10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2008 2:45 AM by Ozpeter

New Premiere & PS Elements Announced

the_wine_snob Level 9
      Folk might be interested in taking a look at this announcement:
      http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2008/08/all_the_best_of_photoshop_and.html

I have not read all of the details, but it sounds like a new version of each of the Elements apps. has been announced.

Hunt
        • 1. Re: New Premiere & PS Elements Announced
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Yes. They're due to be released in late September or early October.

I'll be posting an article soon to Muvipix.com discussing the new features.
          • 2. Re: New Premiere & PS Elements Announced
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            That would be great Steve. The Adobe site did not go into a lot of detail, as to what new features would be included, just sales puff.

It's also interesting that Adobe jumped a few version numbers on Premiere Elements, so it and PSE now match. That should eliminate some confusion on one hand, but will probably cause some, as people try to find vers. 5 & 6.

Looking forward to your article,

Hunt
            • 3. Re: New Premiere & PS Elements Announced
              Al Brito
              Will it work with Vista 64??
              • 4. Re: New Premiere & PS Elements Announced
                The software is not yet, as far as I know, 64-bit compatible.
                • 5. Re: New Premiere & PS Elements Announced
                  Here's my What's new in Premiere Elements 7 article.
                  http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=44
                  • 6. Re: New Premiere & PS Elements Announced
                    Ozpeter Level 1
                    On an AVCHD forum elsewhere there is of course immediate interest in this, and these kinds of questions are being asked -

1. Will it edit AVCHD in native format, through proxies, or only after a transcode.
                    2. Will the AVCHD output files or disc images avoid the quality loss evident in some editing products.
                    3. How stable will the software be when editing AVCHD.
                    4. Is rendering at all accelerated by "smart rendering" (aka simple copy) if clips have no effects and need no re-coding.
                    5. Will it handle 1920x1080 at 60i, 24p, or even 30p; or can it tackle AVCHD at 25 mbps
                    6. Will it produce both AVCHD-DVD and Bluray discs with menus and play them on a wide variety of dedicated player devices.
                    7. Will the "Dolby Digital" support mean that it will import Panasonic videocam clips with native DD5.1 sound and preserve the 5-channels without downmixing.

I suspect the answer will be "wait and see".
                    • 7. Re: New Premiere & PS Elements Announced
                      All reports so far are that it handles AVCHD very well. But you may need to wait until it's out in the field to hear from fellow users for real world reports.

But it does edit AVCHD in its native format.

And you can burn BluRay disks with H.264 compression.

I don't know how many of your technical questions I can answer beyond that. You may need to wait until the actual software is released, at which time a rep from Adobe may appear so he can answer these specific questions.

Hope that helps though!
                      • 8. Re: New Premiere & PS Elements Announced
                        Ozpeter Level 1
                        Thanks! I've pre-ordered and the receipt said "Pre-order Estimated Availability Date Monday, 22 September 2008" - but subject to change.

Like most people using AVCHD I've wandered lonely as a cloud from one AVCHD app to another, coming to grief on the shortcomings of each (some do work pretty well but just don't quite have the killer feature set) so I consider myself quite well qualified to comment on the usability of AVCHD in Premiere Elements vs the rest, when it does arrive - I shall report in due course!
                        • 9. Re: New Premiere & PS Elements Announced
                          PeterFDuke Level 1
                          >4. Is rendering at all accelerated by "smart rendering" (aka simple copy) if clips have no effects and need no re-coding.

You can't have smart rendering if the output format is not identical. For instance, normal DVD from any HD source would require rendering.
                          • 10. Re: New Premiere & PS Elements Announced
                            Ozpeter Level 1
                            In Nero Vision for instance (and others) you can create AVCHD DVD's which play on bluray players in full high def. And if the source material is AVCHD (with no transitions and effects) then the selected parts of the clips go straight from input to output at data copy speeds with no rerendering and thus no loss of the AVCHD copy (no rude comments please!).

So, it would be very nice if Premiere Elements not only writes AVCHD DVDs as well as Blu Ray discs (who can afford those?) but also if, where possible, it avoided transcoding in doing so.

If it doesn't it will just join the list of the "almost there" AVCHD editors. Those there already either have functional limitations but can smart render (Nero Vision) or have a good feature set, but re-render all frames whether that's necessary or not, with attendant risk of quality loss (Studio 12 for instance). And in some the risk becomes painful reality with some types of shot.

I shall contain myself in patience for a month in hope.