15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2008 11:29 AM by paulgoelz

Quick DVD burning question

paulgoelz Level 1
      If I create a DVD folder in PE, can I simply burn the resulting VIDEO_TS folder to a data DVD and have it play in any DVD player that supports DVD-R? Do I need a blank AUDIO_TS folder?

This works fine with my DVD player, but I suspect it supports more "standards" than some older players.

Paul
        • 1. Re: Quick DVD burning question
          Paul_LS Level 4
          For older players you will need to burn a Video_DVD... with a program such as NERO, not a simple data DVD. Did you get any burning software with your DVD drive?
          • 2. Re: Quick DVD burning question
            paulgoelz Level 1
            Yes, I have Nero 6. I tried that..... I told it to burn a DVD compilation with the files from the VIDEO_TS folder that PE made. It burned the first one just fine. And then proceeded to burn four coasters. I have no idea why... I didn't even exit the program, just told it to burn more copies. I'm trying again at a lower speed... the burner supports 16X and burns the VIDEO_TS folder as-is to a data DVD just fine at 16X but I'm running at 12X to see what happens.

It is also possible I was trying to burn to the DVD imatge recorder, whatever that is. I just noticed that it shows up as a device and might be the default. Is it perhaps an ISO builder? If so, it was definitely burning to the DVD... the disk was spinning and the LED was accessing. But each time it stopped at about the 75% point with a burn error.

I tell ya, I can fix the OS if it breaks, I can do dual and triple boot, I can work in Linux, I can edit and burn audio. But PC video has me climbing the walls. Oh for the days when video was..... video. A little dot flying across a phosphor screen. And NTSC was the only way to go.

Well, lo and behold.... as I typed this, it completed the burn at 12X. Let's see if it can make a couple more copies.

OK, calm down, Paul.... not a PE problem as far as I can tell. Just ranting.... The DVD really does look good. I am quite pleased, even if it was frustrating getting here. maybe the next one will be heaps easier.

Paul
            • 3. Re: Quick DVD burning question
              Paul_LS Level 4
              Glad you have got it sorted. Generally I burn DVDs at the lowest speed possible and never faster than 4x. Just seems to overcome "glitches" like freezes during play back on DVD players.
              • 4. Re: Quick DVD burning question
                PeterFDuke Level 1
                Nero burns both video DVDs and data DVDs. To burn a video DVD, select that option in Nero and then drag the video_ts folder from your folder to the red video_ts symbol in the left pane of Nero and burn.
                • 5. Re: Quick DVD burning question
                  paulgoelz Level 1
                  Until now, I have never had any trouble burning a DVD or CD as fast as the burner and disc would go. My DVDs are rated at 16X. I'm still not sure what the problem was, but it vanished when I dropped to 12X.

I don't know what you mean by the red VIDEO_TS symbol.... I have Nero Express 6. I am using the option "Burn image to disc". The only other option that seemed appropriate was "Make your own DVD video". I have not seen a red VIDEO_TS symbol. Nero seems happy with what I am doing though.... when I added the VIDEO_TS folder to a data DVD compilation it warned me that it might not play on standalone DVD players. When I added the VIDEO_TS folder to the "Burn image" function under the DVD menu, it didn't warn me and also added a blank AUDIO_TS folder to the finished DVD.

Paul
                  • 6. Re: Quick DVD burning question
                    paulgoelz Level 1
                    Just noticed something.... does this relate? When I added the VIDEO_TS folder to Nero, it defaulted to "Video9", which I think is a two layer DVD. I am using single layer (they are labeled 4.7GB). The project is about 4.25GB and does fit. But it is close. Could that have been part of the problem?

Paul
                    • 7. Re: Quick DVD burning question
                      paulgoelz Level 1
                      Um, I just noticed something else.... the DVD-Rs I am using are branded "Dynex". I could have sworn they were Taiyo Yuden, since that is the only brand I buy. But far as I can discern, Dynex is a Best Buy house brand? Maybe I bought them a while back when I didn't want to wait for mail order. OK, off to order the real thing..... still working great at 12X though.

Paul
                      • 8. Re: Quick DVD burning question
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Paul,

You might want to take a look at John T Smith's response in this thread: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc68e5f/6

While one can often get away with faster burns, higher bit-rates and other media, it's fairly easy to give your DVD a very good chance of playing in almost everything. A few minutes saved with a faster burn is often lost by having to re-burn.

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: Quick DVD burning question
                          Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                          You should have chosen the DVD Video option in Nero. That makes the DVD an official DVD Video that can play in as many players as possible. Otherwise, only DVD players that can read data discs will be able to play it. I have two DVD players, one can play the data dvd and the other cannot, but both can play the DVD Video.
                          • 10. Re: Quick DVD burning question
                            paulgoelz Level 1
                            As far as I can tell, I chose the correct option. It was billed as the option to choose when I want to burn a DVD video from "video file structure". I'll have to further research it tonight. Note that it did add a blank AUDIO_TS folder, which it does not do when you burn a VIDEO_TS folder to a data DVD.

I probably ought to stop by Goodwill and find the oldest DVD plpayer I can find for testing purposes, eh?

Paul
                            • 11. Re: Quick DVD burning question
                              paulgoelz Level 1
                              WHOA!!!!! I have always thought that a single layer DVD was 4.7GB and double that for dual layer. Period. But I just looked at the "bit budget calculator" and it implies that DVD-R is 3.95GB. For 4.7GB, you need DVD5. ??

Far as I knew, my DVD-Rs were just that.... DVD-R. But they do say 4.7GB on them, so maybe they are DVD5? I have never heard of DVD5 until today. My project is 4.2GB, give or take. It is burning OK at 12X but I had only one successful burn (and four failures at the same point) at 16X, which is the highest the media claims to support.

I think the major software vendors need to hire me as a consultant to advise them where things are confusing and how they could SO EASILY make them crystal clear. Been there, done that with PE.... much room for improvement. With Nero, it is not at all clear whether the project settings are defaults or whether they are read from the media. I am pretty sure that the max speed is read from the media. Not sure about maximum file size though.

Paul
                              • 12. Re: Quick DVD burning question
                                Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                                DVD 4.7GB is actually 448226928 bytes, more or less.

Edit: Oops. I take that back. But there's something involving 1024 * 1024.
                                • 13. Re: Quick DVD burning question
                                  Paul_LS Level 4
                                  4.7 Gigabytes or 4.37 Gibibytes... :)
                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD
                                  • 14. Re: Quick DVD burning question
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    Paul,

There is overhead involved with a Video DVD. You can get more "data" on a data DVD, but just a bit.

Two options would be:

1.) let PE "fit" your Project onto a DVD-5 (lower bit-rate), or Transcode it at a lower bit-rate, calculating all of your Assets with a bit-rate calculator.

2.) burn to a DVD-9 (DL), or spit your Project to two (2) DVD-5's.

The idea of having several DVD players to test on is a good idea. However, you can never test on every model of every machine, so a client/friend/family member still might have a "*******" player and have problems.

Remember, no DVD player is required to play ANY burned DVD discs. Most do, but they do not have to, by the specs. Best you can hope for is that you burned the best DVD possible and take your chances.

Hunt
                                    • 15. Re: Quick DVD burning question
                                      paulgoelz Level 1
                                      I did let PE burn it to fit a single layer DVD. It burned it to a folder (which I then burned to a SL DVD with Nero). PE didn't mention it specifically as DVD5 though, just DVD. But it selected about 5-point-something Gb/S and the folder is about 4.2GB, give or take so I assume it knew what it was doing. And it does fit my "4.7GB" DVD-R discs. The ones that ended up being coasters, you could see that it did not use quite all of the available writing area (compared to a burn that succeeded).