4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2008 2:14 PM by FGx

How DV-AVI is DV-AVI ?

FGx Level 1
      I have a lot of old (from 1988 onwards) analog Video 8 tapes. The old Panasonic stopped functioning for a long time now, but I found a company that will digitize the footage. Because I want to edit it all in Prel, the format is going to be DV-AVI.

Now before I ask this to be done: does "DV-AVI" appear in various types? That would need a specific codec if I want Prel to import and handle the files? And if so, what codec(s) should I request this company to use?
      Or is "DV-AVI" always the same DV-AVI, and is there nothing to worry about?

Thanks for your comments
      Felix
        • 1. Re: How DV-AVI is DV-AVI ?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          DV is the codec (compression system) you want with your AVI. If you're getting a DV-AVI, you're getting what you need.

Now, there are two types of DV-AVIs (called Type 1 and Type 2, interestingly). They're virtually identical in content, and only a little Microsoft quirk separates them.

In fact, pretty much only Microsoft uses Type 1's.

All of which is more than you need to know.

So, yes. The short answer is a NTSC DV-AVI is an NTSC DV-AVI. If your digitizer is creating them from your old video, you're in.
          • 2. Re: How DV-AVI is DV-AVI ?
            FGx Level 1
            Wonderful. Thanks again. It's going to be PAL (Europe) but that will not matter, I suppose.

BTW: With Prel 7, will there also be a new "Video in a Snap"? Great book...
            Felix
            • 3. Re: How DV-AVI is DV-AVI ?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              Actually, I've just published "The Muvipix.com Guide to Premiere Elements 7", Felix! Thanks for asking. And thanks for the wonderful compliment!

It should be available soon. (I'll definitely post a notice when it is.)
              • 4. Re: How DV-AVI is DV-AVI ?
                FGx Level 1
                Nice! Good news. You post a notice, I'll buy a copy.
                Felix