25 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 3:32 PM by Felix G

Extremely slow HD video playback

I have 1080 HD video clips stored in WMV format. However, when I try to play it back from the Premiere Elements timeline, the video is either very slow (i.e. the video in the preview window updates every 10 seconds or so) or else the video doesn't update at all (i.e. the video remains at the frame at which playback started). When I pause the video, it updates the preview window after several seconds.

Unfortunately, this extreme lag makes pretty much impossible to even try any editing.

The audio is in sync, it's just the video. I have no effects applied. The video is on a separate internal 7200 RPM hard drive. The hard drive is defragmented and has plenty of free space. The video plays back fine in Windows Media Player; it appears to be a Premiere-specific issue. Also of note, when I play the video in Premiere Elements, the CPU usage shoots up to more than 90%.

My computer specifications are:
      Pentium 4, 3 GHz with hyperthreading
      3 GB of DDR2 RAM
      128 MB ATI Radeon X300 SE
      Windows XP Professional SP2
      160 GB system drive
      500 GB 7200 RPM data drive (which stores the video)

The system requirements for Premiere Elements are met, and I also checked the Premiere Pro requirements for HDV editing, and those are met too (with the small exception that my processor is a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz instead of Pentium 4 3.4 GHz).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!