3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2008 11:14 AM by (Jennifer_DeJong)

Creating stills from Video Footage

I am such a Rookie at all of this. We have Adobe PE 1.0 and know and use a very small percentage of it. My question is, is it possible to create a still image (photo for printing) from video footage?
      Thanks for your patience with the Rookie!
      Jennifer
        • 1. Re: Creating stills from Video Footage
          Paul_LS Level 4
          Yes you can. However note that the resolution of the still will be at the NTSC/PAL standard so 720x480... so this is a rather small resolution for printing... so dont expect a great print.

To export a frame place the current time indicator at the position you want to export the frame and then go File>Export>Frame. Then in the window that opens you can go into Settings and in General select the format.. BMP, JPG etc. Also under Keyframe and Rendering you may want to select Deinterlace footage. Try with and without and see if the quality is better.
          • 2. Re: Creating stills from Video Footage
            PeterFDuke Level 1
            Note that video has non-square pixels, but you will probably want square pixels. In PE4 (and hopefully also in PE1) you set the output pixel aspect ratio and resolution on the video tab of the export dialog window. Choose a resolution which gives 4:3 ratio (assuming non-widescreen) such as 640x480 (NTSC) or 768x576 (PAL). If you use the default, PAL will give you a slightly skinny image, while NTSC would be slightly fat.

Also uncheck "add to project", which PE annoyingly does by default.
            • 3. Re: Creating stills from Video Footage
              Level 1
              Thanks so much for your time and advice. I appreciate it!