13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2008 3:15 PM by the_wine_snob

System memory

I keep getting the "Adobe Premiere Elements is running very low on system memory" message for some reason.
      I'm not running anything else, I have only about 5 minutes of video done (need to get about 9), and I have 120 GB of free space on my external drive.

I'm working with mainly .wmv and .avi files (I do have two .asf files but they're small).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
      Matt
        • 1. Re: System memory
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Non-DV-AVI files (even if they're AVIs) are one of the chief causes of overloads with the program.

Were these AVIs captured over FireWire from a miniDV camcorder?

You can try rendering your project to put less stress on your system. See those red lines above the clips on your timeline? Press Enter and the program will render the files as AVIs and those red lines will turn green -- easing the stress on your memory.

It also helps, of course, to have adequate RAM. At least 1 gig for Windows XP and 2 gig for Vista. Also, if you're using Vista, make sure you optimize the operating system for video editing, per the FAQs at the top of this forum.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7
          • 2. Re: System memory
            Level 1
            The AVI's were either downloaded or captured in another program using Firewire.

I render every time I drop a video into the timeline and edit it, so I'm not sure that is it.

I do have my video stored on an external drive because that is where I have the most space (120 GB). The external drive is FAT32 - I did see somewhere that it could be a problem. If so, can I convert it to the format on my C drive?

I have 2 GB of RAM on my Windows XP and I've upgraded to SP3 (you recommended that last time).

Thanks again for all of your help...

Matt
            • 3. Re: System memory
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              Convert your external drive to NTFS, Matt. (It's virtually risk-free to your data and you can do it with your data already on the drive.)

You should see some improvement, since FAT32 drives have a file size limit. But I still think something else is going on. You definitely should not be getting out-of-memory errors on such a short project -- assuming you've got enough computer power, RAM and free, defragmented space on your C drive.
              • 4. Re: System memory
                Level 1
                Thanks for the advice, I'll do it tomorrow when I get to work and I'll let you know.

Is it possible to do one project, save it to my computer as a .wmv, do the second half (save the same way) and then burn the two files onto my DVD burner?
                • 5. Re: System memory
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Matt,

One consideration would be to convert all of your Assets to DV-AVI outside of PE. Import these into your Project and see how it goes. Many formats will bring the computer, PE (or even P-Pro) to its knees. The program is trying to do all sorts of things, that are better done
                  b BEFORE
                  you Import the Assets.

Yes, NTSF will speed things up a tad, and allow you much larger files, but will not address an "Out of Memory" problem. Make it easy for your NLE to work. It is an inensive enough program to start with, and if it has to wrestle your Assets, things go "pear-shaped" in a hurry.

A good analogy is that my wife's MB S-500 AMG requires 91 octane fuel at this altitude. It will run on lower, but not so well and not without some problems. DV-AVI is like that 91 octane fuel. It'll keep PE (and your computer) from "pinging" and "sputtering."

Good luck,

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: System memory
                    Level 1
                    Thanks, Bill. I may be wrong, but if I convert my files to DV-AVI, will I have to do the project all over again? I'm thinking I'll have to re-link the video again.
                    • 7. Re: System memory
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Matt,

I'm going from P-Pro here, so someone with much more PE experience might have to correct me.

Make your conversion outside of PE. Place these converted files (same name) in a separate folder. In PE, Offline your various Assets. Then in Project Panel, re-Link the Assets to the respective Assets in your conversion folder. This is the process that I'd take in Pro, and PE should allow something similar. The exact mechanics might differ. Maybe Steve, or Paul can give you specifics on PE. You *should* be able to keep most of your work in your Project, but just replace your Assets.

I'd do a Save, then a Save_As, before I did this, regardless of whether I was using PE, or Pro. Do this in your Save_As version.

Good luck, and please let me know how it goes. Also, stand by for some PE expertise to ring in. Go with what THEY tell you, as they will know PE better than I do.

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: System memory
                        Paul_LS Level 4
                        Yes it works similar in PE. If PE can not find your assets a pop up window will ask where they can be located. Otherwise click on the missing clip in the Project Media window and then select from the toolbar Edit>Locate Media and point it to the clip.
                        • 9. Re: System memory
                          Level 1
                          So, in short I assume I'm doing the following:

1. clear my portable drive so it can be reformatted to ntfs.
                          2. convert my .asf files to .avi. Do my .wmv and other .avi files need to be converted? Any recommendations on software from the web for conversion? I see a few, but I don't know who is the best.
                          3. Reload my portable drive with the video I pushed over.
                          4. Kneel and pray

Will I only have to relink the video that was converted?

Thanks again for everyone's help...

Matt
                          • 10. Re: System memory
                            Paul_LS Level 4
                            You can convert from FAT32 to NTFS without removing the files. It does in non-destructively.
                            • 11. Re: System memory
                              Level 1
                              <Matt_Harding@adobeforums.com> wrote in message<br />news:59b682e7.5@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI<br /><br />> Thanks, Bill. I may be wrong, but if I convert my files<br />> to DV-AVI, will I have to do the project all over again?<br />> I'm thinking I'll have to re-link the video again.<br /><br />I think that's true.<br /><br />Someone can correct me here if I'm wrong, but one of the weaknesses of APE <br />is that you can't separate editing including both cuts and keyframing, from <br />the underlying file and apply them to a similar file.<br /><br />It would be nice if you could replace a file with a similar file , and have <br />all of the edits for the first file automatically applied to the second.<br /><br />You can sort of fudge this by renaming files outside of APE, but that's a <br />kluge.  And that kluge still won't work if you are changing file types, say <br />from VOB to  AVI.<br /><br />I have been getting hit hard with a big loss of productivity this way with a <br />video I did for church.  We're doing a sermon series with 5 sermons, and <br />have made an intro video.<br /><br />We start out by presenting all 5 topics and associating each one with its <br />own graphic. I then arrange the 5 graphics in a circle, and spin the circle, <br />Finally, we pull a different graphic out of the circle and enlarge on it <br />each week.  If I could copy the keyframing from one graphic to another I <br />wouldn't have to redo a lot of work each week.<br /><br />I've been here before, and just had to bravely soldier through each time.
                              • 12. Re: System memory
                                Level 1
                                Thanks for the help. I wasn't able to convert my portable to NTFS, but I got through it and it looks OK.

I have another question which I'll post in a new topic so I can get some replies.

Thanks,
                                Matt
                                • 13. Re: System memory
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  Matt,

Out of curiosity, what brand, model, size external do you have? I've yet to see one that I could not use Convert on. Convert must be run from the CMD line with the proper switches, but it has worked on about 2 dozen externals for me.

Hunt