6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2008 11:41 AM by (kodebuster)

Premiere Elements 4 Crashes in Vista

Trying to start a project ... I haven't even gotten all of my video clips put down yet and the application randomly crashes!! Totally frustrating. I'm looking for any guidance whatsoever ..... Adobe Support only takes calls M-F 9-5 .... conflicts with my work schedule!

I can't really say there is any action that is causing it ... just moving back and forth editing clips.

Thanks in advance.

Running VISTA Home Premium Service Pack 1 (32 bit)
      Computer is HP m9100t Q6600 (quad core) 2.4 GHZ CPU with 4GB RAM 256GB of available HD space.

The errors in Vista's event log are:

Faulting application Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, version 4.0.0.0, time stamp 0x46df9114, faulting module MediaLayer.dll, version 4.0.0.0, time stamp 0x46df7a7d, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0033bfb8, process id 0x11bc, application start time 0x01c920b51f55b513

Faulting application Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, version 4.0.0.0, time stamp 0x46df9114, faulting module nvd3dum.dll, version 7.15.11.7519, time stamp 0x482e068c, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0020c020, process id 0x27c, application start time 0x01c91ff120dc54a8

Faulting application Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, version 4.0.0.0, time stamp 0x46df9114, faulting module AdobeUpdater.dll, version 5.1.0.1082, time stamp 0x45e646ef, exception code 0x40000015, fault offset 0x00035e26, process id 0x27c, application start time 0x01c91ff120dc54a8
        • 1. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Crashes in Vista
          What are the video formats your working with in PE4 ???

I ask this because if they are Mpeg type files, PE4 will have issues.

Best is to convert format to DV-AVI as imported media.

BTW, I'm running PE4 with Vista on the same exact hardware with no problems (with DV-AVI type files).

Mpeg type files will hang or crash PE4 on my system in a heart beat...
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Crashes in Vista
            Level 1
            Yup .... I am using Mpeg files ..... video taken on my sony MINI DVD camcorder ... From idvid:

File: 20080703173515.mpg
            Width: 720 pixels
            Height: 480 pixels
            Aspect ratio: 1.33:1
            Frames: 0
            Duration: 00:01:53 hours/mins/secs
            Framerate: 29.970 frames per second
            Video format: MPEG2
            Video bitrate: 2946000 bits per second

Audio track 1 (Stream 0.1, AID 128):
            ---------------------------
            Codec: liba52
            Bitrate: 256000 bits per second
            Sampling rate: 48000 Hz
            =========================================================
            Audio is compliant with the following formats:
            256000 bps 48khz AC3 DVD (Dolby Digital)
            Video is compliant with the following formats:
            2946000 bps 29.970 fps MPEG2 NTSC DVD
            You can burn this video to NTSC DVD

So ... you're saying I should 'convert' to DV-AVI ??? Will there be any loss in quality??
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Crashes in Vista
              Level 1
              Rob, welcome to the Mpeg/PE4 horror show, I feel like we are almost brothers...LOL...

It turns out that I also have the Mini-DVD from Sony, which will only upload to a PC in Mpeg.

Here's the fix that I use:

~ After uploading Mpeg to your PC, import to Windows Movie Maker (WMM).
              ~ WMM comes standard with Vista.
              ~ Import Mpeg to WMM, export as DV-AVI (just take the standard DV-AVI defaults).

~~~ You can then import this DV-AVI into PE4 and your home free.

What I have found is that PE4 will work okay with small Mpeg Projects, but once the timeline gets large, or you add lots of transitions or effects, PE4 will either hang or abend.

Once converted to AVI, PE4 is quite stable and works like a charm.

Downside is that it's time consuming for this extra step and AVI files chew up disk space like a banchi, but DV-AVI works great with PE4...
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Crashes in Vista
                Level 1
                Regarding any quality issues on converting to DV-AVI using the method I descibed above, as far as my old tired eyes can tell, the quality loss is slight, if any.

To be honest, I can't see any difference between the Mpeg and converted DV-AVI, although I'm sure something is probably lost in the conversion.

Perhaps one of the experts can chime in on quality loss and converting between formats.

If my eyes can't see it, then as far as I'm concerned, it's okay...
                • 5. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Crashes in Vista
                  Level 1
                  Thanks I'll need to give that a shot .... So it's just the "presence" of MPGs ??? The last time it crashed .. 10 minutes ago .. I was editing a title page. Sigh ...

I've got a lot invested in this project right now .... I'll need to push through with frequent saves ... but the next one I will definitely convert my MPEGs ro DV-AVI ....
                  • 6. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Crashes in Vista
                    Level 1
                    What you can try to alliviate stress on your current project is:

~ go to SHARE and export the entire timeline in PE4 to DV-AVI.

~ then import the AVI file into PE4 and continue work.

~ what I think is, if converted in this manner, transitions and effects to date will then be embedded in the converted AVI, so you'll lose the ability to change these (easily) on the converted AVI.

~ but new effects added to this AVI can be edited or changed.

~ this should allow PE4 to become much more stable and guard against losing everything.

Good Luck (and stay away from those Mpeg's...LOL...)