7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2008 11:13 AM by (StanH)

PE3 -- How can I fix: "Very low on system memory"

How can I fix: "Very low on system memory. Please save your project and proceed with caution".

From Windows XP Pro Task Manager:
      Memory usage=199,232K
      VM size=230,032K
      Commit Charge 820M/3938M

I seem to have plenty of memory available but something prevents PE3 from accessing it? What can I do?

Stan Hilliard
        • 1. Re: PE3 -- How can I fix: "Very low on system memory"
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          What are you using as source files and how long is your project!?

You may need to work on that project in smaller pieces or optimize the file format.

(This is, of course, assuming you've got at least 50 gigabytes of free, defragmented space on your hard drive for every 60 minutes your project runs and no less than 30 gigabytes on your drive free.)-
          • 2. Re: PE3 -- How can I fix: "Very low on system memory"
            Level 1
            The 1 hour video file dn2008-0715.mp4 is 451,441KB on C: (28G free) failed to load so I loaded it into QuickTime player and saved it to dn2008-0715.avi (13,277,531KB) on G: (66G free). I built the project with the avi.

Also, I burned the avi to a DVD using Ashampoo 7 but the audio on the DVD was staccato.

Stan Hilliard
            • 3. Re: PE3 -- How can I fix: "Very low on system memory"
              I'm not sure what you're telling me, Stan. How did you convert the file to an AVI using Quicktime player?

And what type of AVI did you save it as? Does it use the DV codec?
              • 4. Re: PE3 -- How can I fix: "Very low on system memory"
                Level 1
                Loaded the MP4 into QuickTime Player v7.5.5
                [file][export][Movie to AVI]

[Most recent settings]

[Options][video]
                Compression: DV/DVCPRO-NTSC
                Scan Mode: Interlaced
                Aspect Ratio: 4:3

[Options][Audio]
                Format: Uncompressed
                Sample rate: 22.05 khz
                Sample size; 16
                Channels: 1

This is the file that loaded into PE3 and gave the low system memory message when I tried to drag a DVD menu template [general][standard] onto the DVD Layout window.
                • 5. Re: PE3 -- How can I fix: "Very low on system memory"
                  Are you sure you aren't using Quicktime Pro, Stan? There is no file converter in the plain old Quicktime player.

But your settings are right for your output file.

And did we establish that the G drive is formatted NTFS and not FAT32, which has a file size limit? (You can check by opening My Computer, right-clicking on each drive and selecting Properties.)

Otherwise, I'm not sure what the problem is, assuming you've got an adequately powered system and at least 1 to 2 gigs of RAM and that your hard drives have been cleared of TMP files and defragmented.
                  • 6. Re: PE3 -- How can I fix: "Very low on system memory"
                    Level 1
                    <StanH@adobeforums.com> wrote in message<br />news:59b6903d.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI<br /><br />> The 1 hour video file dn2008-0715.mp4 is 451,441KB<br /><br />> How can I fix: "Very low on system memory.<br /><br />>  Please save your project and proceed with caution".<br /><br />> From Windows XP Pro Task Manager:<br />> Memory usage=199,232K<br />> VM size=230,032K<br />> Commit Charge 820M/3938M<br /><br />> I seem to have plenty of memory available but something<br />> prevents PE3 from accessing it? What can I do?<br /><br />"Low on System Memory" is a generic message with an unknown but very large <br />number of possible causes.<br /><br />The problem may be unresolvable with your current workflow.<br /><br />You may get relief by first increasing the size of your swap file, then by <br />reducing resident software that is loaded at startup time, finally by adding <br />RAM. This may be all to no avail, but it might work. Depends on where Venus <br />is with respect to Mars. ;-)<br /><br />The generic *always-works* response to problems loading files with *any* <br />program is to change your workflow by using some other software and/or <br />hardware to convert the file into a format that *will* load. My favorite <br />tool of that nature is MPEG Screenclip freeware. Some people get good <br />results with "Super" freeware.
                    • 7. Re: PE3 -- How can I fix: "Very low on system memory"
                      Level 1
                      Correction: I had used QuickTime Pro, not QuickTime, to convert MP4 to AVI.

I downloaded and installed MPEG StreamClip and recreated the AVI.

It loads OK and it plays well from the DVD layout window [preview DVD] -- both audio and video. But after showing very clear video halfway through the playing, the video quality degraded and I saw horizontal lines as if interlacing was wrong. I was able to fix this by fast forwarding and fastbacking throughout the movie.

Q) What does this indicate?

I am able to export to DVD and that works well.

The problem occurs when I try to add a menu from the DVD templates window. Perhaps I am doing it wrong, but I open [general][standard] and dragged the picture of the menu onto the DVD layout window. Results of this operation vary:

1) Nothing happens. The drag-shape cursor just disappears.

2) It offers to add scene markers, I accept. The markers are added but no menu is produced in the DVD layout window.

3) Message: "Very low on system memory. Please save your project and proceed with caution".

I tried to double click the menu template picture instead of dragging it and that crashed PE3.

Q) What could be causing this trouble in adding DVD templates?

I have tried deleting temporary files, stopping antivirus and firewall programs, increasing virtual memory from 2046 to 3069.

My PC has 2G ram, 2.454mhz
                      .AVI size=4,755,653KB

How can I fix or further diagnose this problem?
                      Stan HIlliard