2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2008 7:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Editing imported .VOB files

I needed to make a shorter version of a Zoo project I put together for my grandkids. Unfortunately I had earlier deleted both the camera tapes and the .AVI files I captured from my camera. But I did have a copy of the DVD that I had burned. I was successful in adding this media to PE4. I deleted all but the two main 2+ GB .VOB files and dragged them to the timeline. Since it wasn't captured from the camera there were just two clips. I worked my way through these clips cutting into individual scenes. Then I drastically cut the original 29 minute project down to 12 minutes. (Some people say editing is 'throwing away' so I guess I edited well.) I used effects individually on clips but when I tried to add transitions they wouldn't work. Is this normal with PE4 for .VOB files? I have apply transitions to scissored cuts from .AVI files.
        • 1. Re: Editing imported .VOB files
          Level 1
          <Milt_Kostner@adobeforums.com> wrote in message<br />news:59b68992.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI<br /><br />> I needed to make a shorter version of a Zoo project I put<br />> together for my grandkids. Unfortunately I had earlier<br />> deleted both the camera tapes and the .AVI files I<br />> captured from my camera. But I did have a copy of the DVD<br />> that I had burned. I was successful in adding this media<br />> to PE4. I deleted all but the two main 2+ GB .VOB files<br />> and dragged them to the timeline. Since it wasn't<br />> captured from the camera there were just two clips. I<br />> worked my way through these clips cutting into individual<br />> scenes. Then I drastically cut the original 29 minute<br />> project down to 12 minutes. (Some people say editing is<br />> 'throwing away' so I guess I edited well.) I used effects<br />> individually on clips but when I tried to add transitions<br />> they wouldn't work.<br /><br />When strange things like this happen, export to an AVI and then do the rest <br />of your work on the AVI.<br /><br />> Is this normal with PE4 for .VOB files?<br /><br />No
          • 2. Re: Editing imported .VOB files
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Milt,

When you say that the Transitions "wouldn't work," what exactly happened?

The two main reasons that Transitions won't work, is because of the GOP and I-frame structure of MPG files and the lack of "Handles," i.e. enough additional footage to allow for X-Dissolves, etc.

You likely have both problems. You are using MPG, which is a GOP I-frame format, i.e. you do not have each individual frame, but representations of changes in the following frames after the I-Frame, and you probably Razored tightly to what you wanted (plus the original Clips were also edited, eliminating Handles).

Arny's suggestion of converting to DV-AVI first will get you individual frames. As for Handles, you will have only a couple of choices: shorten the Clip to get Handles, or use Dip-to-Black, instead of other types of Transitions.

As a sidenote, always save your original tapes. These are cheap, these are great backups (you only have to re-Capture) and re-using tapes is not a good practice. Some have luck doing so, but many do not.

Good luck,

Hunt