3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2008 6:53 AM by the_wine_snob

Transcoding issues

I have a home made DVR using the snapstream product and recorded a news segment that included my son. Now I would like to cut it and burn it to DVD. the file extension is .tp and windows reports it as an mpeg file. it plays fine using Power DVD and windows media player, but when I bring it into PE the audio is fine but get sill frame. I have tried putting different extensions on it like .mpg, .mpeg, .vob and none transcode properly. When it leave the file extension at .tp PE just barfs.

Does anyone what is happening here? Is there some way to get it imported correctly?
        • 1. Re: Transcoding issues
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          You're not going to be edit DVR files in Premiere Elements, Chuck.

You may possibly be able to do it in Windows MovieMaker. But, as far as I know, it's only officially supported by a few video editors, such as VideoWave.
          • 2. Re: Transcoding issues
            Level 1
            That just is not right :-(

Thanks for the feedback
            • 3. Re: Transcoding issues
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Chuck,

Client had a DVR full of his wife's cooking shows, recorded from the TV. We hooked up his DVR to my Analog to Digital (A -> D) capture board (Turtle Beach) and, using the TB software, captured to DV-AVI (muxed) files. I then edited these in P-Pro (PE should work exactly the same).

If you do not have an A -> D converter on your system, take a look at the Pyro FW box (listed in the FAQ with URL for purchase), or the lower-end Canopus capture devices. I believe that they are in the US$150 range, about the same as my TB card (with front-side BOB). Stay far away from any Dazzle product. You also want a FireWire connected box, not a USB one. The USB would possibly work with its included capture software, but many are limited in the file types they capture to. You want DV-AVI files, so check this out, before you buy. I have used uncompressed AVI's, but the result is the same, quality wise, and the files are monsterous! DV-AVI is the way to go. Files still not small, but you'll be going to DVD (MPEG-2), when you burn to disc.

All is not lost, but you'll need an additional link in the chain.

Hunt