7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2008 5:49 AM by (geoffhaynes)

Premier Elements 3 renders but then stops

This has happened before but at present I am working on a 3 hour video. It will go through all the steps (taking 3-4 hours as expected) but then just stops with the overall progress bar at about 45% and the current progress bar at about 5%. There is no error message and the DVD is not affected. I have put similar projects onto the same 8.5Gb discs before. When this has happened before, I have used other software to put a copy onto my HDD and then tried again. Sometimes this works!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Premier Elements 3 renders but then stops
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Depending on what you're using for source files, Premiere Elements could require as much as 150 gigabytes of free, clean, defragmented space on your hard drive to create a 3 hour DVD, Geoff.

The fact that this seems to work for you intermittently might well indicate that the problem is too many "invisible" temp files taking up space, too much junk in your media cache and too much fragmentation -- in addition to the possibility that you simply don't have enough hard drive space to do it. (Remember, if you're editing video on your C drive, the operating system is constantly paging to and fragmenting the drive as you work.)

You can try our recommended maintenance. (You'll likely find several gigabytes of junk files you didn't know were there taking up space on your drive.)
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a

But things could also depend a lot on what you're using for your source files. Video captured over FireWire from a miniDV camcorder works most efficiently. Non-DV-AVI footage, such as video from a DVD or hard drive camcorder, needs a lot more rendering space. And photos, if they aren't sized to 1000x750 pixels, can slow or choke the program's processing completly.
          • 2. Re: Premier Elements 3 renders but then stops
            Level 1
            Hi Steve
            That's very useful. I'm reasonably good at getting rid of malware and use 3 or 4 programs regularly. I have just used Ccleaner and will now do a defrag. Before this my C: drive had 44 Gb used and 95 free - this is where my software is but I use my K: drive for video and this has 11.7 Gb used and 267 Gb free. By the way my C: drive is a WD Raptor - 1,000 rpm. I'll try again and report back after the defrag, though it could be next weekend as I'm at work during the week. My source files are .VOB from a DVD as I take everything from my camcorder to DVD first. Many thanks.

Geoff
            • 3. Re: Premier Elements 3 renders but then stops
              Level 1
              Hi Steve
              Didn't take as long as I thought. Just tried again - it whipped thro' the render and has stuck again in exactly the same place.
              • 4. Re: Premier Elements 3 renders but then stops
                Ouch! That could well mean the problem is with the source files rather than your computer. And troubleshooting that gets a bit trickier.

Meantime, I hope it goes without asking, but your K drive is formatted NTFS and not FAT32, right? FAT32 drives have a file size limit that often chokes intensive processes, like video editing.
                • 5. Re: Premier Elements 3 renders but then stops
                  Level 1
                  HI Steve
                  Yes - NTFS. My K: drive is IDE connected through an adaptor to a SATA port on the mb. I might try changing my D: drive, which is SATA, for a 500Gb and run all my video on that. Would that help do you think? I put my source files onto Nero last night and burned them to a DVDRW without editing them, which took about an hour for a 4 hour video!!
                  • 6. Re: Premier Elements 3 renders but then stops
                    If this weren't an old version of Premiere Elements, I'd recommend you contact Adobe Tech Support, Geoff. I'm not sure we're going to be able to troubleshoot it here on the forum.

Sorry I can't offer more help.
                    • 7. Re: Premier Elements 3 renders but then stops
                      Level 1
                      Thanks anyway Steve - perhaps I'll get version 4 and see how that goes. You have been a great help and your time and expertise are really appreciated.

Geoff