6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2008 8:28 AM by paulgoelz

Transitions in looping video/audio in DVD menu

paulgoelz Level 1
      Ran across a bit of an oddity yesterday trying to make a DVD menu. I used a portion of a video clip as a looping video in the main menu. I checked the "add default transition" box for the audio and video. Default transition is a 2 second cross fade / cross issolve. The video did a nice dissolve at the loop point as expected but the audio acted as though the crossfade was applied to only the end of the loop, not the center of the joint. Ie., the audio faded out and then the level popped back to 100% as the loop began again. There was plenty of space before / after the in and out points in the loop. This would seem to be similar to another issue I discovered where PE refused to apply a transition to the joint between clip #1 and clip #2 until I moved clip #1 after clip #2. It then worked OK, even when I moved clip #1 back to the beginning of the project.

Anyone ever seen this before? It is not a major issue but it is annoying in that I can't do a clean loop.

Paul
        • 1. Re: Transitions in looping video/audio in DVD menu
          I would like to change the colors of the Stars Transition. Can anyone tell me how I can do that. Where do I find the artwork, does anyone know?

Thanks in advance
          Frank
          • 2. Re: Transitions in looping video/audio in DVD menu
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Frank,

You should post a separate article to the forum, as your use of a Transition is much different, than is Paul's.

It's easiest to answer one poster's question, or questions, than it is to try and answer those of many posters, where the subject does not apply.

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Transitions in looping video/audio in DVD menu
              Level 1
              Hi
              Thats what i wanted to do but can't figure how to.

Frank
              • 4. Re: Transitions in looping video/audio in DVD menu
                Paul_LS Level 4
                On the main forum page, above the list of threads there is Add Topic.
                • 5. Re: Transitions in looping video/audio in DVD menu
                  After busing Adobe DVD 500 I now have elements 4 and cannot find how to do AUDIO cross fade so that sound on 1 track mixes seamlessly with another track. Can anyone Help?
                  David
                  • 6. Re: Transitions in looping video/audio in DVD menu
                    paulgoelz Level 1
                    This thread sure wandered a bit.... ;)

David,

I have PE 3, not PE 4 so I am not sure if this answer is directly applicable to you... I think you are inquiring about PE 4?

If you are trying to do a crossfade between one TRACK and another, I am not sure there is a preset effect to do that. You would overlap the tracks sufficient to cover the crossfade duration and manually add a fade out to the first track and a fade in to the second, overlapping at the crossover point.

If, however, what you meant was crossfading between one audio CLIP and a following audio clip ON THE SAME TRACK, you apply an audio crossfade. Find it in the audio transitions section in the left pane, drag it to the joint between clips ON THE TIMELINE and position it where you want it.... entirely in clip #1, at the joint or entirely in clip #2.

Note that in order to be able to center the crossfade on the joint, the OUT point of clip #1 must be at least 50% of the crossfade duration prior to the end of the raw clip #1 and the IN point of clip #2 must be at least 50% of the crossfade duration after the beginning of the raw clip #2. This is to allow PE to include pre and post joint material in the crossfade. If you do not have enough "extra" clip material, PE will either not let you place the clip at the joint or it will show a part of it greyed out.

Since your question was not directly related to the question that started this thread, and because this thread was pretty much finished, it took a while for anyone to see it. Better to start a new topic with your question. That way it will get seen quicker.

Paul