3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2008 5:07 PM by (Rob_Hix)

Are my video files adequately protected?

I have a 1TB internal drive on my new Dell XPS. I take about an hour worth of home movies per month. I have already filled 650 gigs of my drive after just 6 months. So the 2 key questions are:

1. WHAT IS THE RIGHT STRATEGY FOR STORING ALL THESE VIDEO FILES OVER THE YEARS?
      2. WHAT IS THE PROPER METHOD TO PROTECT AGAINST LOSING THEM

I have asked around and these are the suggested strategies:
      1. Stop taking so much video (no!)
      2. Compress the source files to a lossy format like H264 (then if I ever need to re-burn a project to DVD, it will not look as good)
      3. Get another internal 1TB drive and install in an empty bay (not bad but then i'll just have 2 drives both 95% full at the end of the year)
      4. Purchase an external network storage RAID array (lots of $$$'s)
      5. Burn the projects to DVD and delete the source files (DVD's go bad after about 10 years and you cannot re-burn the project ever without the sources)

UGH! Suggestions?
        • 1. Re: Are my video files adequately protected?
          Level 1
          I capture to a second internal hard drive and copy all of my source files to external drives (primary and backup)and then delete from the hard drive.

I copy back the source files into the second internal hard drive only when creating a project.

I then copy the final project files and source files to another set of external hard drives (primary and backup).

When I am convinced that all copies are OK, I then delete the files from the internal hard drive and am ready to start a new project.

Expensive? Yes, but reliable. My time spent capturing and editing is important to me.
          • 2. Re: Are my video files adequately protected?
            PeterFDuke Level 1
            What are your source video files? If Mini-DV tapes then keep the tapes and don't re-use them. Also keep your PE project files and any other resources such as still images. Then if the worst happens you can go back and re-make your DVD.

Another approach is to copy your DVDs before they fail. With utilities such as DVD Info Pro and KProbe2 (the latter requires a Lite-On DVD writer), you can monitor the soft error performance from time to time and copy a DVD if the soft error rate looks a bit high. (Soft errors always occur and are corrected automatically for you by error correcting code.)

You say DVDs have a 10 year life, but I think no-one really knows. Technology is very different now than it was 10 years ago. Certainly if you keep your DVDs in a cool, dark, low humidity environment on edge, use good brand-name blanks and don't use stick-on labels they will last longer than if you don't.
            • 3. Re: Are my video files adequately protected?
              I am terrible to ask this question. Most of my video is still on the tape. I admire anyone who can regularly sit down and transfer it. That being said, I have a couple of friends that dabble in videography on the side, and they WILL NOT trust DVDs. For them, their archives are on hard drive. That being said, hard drives will loose data if not refreshed every once in a while.

Basically, they purchase a new hard drive(s) for each project they do. When they transfer the video from the tape, they work off of the purchased drives. When the project is done, they keep everything on the hard drives. A couple of time a year they copy things around to different drives to keep things refreshed.

By the way, they also keep the original tapes.

Hope this helps,
              Rob Hix