10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2009 12:57 AM by grnskl

How do I lock clips to timeline?

Hey everybody. I am a new 4 user and am not used to the way that it 'thinks' so much and am not enjoying the self adjusting that it does to your timeline when you make any adjustments to clips or pictures earlier in the time line.

Ex1: Want to swap out a picture used in beggining of timeline - result: cuts soundtrack, and moves all pic/videos over to fill in gap by it self
      Ex2: Want to shorten a clip, all other clips move over to adjust.

When I shorten a clip, I want it to stay put on the timeline (not adjust others so that there is not a gap).

Can you guys suggest a best process to do this? I might still be caught up in old school, but anything would be helpful.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: How do I lock clips to timeline?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Hold down the Ctrl key as you adjust or move clips and you'll override the "ripple" effect.
          • 2. Re: How do I lock clips to timeline?
            Level 1
            Dude, you are the man. Thank YOU.
            • 3. Re: How do I lock clips to timeline?
              <ejsullivan34@adobeforums.com> wrote in message<br />news:59b5e37f.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI<br />> Hey everybody. I am a new 4 user and am not used to the<br />> way that it 'thinks' so much and am not enjoying the self<br />> adjusting that it does to your timeline when you make any<br />> adjustments to clips or pictures earlier in the time<br />> line.<br />><br />> Ex1: Want to swap out a picture used in beggining of<br />> timeline - result: cuts soundtrack, and moves all<br />> pic/videos over to fill in gap by it self<br />> Ex2: Want to shorten a clip, all other clips move over to<br />> adjust.<br />><br />> When I shorten a clip, I want it to stay put on the<br />> timeline (not adjust others so that there is not a gap).<br /><br />Instead of using cut to remove the clip, use clear.
              • 4. Re: How do I lock clips to timeline?
                I agree with the answers here, but I still think there really should be a 'mode' you switch into. I use these techniques but it is really easy to miss a Ctrl when adjusting and then you have that sinking feeling a few minutes later when you discover everything has moved, all your clips have fragmented and you don't know how far to go back.

I often do multi-camera events (dance shows, talent contests) and just want to sync the clips up (often painful) and know they are NOT going to move around on the timeline once I've done it. Is there a way to do this? An overall 'ripple mode' switch or something?
                • 5. Re: How do I lock clips to timeline?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  There is not, Brian. The Ctrl button is the ripple override.
                  • 6. Re: How do I lock clips to timeline?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Brian,

I agree that there *should* be a lock for all Tracks, like in Premiere Pro. I have seen what you describe and it is not fun. A "feature request" would be good for this. Do not know if PE7 has added Lock Tracks.

For multi-camera editing, you might want to look at Pro. It handles multi-camera quite well. There are not THAT many reasons to spend the extra $ to go to Pro, but this is one. From time to time, Adobe offers some sweet deals with upgrades from Elements to the Pro versions of the programs in the suites: Premiere, Photoshop. Some folk have gotten the CSx upgrades are wonderful prices from the Elements versions. Do not know of any "special offers" right now, but wouldn't hurt to check out the Adobe Store and see what's shaking, especially with PE7 being released, and CS4 coming real soon. Deals might abound. If I found one, I might even be tempted to upgrade from PE4 to get another additional license for CSx.

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: How do I lock clips to timeline?
                      grnskl
                      Is there some command for making all the clips the same duration and speed? Or for speeding up a selected block of them, all frames at the same rate? It ought to be easier to find. right?
                      • 8. Re: How do I lock clips to timeline?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Tony,

If the "Clips" are still images, Imported into PE, you can set their Duration in Edit>Preferences>General. This is the same place to also set Transition Duration, and several other preferences.

If the Clips are motion Clips, Imported into PE, they will come in at their Duration.

I'm not sure what speed changes you care to make, but Time Stretch *might* work for you. You can set to positive, or negative numbers to speed up, or slow down your footage.

Good luck,

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: How do I lock clips to timeline?
                          Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                          Probably the fastest way to make videos the same length is to expose the Video Out Point column in the Edit > Project panel. By default, the Video Out Point column is not exposed. You need to go through this procedure: Window > Show Docking Headers. Next click on the chevron >> way over to the right just above the share button. Select "Edit Columns" from the menu and then tick the box next to Video Out Point.

Then after entering the length in the field for one of the clips, copy it and then paste it into the others. You would have to paste it into each one separately. You can double-click on the next field and do a CTRL-V to paste.

I see that Adobe chose to display the duration only if the asset is selected. After selecting the field, you can tell if a value is editable by the blue underline.

If the video in point is other than zero, then you will have to use your noodle to do some more advanced calculations.
                          • 10. Re: How do I lock clips to timeline?
                            grnskl Level 1
                            That sure looked like the right procedure, Bill, but it didn't have the slightest effect. I didn't see any place that said "apply" and when I went back to the Clips place, my 200 was in the same place.

I noticed that I had somehow activated "detect beats," and that is roughly where it went from one slide to the next.

But I couldn't figure out how to deactivate that procedure. And the same thing happened when I tried to use the time stretch tool. I couldn't get rid of it. I did a select all, moved the red bracket to the end of the project, and pulled to the right. Only the last few slides showed any difference, and when I returned to the start and played it again, there wasn't any.