos, once found and I click "save files fo pc" it takes FOREVER,  I mean worse than dial up internet. it took, I kid you not 4 hours to xfer a 2 minute video.  Is anyone eles out there running the imagemixer on vista with 64 bit?A

• 10. Re: Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64
                            FabFotographer Level 1

HELP anyone!!! I have a new HP Pavilion Elite 64 bit with the new i7 quad processor. I have read all the forms about adobe premier 7 having issues with getting the videos off the camera to the pc, Most all the responses say use the software that came with the camera, but i cant make "Imagemixer 3se"  xfer either. it takes forever for the pc to find the camera, once pc finds the camera the imagemixer opens, and again takes for ever to find the videos, once found and I click "save files fo pc" it takes FOREVER,  I mean worse than dial up internet. it took, I kid you not 4 hours to xfer a 2 minute video.  Is anyone eles out there running the imagemixer on vista with 64 bit?A

• 11. Re: Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64
                              Steve Grisetti-JFIrXo Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You'll get best results, Fab, if you start your own thread instead of tagging onto the end of a 7 month old topic.

• 12. Re: Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64
                                teddybearser

I just got a Canon Vixia GH21 and have the same problem with PE 7 here in August of 2009. This original post was back in December. Does anyone know of a solution or patch, or should I just use the camera software to get the files on the computer hard disk and then import them into PE?

Thanks

Ted

• 13. Re: Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I am assuming that you are connecting via USB and not FireWire. If this is the case, then the performance lag that you are experiencing is likely a result of the USB - they are so-o-o slow.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Video capture with Canon HF10 and Vista 64
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

Welcome to the forum.

Now, I could not find your camera on the CanonUSA site. Is it a UK/European model? Looking at the US models with similar #'s, it appears that the only connection offered is USB 2.0. Is that correct?

If so, there will be one major problem. With a rare exception, PrE will only Capture via FireWire. If this camera does not have FireWire, then one must use other means to get the files onto the computer, and then into PrE. That is why it has been recommended that one use the included software to transfer the image files. This is an unfortunate fact of life. As the USB 2.0 connection is horribly slow, even on the fastest of computers, there will be the problem of how long this will take.

The decision to not include FW was one made my Canon. Many manufacturers are making the same decision, as it keeps costs down on their consumer cameras. It does not help the user, however, if they really wish to edit the footage. What would be a one-step process with a miniDV tape camera w/ FW is now at least a two-step process and a slow one at that.

There is likely not going to be any cure from Adobe's end, unless they rework the Capture module, or add a second USB one, and that will not be until PrE 8, if even then. [This is my prediction and not from any knowledge of Adobe's plans.]

Good luck,

Hunt