7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2008 2:41 PM by LaciG

Help files are missing

LaciG Level 1
      Please, help. PE3 had been working flowlessly in the last several months. After installing Nero (only the burning suites), it had problem with capturing. Reinstalled PE3 from original CD. During installation, the following message popped up: "Adobe Help Center. The Package File To Be Installed Does Not Exists..." I clicked OK, the installation finished, and everything works, except the Help button. (Obviously, the help files don't exists.) Also, I didn't update the product to 3.02 yet. System: Dell Dimension. Software: Win XP Professional with SP2. What can I do the find the 'non-existing' Package Files? I would appreciate any help. Regards, Laszlo Gutai.
        • 1. Re: Help files are missing
          LaciG Level 1
          Also, I found "Adobe Help Center 2.1" in the All Programs pane, and clicking it, the Help Center Opens, and I can choose between PE 3.0 or Photoshop 5.0 and it works. But this program is not in the Add/Remove Programs Panel, and not accessible from PE3 (as I described above). Also, before I reinstalled PE3, I removed it according to one of Adobe's KB article ("Manually remove Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0"). This article also instructed me to remove Adobe Help Center via the Add/Remove Programs, that I did. Now, I do not have it in the Add/Remove Programs, and can not start it from inside PE 3.0, although I can start it from the All Programs panel. Please, let me know what I did wrong, and how I can rectify this problem. Thanks for any help, Laszlo Gutai.
          • 2. Re: Help files are missing
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            Have you seen this FAQ, from the FAQs at the top of our forum?
            http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c05a2a2

You can also find the help files online here:
            http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/4.0/help.html?content=WS0D759D29-2B02-42d2-B2 0C-D5593E824F69.html
            • 3. Re: Help files are missing
              LaciG Level 1
              Hi Steve, I followed the procedure in the first FAQ and it didn't help. My situation is a bit different: I do not get any error message when I click on the Help in a project only nothing is happening. On the other hand, when I started Help Center (from the All Programs panel), it recreated the cache folder, as you said. Also, I still don't see the Hep Center in the Add/Remove Programs list. Furthermore, I can't update PE 3.0 to PE 3.02: it says that there is no update at this moment, also, it says that Adobe Help Center update can not be determined this time. The only thing I can imagine to do is to remove all Adobe products (PE 3.0, Photoshop m5.0, Adobe Reader and Help Center (and I had Adobe Bridge before, and if I still have it, then remove it too). I will start trying to reinstall Help Center and see. Thanks, Laszlo. (P.S. Why don't I get an email notification if someone posts an answer - anymore? I always check my spam file, and will check my Internet Provider filter, also. Thanks again.)
              • 4. Re: Help files are missing
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Laszlo,

If you are going to do an uninstall/reinstall, you should also run Adobe's CleanScript, between those processes. It will remove all traces of things Adobe, giving you a clean install.

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Help files are missing
                  LaciG Level 1
                  Bill,

I used an Adobe KB article to remove all folders and registry entries after removing PE 3.02. Also, I used jv16 registry cleaner and finder before reinstalling PE 3.0. After removing PE 3.0, I removed Adobe Help Center via the Add/Remove panel. (However, it is still in the All Programs list and can be used from there.) Also, according to the Web sites I visited, CleanScript is used to clean up after CS3 uninstall. Is it good for other Adobe applications, also? I haven't removed all Adobe programs, this would be my second try.

Thanks,

Laszlo.
                  • 6. Re: Help files are missing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Laszlo,

I misunderstood exactly what you were uninstalling. If you still have Adobe programs on your computer, I'd NOT use CleanScript. If you followed the PE KB file, you should be good to go.

I'm a bit puzzled, however, at why the Help Files still appear in Programs>All. I would have assumed that it would have been cleaned out.

Good luck,

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Help files are missing
                      LaciG Level 1
                      Bill,

The whole thing is puzzling. When I removed PE3, I also removed the Adobe Help Center via the Add/Remove Programs tool. For PE3: I did go into the registry, and also removed folders according to the KB article. I didn't do these steps after uninstalling the Help Center, may be that's why it is still in on the computer somehow. I found another KB article to remove Help Center Manually. I will let you know if it helped.

- Laszlo.