3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2008 3:25 AM by Steve Grisetti

Sony Camera not recognised under Vista / Pr.El 4

Hi there
      I have recently moved to a new notebook with Vista installed. So I then had to upgrade from Pr.El 2 to Pr.El 4
      When I plug in my Sony PC110E PAL in via firewire it is as if the notebook does not see it. It also does not ask for any automatic hardware driver update. The camera is not seen under device manager. Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks
      Ashley
        • 1. Re: Sony Camera not recognised under Vista / Pr.El 4
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          You're saying that Windows won't recognize your camcorder, Ashley?

If so, your problem goes deeper than Premiere Elements and is most likely a hardware issue.

If you plug that camcorder into another computer, does it recognize the connection? If not, it could be a problem with the cable.

BTW, make sure that you are using a FireWire (iLink) connection and NOT the USB connection, which functions differently.
          • 2. Re: Sony Camera not recognised under Vista / Pr.El 4
            Level 1
            Hi there
            Steve thanks for the response. We actually looked at the cable & realised that it wasn't going far enough into the camcorder. My husband cut a bit of the plastic off so that more of the end went in & then it works as long as one holds it in - as if its still not long enough or perhaps something has broken inside & its not getting a full connection.
            I managed to upload about 10 mins of footage physically holding it & keeping pressure on the camera - but as soon as I relax my grip it looses the connection. I have another tape with 90 mins of holiday footgae - but there is NO way I can hold it for that long !!
            We will try another cable. What do you find is normally the lifespan of camcorders? This one is about 8 years old. Am I right that if we do need to buy a new one then Mini-DV tape with firewire is the best way to go to interface to Pr.El ??
            Thanks as always for your help
            Ashley
            • 3. Re: Sony Camera not recognised under Vista / Pr.El 4
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              I've never worn out a camcorder, Ashley.

I've dropped one. Retired another, when I went from analog to digital. And even had to replace the little back-up battery inside on another. But my original DV camcorder (a Digital8, no less!) is 10 years old and still works great!

I did recently retire that one too, though, so I could switch over to a more standard miniDV. And, yes, miniDV is still the way to go, if you want to edit on your home computer!