4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2008 3:07 PM by Steve Grisetti RSS

CROPPING VIDEO OR PICTURES IN ADOBE PREM. ELE. 4.0

Is there a way to crop pictures or video in Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0? I need to take out some of the side of the video I shot and I'm not sure if that is possible or not. Please help!
        • 1. Re: CROPPING VIDEO OR PICTURES IN ADOBE PREM. ELE. 4.0
          Paul_LS Community Member
          There is the Crop effect under the Video Effects. This can be used to crop video or photos.
          • 2. Re: CROPPING VIDEO OR PICTURES IN ADOBE PREM. ELE. 4.0
            Community Member
            I see that there is a Crop Effect, but it seems like you can only use the effect one way. I need to crop out a little bit of the sides and I'm not sure how to do that. Do you know how to crop sides of video?
            • 3. Re: CROPPING VIDEO OR PICTURES IN ADOBE PREM. ELE. 4.0
              Community Member
              "I see that there is a Crop Effect, but it seems like you can only use the
              effect one way. I need to crop out a little bit of the sides and I'm not
              sure how to do that."

Can you describe what you want to do a little better? Are you cropping all
              4 sides or just the left and right? I'm assuming you don't want the black
              area where you cropped off the image -- correct?

The crop effect will let you trim each edge independently, but that leaves
              transparency where the edge was trimmed. If you check the zoom box in the
              crop effect properties, the image will be scaled so that the image will be
              the same as the original frame size. Horizontial and vertical are scaled
              independently and that can distort the image if you didn't crop
              proportionaly. That may be ok depending on your purpose. If you only crop
              the left and right edges, zoom will be similar to what happens with your
              wide screen tv when you have it set up to stretch a standard definition show
              to fill the screen.

If you don't want the disproportional stretching, don't use zoom. Use
              "scale" in the motion properties. That scales both directions equally. You
              can either scale the original image or the image with the crop effect
              applied.

Rather than scale up the image, some people simply place a background image
              underneath so they don't have black space.
              • 4. Re: CROPPING VIDEO OR PICTURES IN ADOBE PREM. ELE. 4.0
                Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP
                Kelly, once you apply the Crop effect to a clip on your timeline, right-click on that clip and select Show Properties.

This will open the Properties panel for that clip. Open the settings for the Crop effect (click on the white triangle to the left of the listing in this panel) and you can set it to crop any side you'd like.