10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2008 5:09 AM by (Boyd_Crow)

Encoding MJPEG for Canon DV AVI format.

I have a large number of high quality AVI clips from my Canon Powershot.
      I wish to edit these in their native format and store in same. I do NOT want to use Microsoft DV AVI because it DOUBLES the size of the files. I do not want to use MPEG because these files will need to be edited further before final output at some future date and I do not wish the quality to be degraded by unnecessary compression.

I downloaded the LEAD MCMP MJPEG codec but there seems to be no way to get Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 to recognize it.

Can anyone help me?

By the way, those who denigrate still-camera video have not seen a comparison between Canon DV tape video and Canon Powershot video. I have both and the Powershot IIS video is clearly better.
        • 1. Re: Encoding MJPEG for Canon DV AVI format.
          Robert J. Johnston Level 2
          File > Export > Movie > Microsoft AVI (NOT Microsoft DV-AVI) > Lead MCMP/MJPEG on the video tab.
          • 2. Re: Encoding MJPEG for Canon DV AVI format.
            Level 1
            Thank you so much. I was able to select the LEAD codec. By setting the video properties to quality 45% and audio to 44.1 KHz, I was able to essentially duplicate the file size and quality of the original clips.

I spent hours researching this. Canon tech support was less than useless. It took four exchanges for them to tell me the camera AVI format was MPEG-2, which is just wrong!
            • 3. Re: Encoding MJPEG for Canon DV AVI format.
              Barb__O Level 4
              Rob and Boyd,

Hmm.... potential for playing on a photo frame by using the Premiere Elements export to MJPEG ??

This is interesting information because potentially an mjpeg export could also be used for playing a user created slide show on one of those photo frames. Usually the frame contains the logic for displaying the photos with no optional choices except perhaps which mp3 for the music.

Some of these photo frames accept MJPEG video files: probably so that they can play the video clips from the Canon point and shoots. So if the MJPEGs from Premiere Elements using the LEAD codec can be processed by the photo picture frame, that is a potential method for playing a user created slide show on the photo frame.

I don't know how to predict whether it would be successful because there are so many brands of the photo frames and so little documentation on exactly what video formats they will play.
              • 4. Re: Encoding MJPEG for Canon DV AVI format.
                Level 1
                I have played Canon AVI format files on one of those picture frame displays. Unlike MPEG where there are key frames only at intervals and only the "delta" or change information is sent in between, MJPEG files consist of a series of complete pictures. The only compression is applied to individual pictures, like a JPEG photo file. However, they are much larger than MPEG. At 640 x 480, 30 fps, the files use up 2MB per second. Still, the quality is excellent and suitable for short clips.
                • 5. Re: Encoding MJPEG for Canon DV AVI format.
                  Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                  Quicktime also has MJPEG. You would want the MJEPG-A format, not the MJPEG-B format. You'll have more Quicktime audio options by accessing Quicktime through the Share route instead of the File > Export > Movie route.
                  • 6. Re: Encoding MJPEG for Canon DV AVI format.
                    Barb__O Level 4
                    >I have played Canon AVI format files on one of those picture frame displays

Boyd,
                    I have a Canon A650IS and I am curious - which brand of photo frame and, if you have it available, posting the exact model would be useful.

Also, can you play an MJPEG that you exported from Premiere Elements on that photo frame?
                    • 7. Re: Encoding MJPEG for Canon DV AVI format.
                      Level 1
                      Westinghouse - 8" LCD Digital Photo Frame - Brown/Black Model: DPF-0804

I purchased this unit from Best Buy about a year ago, after extensive research on the Web. The specifications specifically state that it will play AVI and MJPEG. The 8" diagonal screen is very impressive and suitable for client presentations. I gave one as a gift to an avid photography. It's much lighter than a computer for portable use.

Memory cards accepted: SDHC, CompactFlash, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Microdrive, MultiMediaCard, SD Memory, Memory Stick Duo, XD-Picture, Memory Stick PRO Duo

The memory cards slots make it ideal for in-the-field shot reviews when that 2.5" camera screen isn't enough (but AC power is available).

Several buttons on the unit direct which memory card is being accessed, whether video or stills are being displayed, and provide simple selection of photos for slide show display with a few choices of transitions.

The USB interface can be used to download pictures or enable your computer to read the memory cards plugged into the frame (photo files or data).

I have no association with Westinghouse or Best Buy, which appears to be the sole distributor and currently has them on sale for $20 off the usual price.
                      • 8. Re: Encoding MJPEG for Canon DV AVI format.
                        Level 1
                        I forgot to mention the best part: the Westinghouse display is 800 x 600 not the usual 640 x480.
                        • 9. Re: Encoding MJPEG for Canon DV AVI format.
                          Barb__O Level 4
                          Boyd, thanks for all that information.

>Westinghouse display is 800 x 600 not the usual 640 x480.

Great for the photos. What happens with the 640x480 video from the Canon Powershot camera - is it upsized to 800x600 or does it display at 640x480?
                          • 10. Re: Encoding MJPEG for Canon DV AVI format.
                            Level 1
                            Unfortunately, I cannot remember the if the video display was vignetted or expanded to full screen. I do not have the photo frame in my possession to check.