5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2008 12:16 PM by (Philip_Vrana)

convert Wmv slide show to individual jpeg files

My pictures were damaged from a virus so that I cannot access my photos. I do have Wmv slide shows for 1450 pictures, but unable to access them individually. How can I convert the slide shows Wmv created in Premiere elements to jpeg files to reload into elements? Phil
        • 1. Re: convert Wmv slide show to individual jpeg files
          Level 1
          I would try to recover the photos. Has the virus actually damaged the photo files or just you're access to the files? I don't see how a virus would damage the actual image files themselves, but I guess anything is possible.

What have you done to date to remove the virus?
          • 2. Re: convert Wmv slide show to individual jpeg files
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Phillip,

A utility (not freeware) that I have used successfully to recover lost an damaged files is Stellar Phoenix. It is not cheap, but it is very good. I liked it so much that I bought three licenses for it for my main machines, just in case. They do have a Demo Download:
            http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm?gclid=CMKix73gvZUCFSJIagodCVhqPw

(watch for line break)

I got the full suite, but they offer stand-alone modules. You might try out the demo and see what it finds.

Good luck,

Hunt
            • 3. Re: convert Wmv slide show to individual jpeg files
              Level 1
              The problem is not lost pictures, it is they were corrupted. When I started in 2003 I used the photoshop to scan photos, correct & crop them, then went to the photoshop starter edition. I learned I could not make a dvd with that program, so had to go to elements and premiere elements.

In the transfer and additional corrections to photos over a year, I learned that each photo had a root, and that some of mine were on the C drive, and some were in my external hard drive. Recently a virus corupted my c drive, and had to clean it off. The files were saved, but when backed up to the external drive, and files were corrupted. I now have about 80% of my pictures previously saved on as pdf on a cd, as well as the dvd slide shows in wmv.

I have the slide show saved in pdf as well as wmv, but unable to open individual files. Do I go back to scanning photos???
              • 4. Re: convert Wmv slide show to individual jpeg files
                Barb__O Level 4
                Philip,

>I have the slide show saved in pdf as well as wmv, but unable to open individual files.

Since you say that you have the slide show saved as a PDF, I wonder if that PDF had been a slide show made in Photoshop Elements or Starter Edition (because it offers options for saving in PDF).

What I think is significant is that the PDF file of the slide show may contain higher resolution images than the WMV file.

The Adobe Reader does have some options for extracting photo files from a PDF file, so that is worth investigating. It has been a long time since I used those options, so I don't have specifics to offer. If you do pursue working with the PDF files, I recommend that you post on the Photoshop Elements forum at http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbb4ab0/ or the Adobe Reader forum which seems to be at http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ee6b2e6/
                • 5. Re: convert Wmv slide show to individual jpeg files
                  Level 1
                  Both the slide show in wmv and pdf were made by Premiere elements. Phil