2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2008 9:24 PM by Robert J. Johnston

Get the Red out

Hi all,

I'm working on a video that I took in a church of a wedding for my cousin and I'm using PE4. The issue issue, for whatever reason, some of the footage has a red tint to you. To be honest, I have no idea why considering I was in the same spot the entire time and it only appears for a few minutes on the video, before correcting itself.

My question is simple, what is the best way to eliminate the red. I used some of the Video Effect settings, the problem is, I only need to apply it to the affected area. But, when the video reached the unaffected area, the quality of that image is far better than the how I altered the other part.

Is there an automatic setting that will adjust it? It seems really inaccurate to try it manually. HELP!!!
        • 1. Re: Get the Red out
          I assume that you are using one long clip rather than having detected and generated 'scenes' but the principle would be the same.

1. Cut the clip at the end of the part that is 'red'

2. Apply your correction only to the red part.

3. If there is a gradual change from red to no red you may have to do more than one cut.

4. You may also have to do a 'transition' to blend the corrected to the non corrected so that the change is less noticeable.

BTW - I am really only a newbie and there seems to be a lot to learn when you start playing around with colour correction; I'm not to bad on contrast/brightness but colour is a different ballgame ;-)
          • 2. Re: Get the Red out
            Robert J. Johnston Level 2
            Here is something I posted back in 2007.

When there is an overall color cast, I think the Tint effect does a pretty good job of cleaning that up. It would be nice if there were adjustments for highlights, shadows, and midtones.

What I do is take the white eyedropper and sample an area that I think is suppose to be neutral -- not the bright or dark areas -- somewhere in the midtones. Then I click on the color swatch and change the HSB values by subtracting or adding 180 from the (H)ue value to get the inverse. Then I increase the (B)rightness to 100 and (S)aturation to 100. Click OK.

Next move the tint slider to 50%.

I then go back in to the color swatch and increment the hue one degree and check the results. I keep doing that a few times. When it's about as good as I think I can get it, I add the Auto Contrast effect. Then I fiddle with the white point, black point, and blend values. Temporal smoothing may also help with video.

It's not perfect.