7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2008 2:07 AM by (Heinz_Aisenbrey)

Fatal error when saving HDTV project to tape

Hello,
      when trying to save a HDTV project (50 min.) to tape PE3 starts transcoding (HD activity observed), but after appr. 30 seconds I get the following error message:
      "A fatal error occurred: [..\API\Inc\BE/Audio/AudioSubBuffer.h-105]. The program has to be terminated"
      PE3 then crashes completely, not being able to save the project.
      I'm using Windows XP SP3 with latest updates. There are 20 GB free space on my HD. I am able to save the project to a HD folder as a *.m2t file without any problems.
      Any idea what is causing the error?

Heinz
        • 1. Re: Fatal error when saving HDTV project to tape
          Paul_LS Level 4
          Have you tried to save the .m2t file to tape? This may work but it will re-render on exporting to tape.

Also 20GB is on the low side... HDV is 13GB per hour, espeially if render files are generated.
          • 2. Re: Fatal error when saving HDTV project to tape
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            I agree, Paul. With 20 gig of free space -- particularly on a C drive, where the operating system is constantly writing and fragmenting files -- this program really has to room to work with the video.
            • 3. Re: Fatal error when saving HDTV project to tape
              Level 1
              Hi Paul and Steve,
              thank you for your fast response, but the problem can't be resolved as easy as it seems.
              I am using a separate 160 GB HD dedicated only for PE3 and the HDTV files, i.e. PE3 is installed on this HD. The *.m2t file of the project is 9.5 GB. After expanding free HD space to 25 GB the same error message occurs. I am trying to save the project to my HV20 camcorder from Canon via FireWire. Several Months ago I've successfully saved a smaller project (18 min.) to tape with the same SW/HW configuration.
              Windows XP then was SP2.
              Due to re-rendering I'm hesitating to use the *.m2t file for that job.
              • 4. Re: Fatal error when saving HDTV project to tape
                Level 1
                Hi Paul,
                now I've tried to save the *.m2t file to tape - and it worked! How did you know? After loading the file into a new project (using 2GB of HD space) saving to tape started with a new rendering process. After saving to tape was finished, another 2GB of HD space still is in usage. The job was done in a bit more than 2 hours.
                CPU usage was 100% (AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core).
                Now I've got even more questions:
                1. Why does the error occur in the original project only?
                2. How much quality gets lost by re-rendering the *.m2t file?
                3. How can I get rid of the additional 2GB of HD space?
                4. What is the reason of the error in my original project?
                Can anybody explain that to me?
                • 5. Re: Fatal error when saving HDTV project to tape
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  And, Heinz, make sure that second drive you're using is formatted NTFS and not FAT32. FAT32 drives (as they come from the factory) have a file size limit that could well be choking the program.
                  • 6. Re: Fatal error when saving HDTV project to tape
                    Paul_LS Level 4
                    The reason I suggested was that standard DV-AVI files sometimes give this error on burning, and it can be resolved by first exporting to DV-AVI and then burning this file. I am not aware of the source of the issue but this error message has appeared a couple of times previously in the forum.

Regarding the 2GB of HD space, this might be a file generated while conforming the audio. You should start a new folder for each project. then when you have completed the project you can delete the folder and clean up the temporary files generated for the project.
                    See this FAQ:
                    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbc8177

One re-rendering pass will not affect quality too much. I have found that PE3 is good at re-rendering HDV. Best way to check is to view both files and see if you can determine any difference.
                    • 7. Re: Fatal error when saving HDTV project to tape
                      Level 1
                      Hi Steve,
                      the drive's file system is set to NTFS. I'm not new in this business - I've been using FinalCutPro and FinalCutExpress for quite some time - but I'm using PE3 since Oct. 2007 only.
                      Hi Paul,
                      thanks for your advice. It's a bit frustrating that there is a known error out there and the only remedy is to re-render the whole project.
                      Question: does the same error appear in PE4, too?