10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2008 6:27 AM by Steve Grisetti

PE4 crashes when trying to share to Disk

Level 1
      I know this problem has been posted before. I have searched google and the forums directly for all related post and tried all suggestions I have found.

- I am running XP w/ SP2 on DELL desktop system
      - Have over 300GB of free HDD space
      - running with 4GB of RAM
      - Have done a dozen successful projects w/ PE4 to date
      - I always copy to work folder and resize my images to 1000 px wide
      - My projects use stills, standard video, titles, and music

I started to see this issue on my latest project which is smaller and nothing special compared to previous projects. Every time I select share to disk the program EITHER crashes (as if I exited w/ no error message) or I get a Windows error message stating the program is being shutdown. This happens every time so I am dead in the water with this project.

This is what I have tried...

- No Roxio installed
      - Searched for the files (5) "CDRAL.DLL", etc suggested. None are present.
      - Deleted "Premiere Elements\4.0" folder from my documents
      - Held Ctrl+Shift when starting up
      - Archived the project and tried again.
      - I can render the timeline just fine
      - Updated to XP SP3 and all latest updates
      - To Windows update custom to check for more updates
      - Checked the ATI website for video driver updates. There were none.

I also tried sharing the entire 3.5 minute project to an AVI file, create a new PE4 project with that single AVI video, and I still get the crash when I try to burn a DVD from the new project.

Also other projects can get past this project to the share disk settings so it seems to be an issue with this 1 project.

The only things I have not done yet is to call Adobe or reinstall PE4. That is because it seems like this problem has gone away for most and I am wondering if there are other things to try.

If I reinstall PE4 will I lose all my customized effects?

Also I realize I can rebuild the entire project. It is only 3.5 minutes. It will take about a day. But other than that suggestion, is their any fix for this Adobe issue? I would like to fix the problem so that my PE4 runs reliably without worrying if I will need to rebuild my project a week down the road. Or at least know how to reliably avoid the issue in the future.

Any help appreciated,
      Mark
        • 1. Re: PE4 crashes when trying to share to Disk
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          You shouldn't lose any of your work or plug-ins if you uninstall/reinstall.

You also might want to update your XP to SP3.

I'm not sure why this is happening to you with you computer specs, particularly on such a short project.

You can try clearing your preferences (holding down the left Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys as you launch the program). You can also go to Edit/Preferences/Media Cache and clear your Media Cache.

You might also try doing some routine things to clear all the invisible junk off your system. You'll be surprised how many hundreds of megs of there are!
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a

Hopefully, that will help somewhat.
          • 2. Re: PE4 crashes when trying to share to Disk
            Level 1
            Steve,

Thanks. I did many of the things including reg clean with EasyClean, Antivirus check, Ad-Aware check and defrag (was not needed). I had delete everything under "Media Cache Files" and "Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files" (render files). Still was no help.

RE: Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys. This doesn't work for me. It opens the PROPERTIES window for the PE4 shortcut. I saw in another post that stated it was the Ctrl+Shift (no Alt) keys and I have tried this with no results.

For future reference, was that as a typo or is Alt key needed as well to clear the preferences?

What fixed it for me was uninstalling and reinstalling. Just thought I would share that with anyone else having the same issues.

Mark
            • 3. Re: PE4 crashes when trying to share to Disk
              Level 1
              I am having the same problem.

trying to burn a video to dvd and it gets to 95% then tells me I have an error. I tried exporting and importing with the dvi thing but it does not work because I want menus on my video.

this is the very first project I have tried on here so I am quite frustrated. I also tried to burn it to a dvd folder but got the same error message I think I will try to re install the program and see if that works.

I don't know what else to do.
              • 4. Re: PE4 crashes when trying to share to Disk
                Your problem is likely different and with a different solution, Belle. Please start your own thread.

Mark, yes holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift is the correct way to clear the preferences. Sometimes you have to start the program launch first and then hold down those three keys as it launches.

You can also go to My Document/Adobe and throw away or rename the Premiere Elements folder. (Again, this won't affect any work in progress.)
                • 5. Re: PE4 crashes when trying to share to Disk
                  Level 1
                  If you have a rewritabel disk, this problem can be isoalated. To me it seems like this is a case of one corrupted frame or clipo lrather than the entire movie. If it is just 3.5 Mins, Break it into havlf (save the project with a different name) and Burn both hlves. This Process if repeated a maximum of Seven times ()each less time consuming than last) will point you to the one frame or clip which is giving trouble.
                  This is not easy but the most logical approach to fixing the issue.
                  • 6. Re: PE4 crashes when trying to share to Disk
                    Level 1
                    Well, this problem has come back 2 projects later. My current project is similar to previous projects except that I am working with HD video clips (m2t files) from a Sony HC7 camcorder.

Total project length is only 12 minutes and the project renders just fine. But when I select "disc" from the share menu PE4 either crashes (exits without a trace) or I get the Windows error message stating the program is being shutdown.

My specs (same computer as back in June):
                    - I am running XP w/ SP3 on DELL desktop system
                    - Windows Update shows no updates available
                    - Have over 300GB of free HDD space
                    - running with 4GB of RAM
                    - I always copy to work folder and resize my images to <1000 px wide

This is what I have tried to fix the problem:
                    - Deleted "Premiere Elements\4.0" folder from my documents
                    - Held Ctrl+Shift+Alt when starting up
                    - Archived the project and tried again.
                    - I exported to AVI file and imported that to new project.

Nothing above helped.

I also use the half-life method of chopping the project in two halves to see where the error was. Then repeating... This was suggested back in June. Problem is I ended up with 8 sections and ALL caused the same issue. I tried to share to disk for previously successful project but ALL projects have the same issue.

Finally I uninstalled PE4 and did a defrag before reinstalling. This fixed the problem back in June when I originally posted the issue. Unfortunately THIS DID NOT WORK! I uninstalled and reinstalled twice with zero success.

Now I am truly stump as how to fix PE4

Anyone have any ideas?
                    • 7. Re: PE4 crashes when trying to share to Disk
                      Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                      Uninstall Quicktime, then install it again. Might be a good idea to go with the latest version, but the latest version breaks some other applications. Last known good version that I use is 7.3.1.
                      • 8. Re: PE4 crashes when trying to share to Disk
                        Level 1
                        Thanks for the tip. I uninstalled and reinstall Quicktime. I tried version 7.3.1 first and then the latest version (7.5.5). Unfortunately it did not fix the issue.
                        • 9. Re: PE4 crashes when trying to share to Disk
                          Level 1
                          Well, for whoever is interested, I solved my problem.

Unfortunately I am not sure exactly which this I did fixed it. I uninstalled a few small apps but those were install before the first time I had the issue. I uninstalled both PE4 and Photoshop elements 6. And I removed PE4 preferences.

Now it works again.
                          • 10. Re: PE4 crashes when trying to share to Disk
                            Any solution is a good solution, born. Glad you're up and running!