15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2010 7:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Animation

How do you animate a still shot of an object?
        • 1. Re: Animation
          Paul_LS Level 4
          See these free tutorials on Pan and Zoom and keyframing:
          http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=42
          • 2. Re: Animation
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            Also, what do you mean by "animate"? Can you show us an example of what you're trying to do?
            • 3. Re: Animation
              Level 1
              I have been sent Emails at Christmas time where there is an elf dancing and you can replace the elf's head with the heads/faces of friends and then forward it on to them. It gave me an idea for the senior video that I work on every year.
              I wanted to take a picture of some of our seniors holding letters spelling our mascot's name, and then make them look animated on the frames that separate the segments of the video. If this doesn't make sense, I have a Christmas card that I can scan and send to you to give you a better idea of what I'm trying to achieve.
              Thanks for any help you can offer.
              • 4. Re: Animation
                Most of these types of animation are animated GIFs (produced by the pro version of Photoshop).

You may be able to use Flash video from Premiere Elements, if you've got video or a series of photos that you can use as animation frames, but then I think you'll also need to embed a Flash player in your e-mails -- but someone else will need to chime in with how you do that.

What are you planning to create your animation from? Do you have a series of still photos that you can use as frames for your animation sequence?
                • 5. Re: Animation
                  Level 1
                  I have scanned the Christmas card, but I don't see a place for me to add it as an attachment to this message. How do I send you the card with an explanation of what I want to do?
                  • 6. Re: Animation
                    Scanned? Isn't this an animated card? It's the animation we need to see in order to advise you.

Molly, can you link us to a place online that shows a card similar to what you're trying to accomplish?
                    • 7. Re: Animation
                      JGW321

Steve, since Molly didn't reply to your questions can I tag one of my own on here?  I hope so.

You said "Do you have a series of still photos that you can use as frames for your animation sequence?".

That is exactly my situation.  I have 300 or so stop frame still images taken with a digital camera.  I can import these and put them on the timeliine but they are displayed for 5 seconds by default.  To avoid having to go through the time line and drag each clip (image) back to just two frames there should be somewhere a setting that I can change for "time to display images/titles" which I can change from 5 seconds to 2 frames.  I thought it was in project properties but I have looked at all the settings there and can't find it.  I have searched the help and the forums and can't find it either.   If it is different in 7 and 8 then I could do with how to do it in both, as I am on 7 at the moment but due to go to 8 soon.

JG

• 8. Re: Animation
                        Paul787 Level 3

JG, it's recommended that new, unrelated questions be posted as a new topic so that your question doesn't get lost or missed.

To change the duration of of your still images, go to Edit-->Preferences-->General. There you can set the number of frames for Still Image Duration.

The change to the duration of your still images must be done before they are brought into your Premiere Elements project. If they have already been brought in, it will be necessary to delete them from your project, modify the duration, and add them again.

Adobe explains it in more detail here:

http://tinyurl.com/yeco5uf

• 9. Re: Animation
                          JGW321 Level 1

"JG, it's recommended that new, unrelated questions be posted as a new topic so that your question doesn't get lost or missed."

OK, noted.  I had hoped that it was related enough to Animation to pass.  Sorry.

"Still Image Duration"  ah it seems they changed the wording in 8, and also the default from 5 minutes to 150 frames.  Perhaps that is why I missed it, or perhaps I should have gone to Spec Savers.  Many thanks for the answer.

• 10. Re: Animation
                            WAHunt3

JG,

I'd personally like to see Adobe keep the names and locations consistent from version to version, but I assume that they see their market with new users, rather than with those who upgrade, and are familiar with a previous version's locations and nomenclature. It also makes if difficult for users, with older versions, to provide concise help to others. Since I have PrE 4, I try to clearly state that screen-caps, and names might be different, but sometimes, they are VERY different, and maybe even located in another menu, or dialog screen.

For "stop motion" footage, I like 3 Frames per image for most subjects. Obviously, the subject matter might dictate other. As Paul states, that Duration needs to be set, PRIOR to Import, or one has a lot of hand-work. PrPro CS4 has JUST added the ability to change the Duration in the Project Panel AFTER Import, but that is very new. I'd expect to perhaps see it in PrE 9, but have heard no rumors.

If one does need to do it by hand, I would definitely have the Info Panel open and visible. I keep mine close at hand in PrE and it's always open in PrPro. I keep my Duration set to about 8 sec (240 Frames) because that's about how long I want my text Titles. Now, I like my "main" Titles at 6 sec. (180 Frames), so with the Info Panel there, I can just click-drag all main Titles. However, we're only talking a few Titles, and not the number of stills that you faced with.

Finally, the concept of when to start a new thread vs tagging onto an older one is a tough call. So long as folk see your reply, and it's "in the ballpark," I can see tagging on. When say the OP has a second, unrelated problem, I normally suggest a new thread, so things do not get confused. Now that the forum has the "Answered" icon, that can play a role too. Many do not bother to look at a thread, that has been marked as Answered, so a similar, but new question might go unnoticed. That hurts the poster of the new, but similar question. When a thread gets into technical specifics of a computer, or Project, and others, with different computers join in, it can become impossible to determine who has what, and which Project belongs to whom. Like I said, a tough call. What I like to do, when a thread has pretty much run its course, but has potentially useful info, pertaining to a new one, is to provide a link to the existing thread in my new one, using the URL linking icon in the Toolbar.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Animation
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Just to be clear, I posted above, but the Adobe forum software switched me in mid-post.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Animation
                                Paul787 Level 3
                                function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

JGW321 wrote:

"JG, it's recommended that new, unrelated questions be posted as a new topic so that your question doesn't get lost or missed."

OK, noted.  I had hoped that it was related enough to Animation to pass.  Sorry.

"Still Image Duration"  ah it seems they changed the wording in 8, and also the default from 5 minutes to 150 frames.  Perhaps that is why I missed it, or perhaps I should have gone to Spec Savers.  Many thanks for the answer.

No probs JGW, it's just that sometimes new questions get lost on an already started thread with the result that posters don't get the help they are looking for. And welcome to the forums. This forum is the best place I know of anywhere for getting advice with Premiere Elements.

• 13. Re: Animation
                                  nealeh Level 5

If you have Photoshop Elements as well as Premiere you can create an animated gif by adding a layer for each frame. You then save it through the 'Save for Web' feature.

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 14. Re: Animation
                                    JGW321 Level 1

Many thanks for those useful pointers.

JG

• 15. Re: Animation
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Most welcome.

Happy editing,

Hunt