6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2008 11:48 AM by (shaftoe)

2 questions re efficiency in very large project using PE3

Level 1
      I have a project that will be about 110 minutes in length when complete. The problem is that the video is made up of well over 100 small video clips on which I am overlaying text and transitions and some 20 titles.

1. If I render after every 10 or so edits will that help PE3 work more efficiently when updating the process? Or is it just going to bog down and process more slowly as I add to the project, regardless.

2. Can I split the project into 2 parts, edit each one and then import the second completed half into the first half and have all the text, transitions, titles, etc of the second imported as well wo/having to turn the second half into an AVI file first?

The manual doesn't talk about this kind of stuff so any help will be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: 2 questions re efficiency in very large project using PE3
          PeterFDuke Level 1
          The rendering you are talking about merely provides a smooth display of your edits while you are using the editor. They are used when you export as an AVI file but are not used if you export in another format or make a DVD etc. It is entirely up to you whether you can put up with the fuzzy or jerky display of non-rendered clips.

The only known method of importing other projects into a project in PE without turning them into AVI files first is to use Clipmate. The method is a bit clumsy to avoid the silent audio problem and has two known issues: the audio and video become unlinked and the transitions don't copy.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc366c0/6?14@@
          • 2. Re: 2 questions re efficiency in very large project using PE3
            One of the advantages of Premiere Pro is that you can edit your clips in sequences that each get their own timelines. (They appear as tabs above the timeline when you have them). Elements does not. One work-around I can think of for a long production is to break up and timeline your clips into separate scenes, edit them til you are happy, and then export them as AVI files for later reimporting to the main movie. Note that you are now doubling up on your HD space usage because unlike a project .prel file, you are actually generating new AVI files. A bit more work than with Pro ,but the edited AVI files are your pseudo-sequences. It's a time versus dollar question.
            • 3. Re: 2 questions re efficiency in very large project using PE3
              Level 1
              Thanks Peter & Milt.
              I considered dividing the file, finish editing and generating new AVI files. The problem is that these videos are derived from 6 one hour DV tapes which I have already rough edited to reduce their size and eported as AVI files. I am now pulling them back into my final .prel file. My concern is that I will degrade the videos too much if I do another AVI compilation out and then pull them back into a final aggragate .prel.
              Am I right to be concerned?
              • 4. Re: 2 questions re efficiency in very large project using PE3
                PeterFDuke Level 1
                Do all your editing on your source tapes and only export as AVI when you want to combine for the final output. If, for instance, you are making a DVD from source AVI files, you get

AVI -> AVI -> MPEG

There is negligable degradation in this process compared to

AVI -> MPEG which you have to do anyway.
                • 5. Re: 2 questions re efficiency in very large project using PE3
                  PeterFDuke Level 1
                  If you turn off the recompress flag (on by default) when you export, then hopefully non-edited frames will export to AVI unchanged.
                  • 6. Re: 2 questions re efficiency in very large project using PE3
                    Level 1
                    Peter,
                    Thanks for the additional info. I was a little leary of trying to get the editing consistent on the separate parts and then meld them together. But then I realized I really can't do this b/c the sequence of clips in each of the six AVI files is out of order and part of what I'm doing is having to shift clips before and after other clips originating from the different AVI files.
                    Sorry, I didn't mention that before, I was so focused on editing performance that I just hadn't thought about that limit as a part of bringing all the clips into a final .prel.
                    I believe this requires me to continue as I'm doing and just try to keep the computer as trim as I can while I'm slogging thru this.
                    Thanks for your input.