5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2008 8:53 AM by rawatts

Increase disk space

Big Hearted Al
      I am using WinXP in Parallels and getting a message that I am running out of hard drive space. I am editing a video and do not have enough space to finish the edit. I've eliminated all the files and folders that I believe are nonessential. I am wondering if I can safely remove: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 as it would give me 88.3 MB of space?
      I also have3 additional hard drives in addition to my "C" drive. They are: Network Drive (X:),
      Network Drive (Y:) and .Mac on .'psf' (Z:) As near as I can determine all of these drives contain files and folders that are already on my iMac hard drive. Can they be eliminated?
      Al
        • 1. Re: Increase disk space
          Paul_LS Level 4
          Sorry cant answer your iMac questions. However, it is pointless removing NET framework (assuming it is safe to do so anyway) if it only saves you 88.3MB of space... that is less than 1 minute of video. May be time to invest in an external harddrive.
          • 2. Re: Increase disk space
            Level 1
            Alfred, I don't know your specifics. But typically "network" drives do not <br />contain anything required unless it was specifically installed onto them. <br />You can pick up a 2gb usb drive for a few bucks and that will give you a lot <br />more space than deleting .net (which is used by all microsoft programs and <br />many others, so things like mail or office or even PE4 may have problems). <br />External usb drives (thumb or real) are slow so only put stuff you don't <br />need in realtime on them.<br /><br />One idea, if you haven't done so is to delete your browser cache, you can <br />get hundreds of megs back by deleting all the downloaded graphics and <br />cookies and things. I don't know how the mac browser works but with IE you <br />have to manually tell it to remove all that stuff.<br /><br />Mark<br /><br /><br /><br /><Alfred_Kasprowicz@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:59b67e0c.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />>I am using WinXP in Parallels and getting a message that I am running out <br />>of hard drive space. I am editing a video and do not have enough space to <br />>finish the edit. I've eliminated all the files and folders that I believe <br />>are nonessential. I am wondering if I can safely remove: Microsoft .NET <br />>Framework 2.0 as it would give me 88.3 MB of space?<br />>     I also have3 additional hard drives in addition to my "C" drive. They <br />> are: Network Drive (X:),<br />> Network Drive (Y:) and .Mac on .'psf' (Z:) As near as I can determine all <br />> of these drives contain files and folders that are already on my iMac hard <br />> drive. Can they be eliminated?<br />> Al
            • 3. Re: Increase disk space
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Alfred,

Unfortunately, I can only comment from a true PC perspective. I know some of the differences between the two platforms, as I've had clients for decades on the Mac. However, there might well be limitations that I either do not know of, or that I have not thought of. With that said, here goes:

I've been experimenting with doing NLE work on my laptop. Yes, it has 3x 200GB 7200RPM SATA HDDs, but my previous one did not. I've used several NLEs, from Pinnacle S-9.4.3, to PE4 and PP2 (CS2). I've tried using external HDDs with USB, FireWire 400 & 800 (no eSATA yet). I have found that one can do some large Projects, with little loss in speed with the FW-800 (IEEE-1394b). USB has proved almost useless and FW-400 works, but not that quickly. It also seems prone to lost data, which I feel is from the connection speed, or lack thereof.

FireWire is a Mac connection (originally), that has been adapted to and implemented on the PC. For my laptop, I use a FW-800 ExpressCard (connection that used to a PCMICA slot on my previous laptop). I've got a handful of 1TB, 1.5TB and 2TB external HDDs, that will connect via FW-800 (most can also do FW-400, USB and some eSATA) and they work beautifully. I'm rendering an 01;45;00 Sequence in PP2 to DV-AVI, as I type.

Rather than strip your existing HDDs of their programs and data, and still probably not have enough room to work, look into how you can add FW-800 to your machine. On my old laptop, I did have to flash the BIOS to update, as the original only saw FW-400. Both Maxtor and Western Digital have good prices on their 1TB externals right now, as the 2TB units become more available. Most of these come so that one can use either Mac or PC (some are Mac from the factory and PC file system has to be setup). I *think* that there is a limitation on Macs to only be able to see FAT32 file systems on a PC drive. For video you will want NTSF, if PC, but better still Mac file system. Though you are running PE on a virtual machine on the Mac, I assume that all I/O functions are still pure Mac.

I'd put all Assets onto the external, and point all Scratch Disks to it, as well. This keeps most of the information and disk activity off of the internals. It also makes it easy to remove 99% of the Project, when it's done.

One note: if you do go with Western Digital, spend the extra few $ on their "World Edition," or their "Studio Edition." They are better units all around, than is their "My Book Essentials" and other models.

You'll have to do your homework on the FW-800 connection, and then some price shopping for the external(s), but on a PC, I guarantee that it'll work.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS going back decades, when a 1GB HDD was a monster, and controllers of the day only could handle one, I used to have to backup all programs and data to tape, uninstall my accounting, wordprocessing and database programs, plus all data, just to clear enough space for Photoshop to handle 3-page images @ 300ppi. I could only Save one version, before I had to back THAT up to tape, and get back to work. It is not fun! Thankfully, I now have about 30TB of storage space, accessed through FW-800. The "good old days," are gone for ever.
              • 4. Re: Increase disk space
                Big Hearted Al Level 1
                Wow! I never expected to get this much help and diverse solutions from my request for help.
                Thanks a lot to all of you who responded.
                Al
                • 5. Re: Increase disk space
                  rawatts Level 1
                  I have been using this 500 GB external drive with USB and eSata cables and it works fine for under $100 after rebate. There are also drives with fire wire connections plus these two for slightly more money.

http://www.buy.com/prod/cavalry-500gb-hard-drive-dual-interface-usb-2-0-esata-external-har d/q/loc/101/203268361.html

Bob