8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2008 3:26 PM by Phil.com

Good Book to self-teach Premiere Elements 4

alaskalover08 Level 1
      Does anyone know of a good book to buy that teaches Premiere Elements 4 to someone who has no previous experience with video editing software?

I have tried the online help and the online manual, but they seem to be geared to someone who is already familiar with this type of software.

Thanks for any help.
        • 1. Re: Good Book to self-teach Premiere Elements 4
          Level 1
          Hang on until PE7 is in the shops. It's been announced by Adobe some time ago, so it should be imminent. PE4 had a lot of issues which are covered in this forum.

Steve Grisetti has written a book about PE7 so I imagine it will have some real world advice on how to use PE7 to it's fullest capability (or stuff you'd want to do, but didn't know how to do it).
          • 2. Re: Good Book to self-teach Premiere Elements 4
            alaskalover08 Level 1
            The problem is I just bought the Photoshop Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 4 bundle this summer to put together my vacation photos. I really don't want to spend more money on another program. I would just like to learn how to use this one if that is possible. Of course, if it is not possible, I may have to make another investment. I hope not.
            • 3. Re: Good Book to self-teach Premiere Elements 4
              Level 1
              I think that Steve said that the PE7 book will apply to PE4.
              • 4. Re: Good Book to self-teach Premiere Elements 4
                Barb__O Level 4
                > The problem is I just bought the Photoshop Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 4 bundle this summer to put together my vacation photos. I really don't want to spend more money on another program.

Mary,

In addition to the potential of Steve's v7 book also working with v4:

You could call Adobe customer support and ask if they will give you any cost adjustment if you purchase PSE 7 and PRE 7 now. It may depend on exactly when you purchased.

There is the Adobe Classroom in a Book that covers Photoshop Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 4. If your local library has any book on Adobe software, you might check if they have this one.

Do you have the most complete Help/User Guide files for PSE 6 and PE 4?
                You need to either download a PDF file from the Adobe site or go to the Online Help function in order to have the complete contents of Help. The Help that shipped with the products is not complete. At
                http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/premiere_elements/
                you can get a PDF of the User Guide and you can also find several tutorial videos.
                • 5. Re: Good Book to self-teach Premiere Elements 4
                  alaskalover08 Level 1
                  Barb, Thank you again for all of your help. I tried our library system which connects with multiple libraries, and none of them have that book. However, since our local school system just purchased the Photoshop Elements 6, Premiere Elements 4 programs they might be willing to purchase the book for our local libraries. I will definitely stop by and ask them about it. I will also keep my eyes out for the Steve Grisetti book. I tried contacting Adobe via the online chat. That was a waste. I will check with them about an upgrade or manual that would be useful. Thanks for the great ideas. I will figure this out!!! I always do!!! This time it has just been a bit more of a challenge. Perhaps it is the aging brain. ;)
                  • 6. Re: Good Book to self-teach Premiere Elements 4
                    Phil.com Level 1
                    << There is the Adobe Classroom in a Book that covers Photoshop Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 4. >>

I'm using it now and it is quite good, ISBN: 978-0-321-53395-1
                    http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Elements-Premiere-Classroom-Collection/dp/032153395X/ref=s r_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1222902525&sr=11-1

Not cheap but when you figure what your time is worth it may be worth it.

Cheers! PHIL
                    • 7. Re: Good Book to self-teach Premiere Elements 4
                      alaskalover08 Level 1
                      Phil, Thanks for the info. I have been looking that one and it does have great reviews. I am seriously considering it. Might see if our library will order it. Then if I find it a great resource for me, I will buy it for myself. Thanks again.
                      • 8. Re: Good Book to self-teach Premiere Elements 4
                        Phil.com Level 1
                        Watch Amazon for used ones. Right now it is ridiculous because the used ones are more expensive than the new ones.

Cheers! PHIL