2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2008 2:59 PM by Ann Bens

Sony file extensions conflict

I have a Sony HDD camcorder (latest model)and I just bought and installed Premiere Elements 4 on my computer. I run XP on desktop and Vista on laptop but I can't get Premiere to views my clips on either computer. I have downloaded latest version of QuickTime. When I save the files to the computer they come up as .m2ts file extension. I can import them into Premiere from the computer but can't view them but they do play the audio. If I try to import them direct from the camera it won't show any files at all. I'm at my wits end with both Sony and Premiere Elements. Any advice needs to be given in layman terms I'm afraid.

Cj
        • 1. Re: Sony file extensions conflict
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Premiere Elements doesn't work all that well with hard drive cams, Cheryl. So there are two things you can try:

1) Make sure your Premiere Elements project is using the Hard Drive Camcorder settings, which you can only set up when you first start your project. This will optimize your video quality.

Then use the Media Downloader in Premiere Elements to get the video from your camcorder. Don't capture the video with other software. Unfortunately, this means you get the video into your computer in big chunks rather than capturing it as streaming video, but at least you know Premiere Elements is seeing the video.

2) Short of that, convert your m2ts files to DV-AVIs before you bring them into Premiere Elements. You should be able to do this with MPEG Streamclip, as described in the FAQs at the top of this forum.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4800e
          • 2. Re: Sony file extensions conflict
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Cherly you might want to have a look at Vasst Upshift

http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?for=4096&entity=16&sort=priority