18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2008 2:08 PM by Felix G

Best way to produce video for youtube

Hi all
      I am a newbie here but wondered if anyone has any tips for using PE4 to produce high quality youtube video. I am capturing HDV from a Canon HV30. (As aside if anyone has any questions about how to get the HV30 / PE4 combination to work, please ask)
      Exporting it directly to youtube using the preset in PE4 leaves me with decidedly inferior quality results. Does anyone have any helpers

Thanks
      Kevin
        • 1. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          If you're just going to use the video as a 480x360 pixel video on YouTube (which is about all the bigger it lets you display) there's really no point in capturing in hi-def. You'll get better results if you downsample the video in the camcorder and work in standard DV, as we describe in our FAQs.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc434fa

Our FAQs also advise you the best settings for creating a video for YouTube.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc41287
          • 2. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
            Robert J. Johnston Level 2
            You can just forget about those links as they are obsolete, unless you just need standard quality instead of high quality. Go over to http://www.Muvipix.com for the high quality thread.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3063
            • 3. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
              I did update the FAQ settings, based on your discussion on the Muvipix forum, Robert. Or at least I thought I did.

If you can tell me what more I should change, I'll be glad to do it.

As with many solutions, you're so far ahead of the pack on this one that we trust your insight implicitly.
              • 4. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
                Level 1
                Thanks for your help guys.
                I am still a little puzzled as to what settings I could use.
                I don't want to capture in SD if at all possible as I like to save my video on my hard drive in HDV format for archiving purposes.
                The settings I came across in the thread you gave me are as follows :

Sorenson (version 2)
                3200 kBytes/sec bitrate limit (overkill). For 13 seconds of video the file size was 34 MB.
                high quality compression
                30 fps
                keyframe every 15 frames
                ALaw 2:1 audio, 16000 Hz, 16-bit stereo

Will these work in Premiere 4?
                Thanks
                Kevin
                • 5. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
                  I think you're going to have to be our guinea pig on this one, Kevin. YouTube does such bizarre stuff to whatever you post to it that the only way to know what will work is to try things and see what happens.
                  • 6. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
                    Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                    Use this:

Share > Personal Computer > Quicktime
                    Video Codec: Sorenson Video (TM) Compressor (Sorenson 2)
                    Quality: 100
                    Frame Width: 480
                    Frame Height: 360
                    frame rate: 30 fps
                    bitrate: 3700 kbps (bits per second)
                    field order: progressive
                    pixel aspect ratio: square 1.0
                    distance between keyframes: 15

You can now upload up to 10 minutes or up to 1GB file size.
                    You may have to wait several hours after uploading before you will be able to watch the video in high quality. Until then you only can watch in standard quality. When it is ready to watch in high quality, there will be a hyperlink below the player that says "Watch in Standard or High Quality." Here is one I uploaded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pas8BIKKDyQ
                    • 7. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
                      Level 1
                      Thanks guys for your help and suggestions. I will definitely try out those settings on the video I shoot on my forthcoming holiday

Kevin
                      • 8. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
                        Hi,i saved my movie using these settings Share > Personal Computer > Quicktime
                        Video Codec: Sorenson Video (TM) Compressor (Sorenson 2)
                        Quality: 100
                        Frame Width: 480
                        Frame Height: 360
                        frame rate: 30 fps
                        bitrate: 3700 kbps (bits per second)
                        field order: progressive
                        pixel aspect ratio: square 1.0
                        distance between keyframes: 15

and when i play my file,the sound never comes,can you help me thanks
                        • 9. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
                          It's probably your source files, Zack.

What types of video files did you use to create your project and what kind of camcorder or camera did they come from?
                          • 10. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
                            Sarahn51 Level 1
                            Hi,

I tried to upload a video I did to YouTube this weekend. And it wouldn't work.

The video is about 71/2 min long, with 4 still pictures and music( quick tracks). Ihave version 4 so I went to

share>personal computer>Adobe Flash
                            click the Advanced button and used these settings
                            Video coded: sorenson Video (TM) compressor ("Sorenson2)
                            Quality 100
                            Frame Width 480
                            Frame Height:360
                            frame rate: 30fps
                            bitrate 3700kbps (bits per second)

could not find a field order box or pixel aspect ratio box or distance between key frames box of ALaw audio or Hz or 16 bit stereo on the box that came up to put the numbers in.

It then compressed for about what seemed like an half hour to hour and then I tried to upload it to You Tube. It uploaded after about an hour and half. I got the sucessful up load message. But when I checked in my video box it said it couldn't convert. Agggggggg!

Help!!!! The only success so far I have had uploading is to re-make everthing in windows movie maker :( Thanks
                            Sarah
                            • 11. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
                              Please see the beginning of this thread, Sarah. The answers are in the first post.
                              • 12. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
                                I'm also having problems exporting to You Tube - the file created is invalid. Tried generating a flash video to my PC and it crashed my system! I'm so frustrated, I've got the movie created and can't share it!
                                • 13. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
                                  This discussion is going on in several threads, sometimes by the same people.

As I said here, though, this is a YouTube issue, and it's probably going to be up to you regulars to figure out a solution and share it with the others.
                                  http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b5e990/0
                                  • 14. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
                                    I have been tinkering with this problem for a day or so. Whatever commercial tool I tried didn't work. Results were still bad. <br /><br />Tnen I started playing with shareware and tried many configurations. Still junk. But there was one exception. With this tool, you should achieve good results.<br /><br />(1) Install WinFF at http://www.winff.org<br />Best of all, it's FREE!<br /><br />(2) Create a YouTube Preset for WinFF<br />After installing WinFF, make a profile specifically for YouTube. Just open Notepad and make a text file with the following code (copy paste between the lines below)<br /><br />----------------------------------------<br /><?xml version="1.0"?><br /><presets><br />  <YouTube><br />    <label>YouTube H.264 in MP4(4:3)</label><br />    <params>-r 30.00 -vcodec libx264 -s 640x480 -aspect 4:3 -b 2000k -acodec libfaac -ab 64k -ar 22050 -ac 2 -deinterlace -pass 2</params><br />    <extension>mp4</extension><br />    <category>Websites</category><br />  </YouTube><br /></presets><br />----------------------------------------<br /><br />Now save this text file as 'YouTube.wff' in the application directory (e.g., C:\Programs\WinFF)<br /><br />(3) Install the YouTube presets in WinFF<br />Under the menu item Edit > Presets, select 'Import' and locate the file 'YouTube.wff' <br /><br />(4) Select your video file for conversion<br />Open your high quality video in WinFF, and select from the drop down Convert to... [Websites] and submenu [YouTube H.264 in MP4(4:3)] <br /><br />(5) Adjust the video bitrate settings<br />The default video bitrate for this Preset is 2000kbps. In order to keep your file under the 100 megabyte upload limit, you will likely need to adjust this down, depending on the length of your video. Try not to go below 150kbps. Just enter a number in the Video Bitrate field.<br /><br />(6) Convert the file and upload it to YouTube<br />To lift YouTube's file size limit from 100 megabytes to 1 GB, use http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_multiupload. NOTE: This will still limit videos to 10 minutes length. But the more data you upload, the better the results. <br /><br />Overall, converting with this custom WinFF preset should yield better results.<br /><br />Good luck.
                                    • 16. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
                                      Felix G
                                      Dear Bill,
                                      I am trying your WinFF-tip.
                                      I've been busy the last few days for many hours searching the web, this forum, muvipix etc. to find a solution, comprehensible to ordinary mortals, to upload better quality movies to YouTube.
                                      (After spending hours of editing, it is quite disappointing to see your movie downgraded to such a poor quality.)
                                      So I am anxious to try your solution.

But: if, after having created the preset file and opened WinFF, I choose
                                      Edit> Presets> Import "Youtube.wff" (as instructed)
                                      a message says "Preset does not have a label".
                                      And if I choose
                                      File> Import Preset "Youtube.wff"
                                      the message says "Preset does not have an extension".

Same thing happens in Vista and in WinXP.
                                      Any ideas?
                                      Thanks
                                      Felix
                                      • 17. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
                                        rawatts
                                        Bill,

I have the same problem, but when I try import it seems to be looking for an extension other than .wff

Bob
                                        • 18. Re: Best way to produce video for youtube
                                          Felix G Level 1
                                          Hi
                                          I sorted this label-problem out already.
                                          The 3rd line
                                              YouTube H.264 in MP4(4:3)
                                          needs a opening label tag in front and a closing label tag at the end of the line.
                                          So type YouTube H.264 in MP4(4:3)
                                          (xxx meaning: label)

And File/Import Preset is obviously for activating a preset file, not for importing and adding presets to this file.

But the overall result is still nil; can't get this program working...
                                          Same with reprocessing with h264-codec and VirtualDobMod as explained in a tutorial of DerekForPresident on YouTube.

So far, only importing the avi PrEl produced in Movie Maker and uploading the WMV-file works.
                                          Has anybody already looked into uploading decent qual. files to YouTube with the new #7?
                                          Felix