10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2009 4:47 AM by Steve Grisetti

"Recording Error: Recorder Captured No Frames"

Hi all,

I'm very frustrated right now because I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. :(

I have a Canon HV20.

I have it connected to my PC (Running Windows XP) via Firewire.

PE4 DOES recognize my camera because when I hit "Get video" on the capture panel. my camera does start playing the video and I see the timer on the capture panel.

However, if I get "Stop Capture", I get the error mentioned above:

"Recording Error: Recorder Captured No Frames."

The capture panel is also BLACK when it's supposedly capturing the movie.

Is there a setting on my camera or PE4 that I don't have correctly set?

I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong...

I could use any help you're willing to offer.

Thanks very much!
      Ted
        • 1. Re: "Recording Error: Recorder Captured No Frames"
          Level 1
          Hmm, okay... I figured out what went wrong...I had to change a certain camera setting. :)

Now a new question...

When I capture the video, it's somewhat pixelated...but I read in the Help's troubleshooting that this may be normal, not to worry.

But when I play back my video via PE, the resolution isn't as high as I would imagine... is this also normal? When I go to place it on YouTube, etc, will the resolution improve?

Or is there a setting I need to tinker with?

Please help and I would appreciate it! :)
          Ted
          • 2. Re: "Recording Error: Recorder Captured No Frames"
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            Are you capturing in hi-def or are you downsampling to standard DV, Ted?

And, whatever you're capturing, is your project set for that video resolution?

Unless you're planning to output to BluRay, there's no point in editing in hi-def and then trying to down-sample to a standard DVD in the end. You can set your camcorder to capture your video as standard DV-AVIs.

But, if you're going to work in hi-def and output BluRay, make sure, when you start your project, you've selected the HDV settings option.
            • 3. Re: "Recording Error: Recorder Captured No Frames"
              Level 1
              Hi Steve,

Thanks SO VERY MUCH for answering. :)

I believe I'm capturing in standard DV? There's a "DV" on top of my LCD in my camera...

I'm not sure if my project is set for that video resolution...how could I find out?

No, I'm not planning on outputting to BluRay.

Ugh... I wish there was a class that I could attend that specifically taught using PE4 with a Canon HV20! LOL!

Again, I appreciate your support, Steve!
              Ted
              • 4. Re: "Recording Error: Recorder Captured No Frames"
                Level 1
                Oh... I did get Lynda.com's training DVD for PE4...perhaps I should watch that and learn from it. :)

But I'm suspecting my problems are mostly originating with "Dumb User Syndrome!"
                • 5. Re: "Recording Error: Recorder Captured No Frames"
                  When you start a new project, click on the Settings button and choose the presets that fit the workflow for your project. If you're just working with standard definition DV, select that.

If you are working with standard DV, you'll get the best results if you downsample the video to standard DV as you capture it, as described in our FAQs.
                  http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc434fa

You'll also find lots of great tutorials and lots of my helpful "Steve's Tips" articles at our "sister" site http://www.muvipix.com.

Muvipix is a site set up by several of this forum's regular, with some help from Adobe, to support amateur and semi-professional videomakers. Registration is free, and that gets you access to the forum and lots of ad-free display space. On the products page, you'll find dozens of free tips, tutorials, motion backgrounds, DVD templates, sound effects, royalty-free music and stock video clips. Hundreds more are available for individual purchase or, for a small annual subscription fee that we use to keep the site running, you can have unlimited downloads from the ever-growing library of support materials and media.
                  • 6. Re: "Recording Error: Recorder Captured No Frames"
                    Level 1
                    Hi Steve,

As always, I know I can count on you for helpful advice.

And perhaps I need to seriously consider becoming a member of muvipix... to understand this process better, even if it's just as a hobby. :)

Again... thanks very much for taking the time to help those of us who aren't as knowledgeable!

Ted
                    • 8. Re: "Recording Error: Recorder Captured No Frames"
                      Did you ever get this solved (you do not mention the solution)? I can only capture in HDV. If I set adobe to DV (tried widescreen and stardard) and set the camera to playback in DV, I get no frames. Works just fine in HDV capture. This is with premier elements 4.
                      • 9. Re: "Recording Error: Recorder Captured No Frames"
                        Topic

"Recording Error: Recorder Captured No Frames"

Dave Exley - Recording Error - Recorder captured no frames

Hi all,

I'm very frustrated right now because I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I have a JVC digital camcorder.

I have it connected to my PC (Running Windows XP) via Firewire.

PE3 DOES recognize my camera because when I hit "Get video" on the capture panel. my camera does start playing the video and I see the timer on the capture panel.

However, if I get "Stop Capture", I get the error mentioned above:

"Recording Error: Recorder Captured No Frames."

The capture panel is also BLACK when it's supposedly capturing the movie.

Can anyone help.....please.

Dave.
                        • 10. Re: "Recording Error: Recorder Captured No Frames"
                          I'd recommend you start your own thread, Dave.

This one is 7 months old.