9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 6:44 AM by the_wine_snob

Recorder Error Message when capturing from camcorder

Onlyanovice
      How do I overcome the Recorder Message "Date/Time recorded not found on tape and is required for scene detection". The tape concerned does have the date & time the clips were recorded shown on the camcorder screen when viewing tape playback. I have successfully downloaded the clips from the camcorder onto Windows Movie Maker. The camcorder is a new Panasonic NV-GS330 and the instructions for it advise that clips are downloaded onto a PC via a USB 2 terminal and to use the enclosed USB cable. I have complied with this. Note I can successfully download photographs into photoshop from my digital camera using the same USB. My PC uses XP home Edition with SP3, 512Mb Ram.
        • 1. Re: Recorder Error Message when capturing from camcorder
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          When the tape is blank if only for 1 frame Elements cannot capture with firewire, which is realy the best way for mini-dv.
          To avoid this you can blacken the tape or make sure when recording your tape is on the last frame of the previous recording.
          • 2. Re: Recorder Error Message when capturing from camcorder
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Lostking,

You did not say that you were attempting to Capture in PE (only mentioned WMM), but PE will not Capture from a USB device. Just wanted to point this out, but you are probably aware of this already.

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Recorder Error Message when capturing from camcorder
              Level 1
              Hi,
              Only if your camcorder has the "USB DV-Streaming" feature you would be able to capture via the USB cable.

However you need to have the device control set to USB Video Class 1.

But, if the camcorder has a Firewire output,(and if your system has a Firewire card) its always better to use the firewire mode.

Thanks
              Em
              • 4. Re: Recorder Error Message when capturing from camcorder
                I am having the same error message, however the circumstances are different.

I have a Panasonic PV-GS400. One of the reasons I bought this DV camera is it's ability to be used as a digital "pass-thru" recording device for analog content from a vcr/analog camcorder, ect.

This way, I can use that function to directly record analog tape right to the PC rather than having to copy it to the DV camcorder first then copying to the PC.

Here is the catch... Everything is working fine as far as both camcorder settings being correct, all cables correct and when I playback the analog camcorders content, it indeed is being passed thru the DV camcorder AND IS BEING PLAYED PROPERLY IN THE ADOBE CAPTURE WINDOW. Audio and all.

But I CANNOT press the get video (record button). When I do, it wants to record the tape in the DV camcorder, so I removed the tape. But it still wont allow me to record what is being displayed in the capture window, even though it is playing (previewing) BEAUTIFULLY!!

I just need to be able to record what is playing in the window!
                • 5. Re: Recorder Error Message when capturing from camcorder
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  Is your date function in the camcorder still working and the little back-up battery in the camcorder still running?

It sounds like your tape does not have proper timecode. Not having the time and date set on your camcorder could be the cause.
                  • 6. Re: Recorder Error Message when capturing from camcorder
                    Level 1
                    This may be true, as this analog camcorder is VERY old, and I will look into that. But I did find a workaround by going into the capture window settings under device control and turned off device control so I just start and stop taping the old fashioned way and it's capturing fine. Thank you.
                    • 7. Re: Recorder Error Message when capturing from camcorder
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                      Analog?

Analog camcorders don't have real timecode on them, Sli. That may be why it's not being detected.

How are you capturing it?
                      • 8. Re: Recorder Error Message when capturing from camcorder
                        Level 1
                        Then that is the reason why, when device control is enabled, it would not work. (when device control WAS enabled, it wanted to control the digital camcorder that is the one directly hooked to the computer using firewire.

The "old-fashioned way" is I press "get video" in the adobe capture window which starts recording. (it starts capturing the "empty" blue screen at this point) then I press play on the old analog camcorder and the playback/recording begins. As I said the digital camcorder indeed is passing thru (converting) the analog signal to digital and sending it to the PC. I simply have to do all starting and stopping of tape manually since device control is disabled. I just then edit out the "empty" blue screen bits" This is how the old analog capture cards (at least the ones I had) worked.
                        • 9. Re: Recorder Error Message when capturing from camcorder
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Sli,

I do not know of any A/D capture device that passes "Device Control" through to the analog device. That part has to be manual, whether you are using a camera, a capture box or a capture card. Sometimes there is just no way, but the "old fashioned way." This is true for every capture program that I have ever seen too, not just Adobe, or Premiere. Maybe some day, a mfgr. will come up with a device that passes the control signals through, but then that would only work (probably) by sending the appropriate IR code to the VHS deck, or other. They would also have to be IR control enabled.

For me (VHS/DVD deck to Turtle Beach card), it's hit the IR remote on my deck for Play, then hit the Record button on my software. Note: with my deck A/D card setup, I capture analog via the Turtle Beach sotfware to DV-AVI for Import into Premiere.

Hunt