14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2009 3:00 PM by cdavison2009

merging projects

Is there anyway to merge two timelines from different projects? When I produce one as an AVI and put it into the other project, it is very shaky, looks terrible. If I produce an MPEG it also looks shaky. Any getting around this?
      Thanks,
      Jessica
        • 1. Re: merging projects
          Level 1
          If you export as DV-AVI then add that to another project the video should not be shaky.

If you search the FAQs someone posted about using ClipMate to copy and past between projects awhile back.
          • 2. Re: merging projects
            Level 1
            I wonder why it's shaky. It's a mess of 15 frame and 28 frame clips set to music for 55 secs. Could that have something to do with it? All that movement?
            • 3. Re: merging projects
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              Also, what is your source video? If it is an MPEG, it's going to look shaky when you export it as a DV-AVI unless you reverse the field dominance first.
              • 4. Re: merging projects
                Level 1
                Hi Steve,
                When I produce the AVI files in MPEG and then drop them into another project, they are very shaky. However, I have since learned that I can merge projects using Clipmate, and I've purchased it and it works beautifully. I wonder why there is no merge option in Elements? Does Premiere Pro do it?
                • 5. Re: merging projects
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  If you're going to use clips from one project in another project, always output a DV-AVI rather than an MPEG.

DV-AVIs are the universal language of PC-based video editors, providing the highest possible quality.
                  • 6. Re: merging projects
                    PeterFDuke Level 1
                    >Does Premiere Pro do it?

PPro allows two or more sessions (projects) open at once, and you can copy between sessions.

You can't copy, close PPro, open it and paste, just as you can't with PE, unless you use Clipmate.
                    • 7. Re: merging projects
                      cdavison2009

"PPro allows two or more sessions (projects) open at once, and you can copy between sessions". Good that you can copy between two projects, how do you do it?

• 8. Re: merging projects
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, PrPro does not allow two Projects to be open at once. What it does allow is for one to have multiple Sequences, which are like mini-Projects in PE. Each has a Timeline, and I assume that that is what the poster was referring to. With the Sequences, it is much easier to Copy/Paste. This is something that one can only do with a utility that replaces Clipboard. So, it's similar to having two Projects open, but not quite.

Just wanted to make this clear.

Hunt

• 9. Re: merging projects
                          VideoJohnny Level 1

MAGIX Movie Edit Pro allows you to append one project into another.

• 10. Re: merging projects
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, merging one Project into another, is a bit different that what the recent poster asked about having multiple Projects open at one time.

PrPro allows one to Import other Projects into an open one. Each comes in with its own Bin structure and also its own Timeline. While there are some similarities, this is not the same as actually having multiple Projects open at the same time.

Hunt

• 11. Re: merging projects
                              VideoJohnny Level 1
                              Now, merging one Project into another, is a bit different that what the recent poster asked about having multiple Projects open at one time.

rue, but the title of this thread is about merging projects.

MAGIX Movie Edit Pro wil also let you open several projects at the same time. You can copy and paste ffrom one project to amnother.

T

• 12. Re: merging projects
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                rue, but the title of this thread is about merging projects.

And that is why I did not initially bring up the Importation of multiple Projects into PrPro. PE does not allow for anything like this, without the addition of a Clipboard utility and Ctrl-c/Ctrl-v, but I would find that method clunky, at best.

The OP referred to a statement in another post on the capabilities of PrPro vs PE. That was what I was commenting on.

I've got an older version of Movie Edit Pro and use it for some specialized work, especially with some of the Magix audio editing/creation programs. As I use PrPro for 99% of my NLE work, I have never explored the full capabilities of Movie Edit Pro, though it is nice to know how it handles multiple Projects. The one limitation for the OP could well be that they have multiple PE Projects, that require merging. PrPro will Import PE Projects, with some limitations. I do not know if Movie Edit Pro will touch a PE Project. Have you ever done this? Could be interesting, if it does.

Now, if the OP has yet to begin the Projects, then Moive Edit Pro may well be a better tool to use. That, or PrPro, though it is no where near the price point of the other two editors.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 13. Re: merging projects
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Also note that the original post was from almost a year ago. I was responding to a July 09, 2009 addition to it. I wished to correct that poster's impression on how PrPro worked, as I am not sure that the last response from Sept 08 was interpreted correctly.

It's easier to follow if one views the forum with the "Threaded View," and not the "Flattened View."

Sorry for any confusion,

Hunt

• 14. Re: merging projects
                                    cdavison2009 Level 1

Thanks for the advice, imported the other timeline and merged the two, good to know that more than one editor can work on the same film at the same time.