10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2008 12:05 PM by the_wine_snob

Does Premiere Elements 4 work with surround sound ?

Level 1
      Just a quick and easy question - does PE4 use surround sound when editing and compiling video ?

I am one step away from buying PE4.

I downloaded the trial version and knocked up a quick project which I burnt to DVD disc.

When I played the DVD though my surround sound system it only seemed to be in stereo - not surround ?

The video only had mp3 music on it so maybe thats why it wasnt in surround ?

I just wanted to check before I go and spend my money that PE4 is capable of using surround sound.
        • 1. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 work with surround sound ?
          Paul_LS Level 4
          It does not export surround sound.
          • 2. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 work with surround sound ?
            Level 1
            Thanks Paul

Do you know of an editing package like PE4 which does export surround sound ?
            • 3. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 work with surround sound ?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              @ Paul,

Though PE does not handle DD 5.1 SS, does the burning engine pass it through? Encore (same Sonic author-core, more or less) does. If one outputs a SS Track from P-Pro as AC3, Encore will burn the DVD fine. Same for DTS. Just curious.

@ John,

Premiere Pro will do 5.1 if you purchase the Minnetonka SurCode plug-in (an additional US$250), and does a great job of it. However, this is a much more expensive alternative. The DTS Minnetonka stand-alone encoder is another US$250+.

It seems that Final Cut Pro (do not know about the lower version) will do it, and there might be another. Mention has been made of some of the other NLE's that include 5.1. You might want to do a search of the Premiere Pro board, as some have complained that much less expensive NLE's contain the encoder. However, Neil Wilkes, the audio guru, points out that the encoders used are not certified Dolby Digital 5.1 SS encoders, and are not 100% compliant. How good they are, is up for debate. If you want DD Labs' certification, they would likely not work for you. If it's just for you, should be fine. Sorry, but I do not recall the other NLE's, but several are mentioned in the threads.

I'm so impressed with the Pro + SurCode plug-in, that I bought 2 licences for it (workstation and laptop), plus their DTS encoder. One note: the DTS Audio MUST be a supplemental Audio Track, as it is not an approved format for main Audio within the DVD specs. If you are serious about Surround Sound, the P-Pro ++ Minnetonka Audio encoders is a sweet way to go. Once you experience it, you will not wish to go back. Only limitation is that Encore only does DTS as a pass-through, so you cannot monitor it, except from your audio editing program. I use Audition for this. Not a cheap solution, but well worth the $ for me.

With P-Pro you get 3 trial uses of the SurCode plug-in. If you do buy it, make sure to order it from within P-Pro, as you will save ~ US$50 over the best Web price from www.minnetonkaaudio.com.

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 work with surround sound ?
                Paul_LS Level 4
                Hi Bill,

If you import a clip with 5.1 Surround Sound PE4 will place it on a 5.1 audio track at the top of the timeline stack. However it wont export it as 5.1 audio only as stereo.
                • 5. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 work with surround sound ?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Paul,

Thanks for the clarification. I could not imagine that it would handle the 5.1, as it is both NLE and authorware and I've not seen any of the Minnetonka SurCode plug-ins for it.

Appreciated,

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 work with surround sound ?
                    Level 1
                    Thanks Hunt,

So it seems that to export surround sound you need much more expensive software (semi-proffesional and proffesional)

None of the mid range packages I have been looking at (such as PE4) will export surround sound.

To do so will mean splashing out alot more money !

Am I right ?

Oh and just out of interest, what does NLE stand for ?
                    • 7. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 work with surround sound ?
                      Paul_LS Level 4
                      Take a look at ULEAD VideoStudio 11.5 for under $100.
                      http://www.ulead.com/vs/runme.htm
                      NLE... Non Linear Editor, for a definition look here:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-linear_editing
                      • 8. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 work with surround sound ?
                        Also have a look at Sony Vegas Movie Studio (<$100). Pinnacle Studio does not import DD5.1 (although it does export it).
                        • 9. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 work with surround sound ?
                          Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                          MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus ($84.99 download version) has a $10 plug-in that allows you to import and export DD 5.1.

Only trouble is that official technical support by email is on the poor side.
                          • 10. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 work with surround sound ?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            This is all good info to have handy. I always use P-Pro w/ the SurCode plug-in, so have not even looked closely at some of the other NLE's (sorry that I did not define that earlier) I have on my machines. Glad to know that there are so many others that do Export it, and they are not that expensive. Thanks for the responses.

@Robert,

I do agree about Magix. They have some good programs, but lack real manuals, Web support or even good forums. This is too bad, as their programs are very useful ones, but you just have to plug away with most of them, and hope you can figure them out. Many of the operations are totally unlike the workflow in Adobe's programs, so this is not always easy. My suggestion to Magix would be to expand the PDF's for each of their programs and charge US$20 more for each. I also do not recall any 3rd party books on their main programs, but maybe those are all in GR only.

Hunt