9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2008 5:49 AM by (Mark_Miocevich)

Problem encoding output of elements slideshow with PE3 for DVD burn

Hi,

I am running a Quad core QX6700 processor an 8800GTX video card and 2 GB of RAM.

Created a 38 minute slideshow using elements 5 and exported it to an AVI file in NTSC format (approx size of 880MB). Broke that down to 16 clips that run consecutively in PE3. Created a DVD adding title slides, credits and menu etc. Tried to burn to DVD and got through the coding, then computer hung overnight. Cancelled and thought to just try again. Same story. Got a cryptic message about not being able to find a Cineplayer codec and read another post that suggested there may be problems running Roxio and PE3, so uninstalled Roxio. Then tried to export the project as an MPEG2. As it was rendering got to 67515 of 67522 frames and program hung again. Deleted the credits from the end of the video and tried to export again, this time hung 11 frames short of the end of the shorter project.

I am able to view the rendered MPEG2 in windows media player, but consistently get messages about the missing Cineplayer codec. Is it possible that during the initial hang when Roxio was running that I lost this video codec?

Am at my wits end and would really appreciate help, as this is the first time have used the program and am working on my mothers 70th birthday lifestory slideshow
        • 1. Re: Problem encoding output of elements slideshow with PE3 for DVD burn
          Level 1
          Should have added that I am using v3.0.2 of PE3 with Vista Home Premium
          • 2. Re: Problem encoding output of elements slideshow with PE3 for DVD burn
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            Have you tried this, as recommended in the FAQs at the top of this forum?
            http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b5f52c
            • 3. Re: Problem encoding output of elements slideshow with PE3 for DVD burn
              Level 1
              Steve,

Did exactly as you had suggested in that earlier post. I created a "pure" AVI project in Photoshop Elements and imported it as an 800MB file to Premiere Elements. In terms of space I have 500GB RAID 1 disks (with 50GB total on them) for storing the project and my program files are on a 140GB RAID 0 setup.

When I tried to burn to a folder rather than directly to a disc the project almost completes the rendering process and then comes to a complete halt 7-15 frames from the end (even after removing the a section of the project - as suggested in a different post). This is incredibly frustrating as I end up with and MPEG that has titles, show and credits, but the program doesn't get to generate the DVD menus etc.

Then when I open up the MPEG in something like Windows media player start getting the messages about Cineplayer decoder not being available

Any other suggestions would be appreciated
              • 4. Re: Problem encoding output of elements slideshow with PE3 for DVD burn
                Make sure your drive is formatted NTSF rather than FAT32, of course.

Otherwise, it's possible you've got some "invisible" temp files choking your drive. A good cleaning might help.
                http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a

Otherwise, if you have plenty of room on your drive and a "clean" AVI won't transcode without problems, the issue likely goes deeper than the program and may be something more fundamental on your system. And there I won't be able to help you.
                • 5. Re: Problem encoding output of elements slideshow with PE3 for DVD burn
                  Level 1
                  Steve,

Thanks for your advice - my drive is formatted as NTSF...

I haven't run the cleaners yet, but tried another tack - I uninstalled PE3 and ran a manual delete of any files/folders that it had created on my system. I then reinstalled the program and updated to PE 3.0.2. Then tried to work through the in-program tutorial - to see if the problem was the file I was working with. Turns out that I got hung up again - ApphangB1 in Vista. I Googled that and Elements and found one reference to someone who had to install the latest version of Acrobat. I have the latest version, so am not sure what to try next.

Again any advice would be greatly appreciated
                  • 6. Re: Problem encoding output of elements slideshow with PE3 for DVD burn
                    This is basic, but have you optimized Vista, per our FAQs at the top of our forum?
                    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7
                    • 7. Re: Problem encoding output of elements slideshow with PE3 for DVD burn
                      Level 1
                      Steve,

Thanks for your advice - my drive is formatted as NTSF...

I haven't run the cleaners yet, but tried another tack - I uninstalled PE3 and ran a manual delete of any files/folders that it had created on my system. I then reinstalled the program and updated to PE 3.0.2. Then tried to work through the in-program tutorial - to see if the problem was the file I was working with. Turns out that I got hung up again - ApphangB1 in Vista. I Googled that and Elements and found one reference to someone who had to install the latest version of Acrobat. I have the latest version, so am not sure what to try next.

Again any advice would be greatly appreciated
                      • 8. Re: Problem encoding output of elements slideshow with PE3 for DVD burn
                        I also did a search on ApphangB1 and there are many references to problems with it -- and it's certainly not unique to Premiere Elements or Adobe products.

It's obviously something that needs to be remedied in Vista itself.

But, if you've followed my advice above, you've updated all your drivers, firmware, Quicktime and Realtek drivers. If you've done all that, though, and are still having problems, I'm not sure what else to tell you. Sorry.

You can try this move, which sometimes fixes these strange problems.
                        http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c05cac2
                        • 9. Re: Problem encoding output of elements slideshow with PE3 for DVD burn
                          Level 1
                          Steve,

Thanks for your help - you are amazing in your persistence and ideas. I tried your suggestion regarding the fix that was out there - regrettably it didn't work.

However it got me to thinking that there was a problem with the authorization levels that I was using in Vista. I was running Premiere as a user, rather than at the owner level. So I opened up the program as the owner and then tried the tutorial that was causing the program to hang and had no problems whatsoever. I went back to running as a user and had exactly the same problem. There must be some conflict between the user and owner level of operation.

I recall that there were issues with Vista and Adobe programs when they launched Vista and this may be one of those problems. I haven't gone back to my original project yet, but am feeling hopeful

Thanks again for your help and suggestions

Mark