1 2 Previous Next 53 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2008 7:33 PM by alaskalover08

Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4

alaskalover08 Level 1
      I am new to media software. I have some experience with editing photos in Photoshop Elements 4. Since that program was unable to make slideshows that played on a TV, I purchased the new bundle with Photoshop Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 4. I have been having great difficulty finding good instructions on how to do things in these programs. Their online manuals and Help section seem to be for people who are already familiar with these kinds of programs. So, I am here, to try to get some help.

I made a slideshow in Photoshop Elements 6 and sent it to Premiere Elements 4. I was able to burn it and it plays on our TV. Now I want to add music to it. I first looked at the slideshow in Premiere Elements 4 but could not figure out how to add the music using that program.

Therefore, I went back to the slideshow I created in Photoshop Elements 6 and have been trying to add music in that program with the idea of sending it to Premiere Elements 4 again when it is time to burn. I need to add Mulitiple Music Selections to the slideshow. I am trying to coordinate different music with the different cities we visited in Alaska. This has been a bit difficult for me to do. I am getting there, but it is not effecient. I posted on the Photoshop Elements Forum and it was suggested I try this forum. Someone thought it might be easier to do using Premiere Elements 4. If there is a link somewhere with directions on how to add the music in either program, I would be most grateful for that information. I am looking for instructions on how to add MULTIPLE music selections to ONE slideshow. I found the instructions for adding one music selection, and I understand that. I just need to take it further. Thank you for any help you can provide.
        • 1. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
          Level 1
          Hello Mary,
          I'm doing this already for years.
          In the project bin I create a folder music.
          For me the most easy way is open Windows explorer besides Premiere Elements and just drag the file from explorer to the folder in the project bin.
          The manual will say: use the import function from the menu or right click on the folder an choose add media from your hard drive, but the first way of importing is for me the most easy one.
          And for the rest after sending to Premiere the photos on the timeline are all seperated with the default transition. After deleting all the pictures from the timeline I drag them again to the time line. All the transition are gone now and you can choose (if necessary) the transition you like.
          O yes and add as many music files to the audio track(s) as you want, but be sure you do that after completing the video part.
          Take care that the default duration of a picture is about the time you want to show them (edit/preferences/general).
          A lot of pleasure with your work!
          Rob
          • 2. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
            alaskalover08 Level 1
            Hi Rob, Thanks for responding. I have a few things to clear up if you don't mind me asking.

If I understand you, I can send my completed slideshow that I made in Photoshop Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 4. Since my slideshow is complete with transitions, I am guessing I would not have to delete the photos from the timeline. Am I correct? Am I ready to add the music as soon as I import the slideshow into Premiere Elements 4? If I am correct up to this point, this is where I need the help adding the music. As an example, let's say I have 60 slides in my slideshow and want to add 3 different music selections. I want each song to last for 20 slides. Could you give me some steps as to how I would accomplish this. Thanks.

Mary
            • 3. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
              alaskalover08 Level 1
              One more thing, I don't know if I made myself clear. I do understand how to find the music selections on my computer. I just don't know how to place them where I want them in the slideshow. All I have done so far with Premiere Elements 4 is import a completed slide show from Photoshop Elements 6 and burn the slide show onto a DVD.
              • 4. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                Level 1
                Hello,
                Due to different timezones (I guess) there is rather much delay in answering.
                First of all PE is the right tool for making slideshows. I think transitions made in PSE will not be used in PE.
                The sequence I follow is here:
                1. Select the pictures in PSE organiser. If necessary create a new album for the pictures in the show.
                2. Right click the whole selection and send them to PE.
                3. Clean the timeline and place the pictures agaain (without transitions)
                4. Keep in mind that if a certain scaling is necessary for all the photos you can do it now. Just do it for the first photo and copy the attributes to all the others (Just right click first photo and choose copy and then select al others, rigt click and choose paste attributes)
                5. Check whether the duration of the photos is conform your thoughts and apply transitions where (and IF at all necessary) to the photos.
                6. Save regularly your project (My automatic save is 5 minutes, but still I do it "by hand" now and then). The stability of the program is not as in the past and certainly the program is not idiotproof....
                7. Then the selection of the music. All my music selection is on my external harddisk, so I can choose them directly. In Windows explorer I've choosen in "choose details" the duration, so when I open the music folder all my music is sorted on duration available.
                8 Just look in the timeline (always timeline, no sceneview)how long the music should be, choose in the explorer and drag it to your projectmap. So you are able to fill the project exactly with the music of your choice.
                I'm so glad with this workflow, that sometimes I have only photo's of an occasion (and no movie).
                And if you are a newbee, keep in mind that almost 90% of all the tips and tricks I've learnt on this forum
                So make a new start with Premiere and forget Photoshop for interesting slideshows
                (BTW I'm using version 3 of PE)
                Rob
                • 5. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                  alaskalover08 Level 1
                  Thanks again Rob. I will keep your directions handy for the next slideshow. I managed to come up with a slideshow in PSE. For a first attempt I am satisfied. However, I know that my next slide show has to be made in PE. I have learned enough to know that it will be even better. I think I have to get down to the real basics. Even in your directions, there are many terms I do not know. Perhaps I tried to do too much too soon. I will try again to go through the online manual for PE and see if it will start to make more sense. Once I have more of a handle on the program and the terminology, I will attempt a slideshow in PE. Thanks again for your help.
                  • 6. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                    alaskalover08 Level 1
                    Rob, I didn't wait to long to begin an attempt at a slide show in PE. I started reading the online manual again and got stumped immediately. Before I get too involved in this redo of my slideshow I have a question. Since I already have my photos in a slideshow in PSE and they are in the order I want them, can I send the slideshow to PE and then work with it there, or must I start all over with a new slide show by selecting the photos I want from the Organizer that is in PE? I was looking for my slideshow in the Organizer in PE but could not find it, even though it appears in the Organizer in PSE. I know how to send it from PSE to PE, but I thought the Organizer was supposed to share everything. Any help would be appreciated.
                    • 7. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                      Barb__O Level 4
                      >Since I already have my photos in a slideshow in PSE and they are in the order I want them, can I send the slideshow to PE and then work with it there, or must I start all over with a new slide show by selecting the photos I want from the Organizer that is in PE? I was looking for my slideshow in the Organizer in PE but could not find it, even though it appears in the Organizer in PSE. I know how to send it from PSE to PE, but I thought the Organizer was supposed to share everything.

Yes, I do think that you should be able to Send the slide show to Premiere Elements. Reference the PDF Help/User Guide file for PSE 6 Chapter 18, topic "Publish a slide show" and the last option shown is Send to Premiere Elements".

If you are sending the entire slide show (and I think that is your intent here) I would suggest that you not have any Premiere elements project open when you do that Send. A new project will be created by Premiere Elements and the slide show will be placed in that project.

When you start working in Premiere Elements, you will probably need to Break Apart the slide show so that you can see the individual slides. The Premiere Elements 4 PDF says "1 In the Sceneline, right-click the slide show, and choose Break Apart Photoshop Elements Slide Show." However, I am sure that there must also be an option to do the Break Apart from the Premiere Elements Timeline also.
                      • 8. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                        In Premiere Elements 4:
                        More than likely, the length of each song will not match the duration of the clips that you want to cover. Many songs have a silent portion at the beginning and end.

When you insert 3 songs to the same audio track (say audio track 1), you will cut the individual songs to fit, usually the beginning and/or the end portions. To make the music transition from one song to the other, you will fade in or fade out the beginning and/or end points' volume (either the "canned" fade or manual adjustment).

A better way is to use multiple audio tracks. For example, insert the 1st song on audio track 1, the 2nd song on audio track 2, and the 3rd song on audio track 1 or 3; each song should be placed under the appropriate video/picture clips. By doing this, the length of each song will not matter since they will overlap. You can then shift the songs in the various audio tracks so that they begin exactly under the appropriate video (without the silent part). Where two audio track contents overlap, fade out the 1st song's volume to zero, and fade in the 2nd song's volume from zero to the appropriate level. When the song's length becomes a problem, cut the song(s) in the audio track(s).

Despite your planning, the duration of a set of clips will rarely match the timing of songs. A solution is to lengthen/shorten the duration of the clip(s); another is to fade out the song; or use both strategies.
                        • 9. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                          Mary, first let me say I am by no means an expert on Premiere elements. However, I struggled with the same problem you are experiencing and may have another approach (hopefully simpler) for you to try. I got around this issue by creating multiple slideshows in photoshop elements and then sending them to premiere elements for burning to dvd. If I understand your issue correctly, you could create City 1 slideshow (20 slides), add music (click on "Fit Slides to Audio", and save in photoshop elements. Create City 2 slideshow in same manner. Same for City 3, etc. With both photoshop elements and premiere elements open, then just send the 3 separate slideshows to premiere elements in the sequence you want them to play. After you get more comfortable with premiere elements, you can use it to "dress up" the slideshow(s) with fancy titles, effects, etc. Hope this helps.
                          • 10. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                            alaskalover08 Level 1
                            W David Daniels:

Thanks for the tip. Someone else mentioned this too but it seemed like a bit of work, but I think I will try it. It seems like it should avoid my problem with the music just cutting off. I had no real problems creating the slide show in Elements or sending it to Premiere. It is just that when I got it in Premiere, I just couldn't figure out how to add the music. I understand that in Premiere I can make the music fade and also somehow coordinate the slides with the beat of the music. However, I do not find the instructions helpful for a neophyte who has never done anything like this.

My question is: Once I am sending the second slide show to Premiere, what do I do to make sure it gets adding to the first slide how I sent. I want to make sure it doesn't start as a new slide show. Thanks.
                            • 11. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                              Barb__O Level 4
                              >Once I am sending the second slide show to Premiere, what do I do to make sure it gets adding to the first slide how I sent. I want to make sure it doesn't start as a new slide show.

Be sure that Premiere Elements and the specific Premiere Elements project to which you want to add the second slide show is open -- before you do the Send of that Slideshow from Photoshop Elements.
                              • 12. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                Level 1
                                Mary, if I understand your question correctly here's all you need to do after you have created and saved separate slideshows(i.e. City 1, City 2, etc) in Photoshop Elements: (1)Open both premiere elements and photoshop elements (2) Send the first segment (city 1 slideshow, for example) of your vacation trip to premiere elements. Premiere elements will probably ask you for a name of the file (i.e. Alaska Trip)(3) After sending City 1 to premiere elements, keep premiere elements open (i.e. minimize) and then send the 2nd segment(City 2 slideshow) to premiere elements. Elements will add it immediately after the City 1 segment you previously sent. (3) Continue with City 3, City 4, etc.) You will then have a premiere elements project (file) that will play the different segments you sent in the same order you sent them as one continuous slideshow.

I had the exact same issue as you did as I wanted to create a vacation slideshow with each day being a separate segment with music for each segment. I found it much easier to create a slideshow/segment for each day in photoshop elements and then send each of them to premiere elements. With the "fit slides to audio" feature in photshop elements, this allows for the timing of the music to be "perfect" with each segment. I too was (and still am to a large degree) a novice with premiere elements but continue to learn. Using the approach I described doesn't utilize the many powerful (almost overwhelming to a novice) features in premiere elements but it will get you on your way to producing enjoyable slideshows. Good luck! Let me know if this works ok for you.
                                • 13. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                  Barb__O Level 4
                                  >With the "fit slides to audio" feature in photoshop elements

Mary and David,

I am quoting this from David's post to emphasize that you do want to do this before sending to Premiere Elements. I am not sure if you were previously using that feature back in Photoshop Elements.
                                  • 14. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                    alaskalover08 Level 1
                                    I really appreciate the responses. I am excited to get going again and try to make an other slide show. I will definitely let you know how it comes out.

Now my question is this:

Will I have to start all over in the organzer selecting my photos? Or is there some way to use the photos I already selected in my slideshow. We had so many photos and we chose limited ones for the slideshow. It was big job and everything is in order as we want it in the slideshow I already made. We had merged photos from two cameras. Unfortunately, on camera was dated incorrectly and made this project a lot more work than it needed to be. Ideally, I would like to use the photos from the slideshow. However, I am guessing from what has been posted, that I am going to really have to start over from scratch to make these individual slide shows. Please tell me I won't have to start from scratch ;)
                                    • 15. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                      alaskalover08 Level 1
                                      Barb,
                                      Yes,I actually understand what "fit slides to audio" means. Thank you for making sure I am on top of that. I did not use it for my slide show, because I could only figure out how to use the feature with one music selection per slideshow. I could not figure out if i was able to use it in Elements with the multiple songs. I do understand how I will be doing it by making mulitple slideshows and then sending each one to Premiere. I really appreciate the help you and David have offered. I will definitely try this as soon as I have a good block of time. I am still looking for a class to take.

I did ask my local library to order a couple of the books that have been recommended to me. Our local school system just adopted Elements 6 and Premiere 4, so I think I have a good chance that they will order them. I guess what most frustrates me is that I have learned several other programs with the manuals that came with them. I have not had that same success with this program. I know I am getting older, but I have always been a good problem solver and I love to learn new things. Like David, I want to learn how to use the features of Premiere. I know I can, with the right explanations.
                                      • 16. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                        Level 1
                                        Mary, in regard to your question about using existing or starting over, I will have to defer to Barb or others who are more knowledgeable than I am.

David
                                        • 17. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                          Barb__O Level 4
                                          Mary,

You should not need to start over. However, unfortunately I don't have a PSE v6 installation available to me now so that I could verify instructions that I would give you.

Different versions of PSE react differently when you save a slide show creation under a different name - so I don't want to give you bad information. You should be able to split your existing slide show in to 3 separate slide show creations - but the "devil" is in the details of how to do it.

So maybe it is best if you go back to the Photoshop Elements forum and post a question for how to split an existing slide show creation in to 3 separate slide show creations.
                                          • 18. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                            alaskalover08 Level 1
                                            After mulling this one over, I think what I will do is load my slideshow in Elements and then delete all the slides I don't want for the particular song. I will then do a "Save As" for the shortened version, and then send it to Premiere. I will continue to do this, until I am done. Hopefully this plan will work. If not, I will go back on the Elements Forum. I may even try calling Adobe and see if they have any online live help that could be of use. I keep going back to the online manual and help sections hoping a light bulb will go off. I have not had much time lately to devote to redoing this project, but maybe this evening I will give it a try. Thanks again.
                                            • 19. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                              alaskalover08 Level 1
                                              I got started tonight and "fit slides to audio" will not work out for me. It ends up adding way too much time per slide. My show is already an hour long and that would make it totally unacceptable. However, making the individual slide shows and adding the music, it does seem like the music fades out on the last slide instead of stopping abruptly. I am still not sure this is worth the time. I need to make a total of 17 individual slide shows, which I would then have to send to Premiere. I will see how much time I have this week to play with this. I am really glad I had saved my slide show twice. I accidently saved my new changes before I did a "save as" and lost the originally slideshow. I immediately did another "save as" of the complete slideshow in case I mess up again. This is so complicated!!! Thanks again for all the suggestions. I will get this done yet!!! :)
                                              • 20. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                Level 1
                                                Mary, sounds like it hasn't been a good night. A few questions so that I will understand better and can attempt to make additional suggestions.
                                                (1)Approximately how many total pictures are you attempting to utilize for the project?
                                                (2)How many pictures are you attempting to put in each of the separate slideshows/segments?
                                                (3)Is each of the 17 slideshows/segments you referred to a separate city (or some other logical break)?
                                                (4)Are you using typical popular music (i.e. 3 to 4 minutes long) for each of your segments?

David
                                                • 21. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                  alaskalover08 Level 1
                                                  Hi David,

1. I have 660 Photos
                                                  2. Various numbers of photos. Some days are shorter than others.
                                                  3. We were gone 18 days, so basically one slideshow per day.
                                                  4. I went on Amazon and bought MP3s of music people suggested for Alaska slideshows. I also found some nature music I liked. Unfortunately I did not pay attention to the time on all of them. I did learn I need to do that in the future. I think that would have helped some.

I did finish the slideshow and I am burning it right now. Even though the songs faded at the end of each slideshow in Elements, when I sent them all to Premiere and then played the slideshow, they did not fade. They stop abruptly at the end of each slideshow. I just have to try to figure out how to fade them within Premiere. I know Premiere has that capability, but I just can't figure it out. I really need a good book or good class to learn how to interpret this program. However, for a first slideshow ever with music, I am pretty pleased with it. Still lots to learn, but this was a good start. Thanks for all your help.
                                                  • 22. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                                                    Glad to hear things worked out for you, Mary!
                                                    • 23. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                      alaskalover08 Level 1
                                                      Steve,
                                                      I assume from your name that you are the one who wrote the Muvpix book on Premiere Elements 7. I have a question about the book. I have read it would be good for Premiere Elements 4 also. Would you agree? Also, is it written for the person who has never used video editing software? I have done many searches on both Adobe and Google. Sometimes I find my questions asked, but when I read the answers, they assume I know far more than I do. I need very basic knowledge. For example, I found instructions to help me learn how to fade music in Premiere Element which said: "click on the audio track." Well, I have no clue where to find the audio track. Then the next direction I read said to "place the play head where you want the music to begin to fade." Again, I have no clue where or what a play head is. Doing a search in the Premiere Element help did not provide any results. As you can see, I need the very basic instruction, step by step. Do you think your book would help me out?
                                                      • 24. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                        Nice of you to recognize my name, Mary! :)

Yes, the interfaces of version 4 and version 7 are similar enough that nearly all of the book would be applicable. And, even that tools that aren't quite the same (version 7 has a more advanced Organizer, for instance), the principles are the same.

The book is definitely written for the novice as well as the somewhat experienced user who wants to get to know the program better. I go through nearly every tool in every workspace and explain how to use it.

Additionally, you can look up any task (gathering clips and transitions on the timeline or sceneline, adding and adjusting effects, creating motion paths, creating slideshows, customizing DVD menus) and I'll walk you through the process of doing it.

Does that sound like something you can use?
                                                        • 25. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                          Barb__O Level 4
                                                          >Even though the songs faded at the end of each slideshow in Elements, when I sent them all to Premiere and then played the slideshow, they did not fade.

Steve and Mary,

On page 75 of Steve's book it says "Fades in and out of a clip are most easily achieved by right clicking on a clip in your timeline or sceneline and selecting the Fade In or Fade Out option" (sorry for any typos). That seems like the simplest solution for Mary.

Steve,
                                                          For Mary's problem of not seeing the Audio track, is that merely a matter of scrolling to see the audio tracks?
                                                          • 26. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                            Most likely.

Usually, in timeline mode, you can see the Main Three audio tracks by default (Audio 1, Narration & Soundtrack). If your clip ends up on another audio track, you may need to scroll the timeline panel up to see it.

And, if you're editing in sceneline mode and the audio ends up on another audio track YOU WON'T SEE IT AT ALL! (Which is why I recommend everyone work in timeline mode.) Sceneline mode only displays the Soundtrack and Narration tracks, with the Audio 1 track "implied" as part of the main video track.
                                                            • 27. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                              alaskalover08 Level 1
                                                              <<<<<For Mary's problem of not seeing the Audio track, is that merely a matter of scrolling to see the audio tracks? >>>><br /><br />Barb, it is very possible I am seeing an Audio Track, but I just don't know what it looks like. That is why I need very detailed instructions. I plan on ordering Steve's book at this point to help me along.<br /><br /><<<On page 75 of Steve's book it says "Fades in and out of a clip are most easily achieved by right clicking on a clip in your timeline or sceneline and selecting the Fade In or Fade Out option" (sorry for any typos). That seems like the simplest solution for Mary.>>>><br /><br />I just got stumped again. I tried this and when I right click on what is the last slide of my slideshow, I do not get the option of Fade In or Fade out. Here are the options that are available when I right click the last slide (which I assume is the term 'clip' that you are referring to):<br /><br />Set Menu Marker<br />Delete scene and its objects<br />delete just scene<br />show properties
                                                              • 28. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                                You're right-clicking on the the timeline, not the clip, Mary.

Click to select the clip and then right-click on it. You'll see the Fade menus.
                                                                • 29. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                                  alaskalover08 Level 1
                                                                  I must need a definition of "clip." I left clicked with my mouse on the last slide of my first section. This slide is the one I want the music to fade out on before a new music selection starts for the next slide. When I left click on this slide a blue box appears around the slide. Then I right click and a menu comes up. However, the only choices are the ones I listed in my previous post.

I have been doing more reading in the Help section and I am beginning to wonder if the problem has something to do with my video and audio clips not being linked. Since the music plays with the slides, I assumed they were linked, but now I am thinking maybe not.

As you can tell, I am very overwhelmed with this program. I learned Word Perfect, Word, Excel, Access and Photoshop Elements 4 as well as few other simple programs. However, I seem totally over my head with this program. I have no intuition when it comes to this video editing. I will get there, I know I will. I firmly believe in keeping the brain active and learning something new everyday. I have taught myself many things and usually if I have a good set of instructions, I can do whatever I set out to do. I just haven't found those instructions yet. I will be getting your book, but will probably have to wait until Christmas, unless my local library purchases it as I requested. Meanwhile, I will keep looking at it and trying to figure it out.
                                                                  • 30. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                                    It's likely you would benefit from a book or tutorials on the basics, Mary. If not my book or "Premiere Elements in a Snap", then one of the tutorials on the products page of http://www.muvipix.com. At the very least, you can work through some of the tutorials that come included with the program.

I'm not sure how much we can help you until you have a handle on the fundamentals, like knowing what a clip and the CTI are and how to use right-click menus.

There's certainly no shame in that. It's just sort of like knowing which is the gas pedal and which is the brake before you learn to drive. ;)
                                                                    • 31. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                                      Barb__O Level 4
                                                                      Hi Mary and Steve,

I do agree Mary that you do need more background in order to use Premiere Elements effectively. However, MAYBE we can walk you thru this one task of adjusting your music to fade out so that you can finish this project.

>I am beginning to wonder if the problem has something to do with my video and audio clips not being linked

I don't think that the music of a slideshow that is sent from Photoshop Elements is "linked" to the slides/video as the terminology "linked" is used within Premiere Elements. However, I can't be sure for PE version 4.

>I left clicked with my mouse on the last slide of my first section.

Mary, are you in the Sceneline or the Timeline view when you do this?
                                                                      The sceneline actually looks similar to the PSE slide show editor. References to shots of the Sceneline and Time line in the
                                                                      PRE 4 Help PDF file are:

Chapter 7 topic "Sceneline Overview" and "Timeline Overview" each of which has an image showing the layout.

The music that you added during the Photoshop Elements editor might reside on the Soundtrack or it might reside on an Audio track. So
                                                                      b scroll to look at all the tracks in both the Sceneline and Timeline views
                                                                      and post back with where you found your music. In general, when you find the track on which the music resides, it is then the specific song (within that track) where you would click to get the option to fade out.
                                                                      • 32. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                                        alaskalover08 Level 1
                                                                        Steve,

That is exactly why I originally asked if you thought your book was for a beginner. I am fully aware I need a basic, step by step introduction to video editing for the first time user. I just found out my library will be ordering your book. I am very excited!!! I think I just need to take a break for awhile and then go back to it and see if some intuition has set in. ;)

Barb,

I am in sceneline when I click on the slides. When I click on Timeline it is blank and I don't understand anything around it. Again, that is why I need a good book with good illustrations and simplified instructions.

Steve,

I did try several online tutorials, but they did not help me out. When it came to adding music, they showed how to add one song. That I can do. The tutorials I found did not show how to add multiple songs. I will not give up. I never do!!! I can do this!!! I will learn this program!!! I love a challenge!!! Hopefully the book will be at my library soon. If not, I will be getting it for Christmas.

Thanks again to all who have tried to help me. I will let you know when I have this all figured out, and I will!!!
                                                                        • 33. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                                          Barb__O Level 4
                                                                          Mary,

I will try to give you references to material that is free.

>The Sceneline shows a Scenes video track
                                                                          where you place video clips and other images, a Narration soundtrack for any narrations you might record, and a
                                                                          soundtrack where you can place background music and other sounds.

The above text is from the PDF Help file of PE4 topic of "Sceneline Overview" and within that topic there is an image showing a Sceneline.

When you are in the Sceneline, do you see the 2 tracks below the slide images. The bottom of the two has a musical note symbol to the left of it. Do you see anything on the Soundtrack?

>When I click on Timeline it is blank

This is a puzzle because I would not expect the timeline to be totally blank - especially when you see something in the sceneline. BUT that does give me an idea!

MAYBE you have not Broken Apart the Slide Show
                                                                          IF in the Sceneline, you see only one image to represent the slide show that you sent from Photoshop Elements, then it has not been broken apart.

Again referring to the Help file,
                                                                          "In the Sceneline, right-click the slide show, and choose Break Apart Photoshop Elements Slide Show."
                                                                          After you break it apart, on the Sceneline you should see the individual photos of the slide show. And what I want to know is
                                                                          b what do you see on the Soundtrack AFTER the slide show is broken apart?

Although I totally agree with Steve's comment that using the Timeline is best, IF you can do the fade of the music from the Sceneline that may be OK for this project.
                                                                          • 34. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                            Mary,

I create all of my slideshows in Premiere Pro, so I am learning a lot about the interaction between PSE and PE from your thread. Were it not for Barbs instructions to Break Apart the slide show from PSE, I would never have thought of that. As you say, learn something new everyday. I also only have the full Photoshop, not PS Elements, so I do not know what PSE offers. See, Im learning things right there.

Now, lets see if I can give you an easy way to do the Fade-out of your Audio, and not confuse you. There are several ways to do this, but I like to use the Audio Mixer. Maybe its because it looks like my mixing console from my analog days and Im comfortable with the pot (potentiometer) control that is displayed.

You have now followed Barbs instructions to Break Apart the slide show. You are now in the Timeline view and have expanded it horizontally and maybe the two main Track (Audio, where your music is, and Video) vertically, so that you can see your Clips (your slides). Go to the menu at the top of the Workspace and click Window. This will give you a drop-down menu. About 7/8 of the way down, click on Audio Mixer. This would be written as Window>Audio Mixer. This will open a new Panel, Audio Mixer. At the top of this new Panel are the names of your Audio Tracks, say Audio 1, Audio 2, Narration and Music. Because you could have your music on about any of these, youll need to match up its location (left side of the Timeline will give you the exact Track name) with the names of the various Tracks in the Audio Mixer. Once you have that name match, the fun begins.

I like to place the CTI (the Current Time Indicator) a bit ahead of where I will want to make my change. This gives me some time to get ready. Lets say that your music IS on the Music Track. Looking down below that label in the Audio Mixer, you can see a round knob marked Balance. Look down below that and youll see a vertical window marked Level, with a chart just to the right of it. There are three elements to that chart: a black slot line, and small horizontal rectangle with a horizontal line in it and then numbers with +s and -s. That horizontal rectangle is the pot (potentiometer) handle and is what we will be using. It is probably set a 0, but it might reflect a sound level set previously, maybe in PSE. You might want to jot down where it is set right now, in case we need to go back.

Now its time to get creative. Position the Audio Mixer where you can see it and also the Timeline. Note that you can change the size of the Audio Mixer, so that it only shows the Audio Track that you are working on, if needed. Place your mouses cursor over the pot handle (that little horizontal bar) click and hold for a second. With your other hand, hit the Spacebar to start the play of your Timeline. The CTI will begin moving to the right and youll hear the Audio Track and see the images in the Monitor. While still clicking and holding on the pot, get ready. When you are approaching where you want your Fade-out to begin, slowly drag the pot down to the very bottom. The idea is to do this at a speed that will get you to the - ∞ point, just as you come to the end of your slide.

What this does is automatically add Keyframes to the Audio Track (the one where your music is), that go from the set level to silent. This is just how we used to do it pre-digital, except we had our finger on the pot and actually slid a mechanical/electronic device. If you look closely at your Audio Track, youll also see a bunch of little circles on the yellow line. These are the Keyframes. The beauty of doing it this way, is that you can vary the speed of the Fade-out. You can start slowly, then increase the Velocity of the Fade. [Note: in Premiere Pros Effects Panel, you can manipulate this Velocity to your hearts content. I do not believe that PE allows as much control there.]

There are two other ways to accomplish the same thing. One is to manually add a Keyframe, at the CTI (accomplished by clicking on the little diamond on the left side of the Audio Track in the Timeline), on the Audio Track, where you wish the Fade-out to start. This basically holds the Level before that point to what it was set to. Then you go to the end of that piece of music. Lets say that it ends exactly where your slide ends (on the Video Track). I find that point easily by hitting Page Down, then the <- key (left cursor key). Page Down takes you to the next cut, or Clip, and the <- takes you back to the last frame. Here youd manually add another Keyframe. Drag down on this second Keyframe to drop the Audio level to - ∞ like above.

The other way to do this is to add an Audio Transition to the end of your music. I use Constant Power from the Audio Transitions pre-sets for this. One can alter the length of these Transitions to fit the time desired for the Fade-out. When it comes to steps involved, this might be the easiest method, but I like the control of Keyframes, and like to use the Audio Mixer to achieve the effect that I am listening for.

As with most Adobe programs, there are several ways to get what you desire. These methods usually only differ by degrees for control. Some are almost one click and drag solutions, other require user input. The beauty is that the simple way will often get what you want, while the latter will allow much more control.

Personally, Id try all three, just to see which one is easier for you and which one allows you the exact effect that you want.

I hope that the forum formatting will bring in the characters that I have used, so you can see them. If you get a bunch of little solid black blocks, it did not. That is why I also added the annotations to tell you what the symbol is.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                                                            • 35. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                                              Barb__O Level 4
                                                                              Hunt,

I plan to cut and paste your descriptions in to a Word document and save them for future reference. However, there was something much simpler that I was planning for Mary to do.

I was thinking that in Premiere Elements 3, I had right clicked on an audio clip on the Timeline and there was a menu choice to Fade Out. I think that this option still exists in Premiere Elements 4. Whether Mary will need to go to the Timeline view of Premiere Elements I am not sure.

Since I don't think Mary has ever done video editing, I believe that it would be simpler for her if she could use only the Sceneline this time - but I won't know until she posts back what she sees in the Sceneline after the break apart.

Yes, what I am suggesting is the most basic adjustment - but I think it is the simplest for Mary to do for this project.
                                                                              • 36. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                                Barb,

Thank you for the reply. I see your point about keeping things simple here. I had not used the "Fade" functions in PE, and really did not even know that they existed. I am sure that there a lot of very useful tid-bits in PE, that I have just not found. Since I do 99.9% of my NLE work in Pro, I often attack a problem "by hand," not expecting there to be a more expedient way about it. I'm sure that Mary will appreciate your suggestion better. OK, so now there are FOUR ways to go about it!

Regardless of the exact method, I hope that Mary is able to get what she needs. I need to just get editing in PE, so I can fully explore all of its potential. Hate to say this, but I am the newest of newbies with regards to PE, and have never even seen PSE, so I know zero about it.

Thanks,

Hunt
                                                                                • 37. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                                                  alaskalover08 Level 1
                                                                                  Barb and Hunt,

Oh my gosh...I am actually making progress....Thank you both so much. Sometimes just leaving a project for awhile and then coming back to it, and working refreshed is helpful. I really wasn't planning on going back to this project until next week as I am very busy this week, but your kind and informative responses are keeping me motivated to get this perfected before my out of town company comes this weekend.

I am not sure why things seem to have fallen in place, but I did get the music to fade. I just opened up my slideshow (which was broken apart) in Sceneline View. I clicked on a slide I wanted to fade out. Then I switched to Timeline and low and behold, there was the name of the music selection associated with that slide. This was the first time I actually saw something other than a dark grey, empty box in the Timeline. I did right click the music 'clip' and I did see "fade out" as an option. I selected that and the music faded. WOW!!!! I am excited!!!!! I knew I would get this figured out and with your help I did. Thank you so much. I still have to try and see if I can get it to work for all 17 clips, but I will work on it some more tonight. I will let you know how it turns out.

I will also go back and so some reading now, as I am sure things will be making more sense to me now. I accidently dragged a clip and then lost the music. So, I will start over again trying to be a bit more carefull with the mouse.

I do have a question about the timeline. Should I be seeing my slides in it? I am just seeing the names of my music in the timeline. I still have a lot to learn. I see so many things that look like sliders and numbers that I have no clue about. However, this is a big start and a great help!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! You helped keep me motivated and encouraged to keep at it. I knew this was not hard, but I just couldn't interpret the instructions. I am now on my way!!!!! Thanks again!!!! It is so kind of you to keep trying to help me out.
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                                                    Barb__O Level 4
                                                                                    Positioning using the Sceneline and then switching to the Timeline was a very good approach for you. It should make it simpler for you for now.

>I do have a question about the timeline. Should I be seeing my slides in it? I am just seeing the names of my music in the timeline.

Yes, once you have broken apart the slideshow, you can see slides on the Timeline. However,

--- It does not look like the Sceneline where each photo is isolated. It is a video representation that is continuous AND it depends on how much you are zoomed in on the Timeline, how much detail you see. It is possible that if you have the entire duration of the timeline visible on your screen you can not see sufficient detail to identify any given photo.

--- The slides (video) and the audio are on separate tracks. The positioning of these multiple tracks for the Timeline is different in PE4 than in PE3 so I can't be specific. However, it does seem possible that you can't see a track on your monitor unless you scroll.

I am still curious and I want to know
                                                                                    When you are using the Sceneline, what do you see on the
                                                                                    b Soundtrack
                                                                                    line of the scenline which is below the images of the photos?
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Adding Music to a slideshow in Premiere Elements 4
                                                                                      alaskalover08 Level 1
                                                                                      Hi Barb,

When I am in Sceneline, there are two horizontal dark gray "stripes" with a narrower light gray stripe inbetween them. Initially I thought they were blank, because you see nothing on them. However, when I scroll the slideshow I do see the songs of my slide show listed. The darker grey stripe has changed to a lighter grey stripe when the name of a song appears on it. However, even though my first song plays, I do not see it listed in Sceneline, but it does appear in Timeline. Another little confusion for me to figure out.

If I dare ask another question, I would like to know if there is a way in Premiere to add or subtract seconds to how long each slide shows during the slideshow. When I created my slideshows in Photoshop Elements I made most of them 5 seconds. I did adjust a few others for the sake of the music. Now that I am working in Premeire Elements, I would like to make a few other time changes, but of course, I can't figure that out. I tried searching the help, but again, to no avail. It is quite simple in Photoshop Elements. Can I do this in Premiere?

Thanks again for your help. Sometimes it takes me awhile, but it is all starting to gel. I am eager to try reading the online manual again with my new knowledge. I do think I will make a little more progress now. I can't wait to try to get the slideshow done with the fades. I will be very happy. Next time I will try to learn some new effects, but for a first project, this will be great!!! Thanks so much!!!
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next