5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2008 5:59 PM by Steve Grisetti

After Importing File, Audio Stutters 20 Minutes In, then Begins Repeating Initial 20 Minutes

I imported a 1-hour file that had been previously captured from an HDV camcorder. The file plays perfectly in other media players.

After importing (and indexing/conforming), the audio does fine for the first 20 minutes, then it stutters for about 2 minutes (this is at a point where someone accidentally started recording at the middle of full tape before being slapped and stopping). After the stutter period, it then just repeats the first 20 minutes of audio through the remaining 38 minutes of video (almost twice more).

Why? And what can I do to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: After Importing File, Audio Stutters 20 Minutes In, then Begins Repeating Initial 20 Minutes
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Assuming this is a tape camcorder and not an AVCHD camcorder and that you captured over FireWire, it could be a resource issue. Remember, HDV has over four times the video information that standard DV has, and it's highly compressed -- so that puts a lot of demand on your computer.

Without knowing how fast your computer is, how much RAM you have, etc., it's hard to say if this is the case ... but, with an hour of HDV on your timeline, it had better be a pretty hot machine (and ideally not a laptop) to handle that kind of workload!

Also, if you're using Vista, you'll need to optimize the operating system so that it doesn't waste resources on things like the Aero interface and the sidebar, etc.
          • 2. Re: After Importing File, Audio Stutters 20 Minutes In, then Begins Repeating Initial 20 Minutes
            Level 1
            Yeah the 1-hour file is 11 GB with an average data rate of 3.1 MB/s, so you think the PC itself is causing the issue? This particular computer is definitely not a workhorse, but it does meet the minimum reqs, for what little that's worth.

Regardless, the only reason I question the theory is because I've tried it three times and the issue happens at the same point every time. Also, I've been working on other things on the computer while it imports the file each time, so the computer's workload has varied each time. Does that change your opinion at all?

Let me know. Thanks for the input!
            • 3. Re: After Importing File, Audio Stutters 20 Minutes In, then Begins Repeating Initial 20 Minutes
              Sorry. Without more information about your hardware, camcorder and software, I can't help.
              • 4. Re: After Importing File, Audio Stutters 20 Minutes In, then Begins Repeating Initial 20 Minutes
                Level 1
                This ought to do it then...

Computer
                Gateway 550GR Desktop PC

Operating System
                Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1 (build 6001)

Board
                Intel Corporation D915GAG AAC77881-302
                200 MHz bus clock
                BIOS: Intel Corp. EV91510A.86A.0482.2006.0222.2350 02/22/2006

Processor
                3.20 GHz Intel Pentium 4 Hyper Threading
                16 KB primary cache
                1024 KB secondary cache

Memory
                2048 Megabytes Installed
                Slot 'J6G1' has 1024 MB
                Slot 'J6G2' has 0 MB
                Slot 'J6H1' has 1024 MB
                Slot 'J6H2' has 0 MB

Graphics
                ATI Radeon X1050 display adapter
                DELL 2707WFP monitor (27"vis, s/n TJ29871M0EQS, January 2007)

Optical Drives
                NEC DVD-RW ND-2510A ATA Device [DVD-RW drive]
                LITE-ON CD-ROM LTN-487T ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
                CLONEDRIVE SCSI CD-ROM Device [CD-ROM drive]

Hard Drives
                ST3300620AS ATA Device [Hard drive] (300.07 GB) -- drive 0
                DMI Ultra Disk Drive USB Device (500.11 GB) -- drive 9

Local Drives
                c: (NTFS on drive 0) 53.69 GB 26.76 GB free
                d: (NTFS on drive 9) 500.11 GB 264.25 GB free
                p: (NTFS on drive 0) 246.38 GB 188.12 GB free

Network Drives
                n: \\thecusn5200\nas 1932.23 GB 69.19 GB free

Printers
                HP Officejet Pro L7780 on 192.168.0.131_MY729220P7
                Adobe Acrobat Standard 8.0 on Local

Network Adapter
                D-Link DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev.B)

Virus Protection
                ESET Smart Security 3.0 Version 3.0
                • 5. Re: After Importing File, Audio Stutters 20 Minutes In, then Begins Repeating Initial 20 Minutes
                  With that operating system on that processor, you may not have enough power to handle more than a few minutes of HDV video, b.

I assume you've at least got Vista stripped down so that it can run on a Pentium.
                  http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7

But I'll leave that up to someone who has more experience with HDV on Vista to check in with his thoughts.