15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2009 2:15 PM by (DL_Jones)

Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements

(Lee_Stevens)
      I'm running a 2GB memory, 3.80 GHz, Pentium 4 PC with Windows XP SP3, Media Center Edition. Running Adobe Premiere Elements, V3.02 for over a year. Installed and started creating video clips with a Flip Video Mino Camcorder on 7/18/08. Part of its installation process, the Flip Mino installed the 3ivx MPGEG4 codec on the machine. Later when I attempted to do some other video editing with Premiere Elements, the program immediately aborted with an Application Error message ("The instruction at "ox0a0610e3" referenced memory at "0x000000018""). I tried a number of the suggested fixes from the Adobe Knowledgebase support site, "repairing" the product several times plus completeley uninstalling and re-installing Premiere Elements several times. Same problem. "codec conflicts" was mentioned on the support site. Having run out of ideas, I deleted the 3ivx codec software. Premiere Elements fired up and worked fine. I would like to keep the Flip Video Mino. Any suggestions about how I can install the Flip Video Mino and not have to remove 3ivx every time I want to use Premiere Elements? There are two other 3ivx users reporting the same conflict and exact same error message out on the 3ivx Invision Power Board forum.
        • 1. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          In my opinion, if you want to edit Flip video, you should consider a different video editing program, Lee. Otherwise, you're bucking the odds.

That said, the FAQs at the top of this forum offer a possible (and I POSSIBLE) solution. Your mileage may vary.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c05aeab/0
          • 2. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            3ivx is mpeg4 and Elements does not like mpeg 4. Its for watching not for editing.
            • 3. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
              (Lee_Stevens) Level 1
              Ann:

Thank you for your response. Apparently my description of the problem was not clear. I understand that 3ivx is for watching and Elements is for editing. Installation of the Flip Video Mino camcorder and its accompanying 3ivx codec on my machine immediately makes Elements unusable. Elements crashes during sign-on before it is up and running. I am not trying to use Elements to edit MPEG4 files. There is something within Elements which will not let it coexist with the 3ivx codec if it's on the same machine. There are a couple of people on the 3ivx knowledgebase forum who theorize that it's Adobe's problem. I am not technical but here's one of their theories: "Microsoft Knowledgebase seems to suggest this is a missing "virtual function" that was declared but not completed in the source code. Which might mean Adobe is attempting to use the virtual function except it was never linked anywhere when the codec was loaded.. leading to a crash behavior." Beats me what this means, I just know that I don't like to have to remove the 3ivx codec from my machine every time I want to use Premiere Elements.
              • 4. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
                Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                I once installed another company's video player, which caused the same problem. PE would try to open up, but then disappear. I had to uninstall the player to get PE to work. A few months later I tried it again, and didn't have the problem anymore. Don't know.
                • 5. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
                  (Lee_Stevens) Level 1
                  Steve: Thanks for your response also. The point I tried to make with my posting --- I am not attempting to edit Flip Video Mino clips with Premiere Elements v 3.0.2. When I USB-connect my Flip and it loads its software (including v 4.05.03 of the 3ivx codec), Premiere Elements cannot be used for any purpose. The PE program crashes during sign-on. When the Flip is disconnected and the 3ivx codec is uninstalled, PE is usable again. This is certainly a strange problem because I read posts on the 3ivx forum from two individuals who experienced the exact same problem (they didn't have a Flip) but had installed just the 3ivx codec independently. Also I've seen posts here that report some users can run PE while the codec is on the machine and they, in fact, can also edit the Flip clips with PE.
                  • 6. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                    When it comes to non-standard codecs, Lee, performance is going to vary greatly from machine to machine. That's just the nature of computers and non-standard or proprietary video formats. (It could be related to such intangible issues as the order or priority of the codecs in your computer, your operating system, other software installed, etc.)

So it's either going to work or it doesn't. In your case, unfortunately, it doesn't.
                    • 7. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
                      (DL_Jones)
                      (apologies in advance if this message shows up twice - had issues posting & registering...)

I'm having the exact same issue - after installing the on-board Flip Video software (required, in order to download them from the camera to your PC), PE 3.0 stopped working. The error:
                      ===
                      Font Capture: Adobe Premiere Elements.exe - Application Error
                      The instruction at "0x0a0310e3" referenced memory at "0x00000018".
                      The memory could not be "read".
                      Click on OK to terminate the program.
                      ===
                      Uninstalling the Flip Video software indeed fixes the issue.
                      But - is the consensus that "it's either going to work or it doesn't"? There's no fix, no patch, no update to anything? It's a known issue...
                      So the only solution is to return the Flip for a refund? As customers of both Adobe and Flip, you'd think someone would would to fix the issue...
                      • 8. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
                        +1
                        After installing FlipShare software, PE3.02 would not launch. I get the opening splash screen then nothing. I contacted Flip tech support and they passed the buck to Adobe. Seems I have to choose one or the other, Flip or PE3.02.
                        • 9. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
                          Lee,

Have you ever been able to find an answer for the issue with PE and Flip? I got a Flip Mino for Christmas and started having the exact same issues with the PE software you described. Utterly maddening!
                          • 10. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
                            After installing the Flip Share software, I was able to start up Premiere Elements 2.0, 4.0, and 7.0, but 3.0 never made it.
                            • 11. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
                              JUST DISCOVERED: When FlipShare software is installed, a component is added to one of the Quicktime folders. The file is 3ivxQTVideoCodec.qtx (Australia) and it is installed in C:\Quicktime\QTComponents.

That file seems to cause Premiere Elements 3 to fail to launch. You can add your initials as an extension to the filename, such as 3ivxQTVideoCodec.qtx.rjj, and you should be able to use Premiere Elements 3. Then if you want to use some feature of Flipshare software that needs that component, you will have to remove your initials.
                              • 12. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
                                (Lee_Stevens) Level 1
                                Fred A. Quimby:

Sorry for the delay responding. Not too surprisingly, my responses back from both Adobe and Pure Digital about the problem were also disappointing. Cynically, the bottom line of what I heard from both vendors was Hey!, what do you want with $100 products --- support? The product we supply works. If you have operational conflicts with other products, contact them.

My issues became even more aggravated with Adobe because I decided to upgrade the Photoshop Premiere Elements 3.0 and Photoshop Elements 5.0 I was running to version 7.0 for both products. Photoshop Elements appeared to install without errors. Premiere Elements installed but would not accept user sign-in or entry through the welcome screen. Research in the Adobe Knowledge Base showed a number of other users reporting similar Premiere Elements problems and getting no help from Adobe. I made the mistake of phoning the Adobe support line for help. After endless and frustrating time spent (over 2-1/2 hours in one session) in electronic hell suffering through numerous support personnel transfer attempts and disconnections, callbacks and further hang-ups, I sent a message to their Customer Support group and demanded a RMA# so that I could return both products and have my money refunded. This instantaneously invokes Adobes total you are the enemy treatment. Their form I received, which I returned several times to complete the product return was unacceptable to them for a variety of reasons --- e.g. the final version I emailed back did not show the tiny Adobe logo on it which the original form had. Unacceptable. Finally, the Adobes 30-day timeframe for product return ran out. Both products have been uninstalled and packed back in the original box since the day after I received them. My next step is to write to Ms. Ann Lewnes, Senior Vice President of Corporate Marketing & Communications at Adobe. Im not as interested in getting my money back any longer as wanting to describe to her the incredibly abusive, phony Adobe support organization she is fielding, in case she cares.

Sorry for the cathartic diversion. Regarding your question: at this point when I need to use Photoshop Premiere Elements 3.0 to edit videos on my PC, I must remove the Flip Codec 3ivX 4.502 before proceeding. To enable saving new Flip Mino clips onto my PC it is necessary for me to reinstall the 3ivx codec first. Welcome to the era of Windows 95-style product technology.

Good luck Lee Stevens
                                • 13. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
                                  (DL_Jones) Level 1
                                  3ivx is not going to fix this issue. In their latest release notes (for version 5.0.2), they state:
                                  Permanent Issues:
                                  Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2 crashes when loading the 3ivx QT Codec. There is a work-around available, simply rename the CompilerQuicktime.prm' file to 'zCompilerQuicktime.prm'. The file is located at 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0\Plug-ins\en_US\"
                                  ==
                                  from: http://www.3ivx.com/support/tbd_502.html
                                  ==
                                  ...so it's a "permanent issue" and only offer the work-around (which I recall reading didn't work for a couple folks who tried it).

Still finger-pointing: Adobe says it's 3ivx, and to uninstall the Codec; 3ivx says it's Adobe, and to rename that file.

I haven't tried the file rename yet, but probably will in the near future.

Lee: your support (or lack thereof) sounds like a nightmare. I didn't bother with either of them, just poked around until I found this forum and the one on the 3ivx site.

One of my favorite quotes: "Software without support is hardware."
                                  • 14. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
                                    Level 1
                                    DL Jones,
                                    Thanks for posting the workaround from 3ivx. I renamed the CompilerQuicktime.prm and now PE3.02 no longer crashes on startup. Some simple testing of the FlipShare software showed it to be working alright too. I was able to upload a new Flip video and view it in FlipShre. I was also able to load a .wmv file created by Flipshare into PSE3.02 and edit it. Is there any downside to the "workaround" that I might expect to run into? It appears to have fixed the problem.
                                    • 15. Re: Conflict With Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2, 3ivX 4.502 does not work with Adober Premiere Elements
                                      (DL_Jones) Level 1
                                      Ned Cooney,
                                      I haven't yet tried the work-around (haven't taken any flip videos lately), and that solution is not mine - it came from 3ivx...so I cannot vouch for it, nor predict any issues, but from what you describe it sounds like it's working for you.
                                      The net effect of renaming that file is just so that it will be loaded last when Adobe Premiere Elements starts up; the problem apparently was related to Adobe PE loading that file before some others, which caused the conflict.