9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2008 3:04 AM by Ozpeter

Where is the list of bugs fixed in PE7?

(John_M_Moss)
      I've received several emails from Adobe marketing today encouraging me to upgrade from PE4 to PE7. Having been disappointed when upgrading from PE3 to PE4 I'd like to know what's actually fixed. I don't care about new features, I want to know which old features that never worked now do. Most other software applications release patches and document what bugs are fixed with each release. I haven't been able to find anything similar on the PE site at Adobe.
        • 1. Re: Where is the list of bugs fixed in PE7?
          Ozpeter Level 1
          I'm unaware of any bug lists ever released by Adobe - whether fixed or not.

I've pre-ordered, so maybe if you have a particular bug in mind I could try to check it out when the program arrives? Trouble is, unless it's a bug that happens on all installations will all media types, it might not be that easy to check for.
          • 2. Re: Where is the list of bugs fixed in PE7?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            Although version 7 has refined a lot of tools introduced in version 4 -- as a rule of thumb, if you can't run one version of the program, you're probably going to have trouble with the next. Subsequent generations are generally about new features and tools; the basic code and functions is usually pretty much the same.

If you'd like to describe your computer system (including operating system) and your workflow (what kind of camcorder you're getting your video from and what types of outputs you usually create) as well as how intensive you tend to edit, maybe we can recommend the best program for your needs.
            • 3. Re: Where is the list of bugs fixed in PE7?
              Level 1
              Hello Steve,

Very interested in your statement above. Maybe you could recommend the best for me.

Basically I take HDV from a Sony HDR-HC1E camcorder using HDVsplit (just like I did in PE2) onto the HDD and then import. I have Roxio Creative Suite 10 installed with the latest upgrade. I have Nero 8 installed also. I have various Adobe, Photoshop CS3, Illustrator etc., from the suite of Adobe software. I have the latest iTunes and Quicktime, plus the latest Creative software for the soundcard. All drivers are the latest. I have the latest KLcodec pack. I have Capture NX and Lightroom 2 (perhaps a bit of overkill, but I like what each has to offer). I have an Epson R1800 printer and a 4990 Photo Scanner and McAfee Virus Scan (updated daily). The 500GB Western Digital hard drive is purely for PE4. Nothing else.

From Belarc advisor, I have the following system:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
              Processor 2.67 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9450
              64 kilobyte primary memory cache
              6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
              Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X48-DQ6
              Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
              BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F6 02/29/2008
              Drives Memory Modules c,d
              1300.28 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
              900.33 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L [CD-ROM drive]
              SONY DVD RW DRU-820A SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
              TSSTcorp CDW/DVD SH-M522C SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
              3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

HDS724040KLSA80 [Hard drive] (400.09 GB) -- drive 1
              HDS724040KLSA80 [Hard drive] (400.09 GB) -- drive 0,
              WD 5000AAV External USB Device [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 2

3328 Megabytes Installed Memory

ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series [Display adapter]
              Sony SDM-P234 [Monitor] (23.2"vis, December 2004)

ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01
              Creative Game Port
              Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
              Realtek High Definition Audio

What do you have, a Mac or a PC? My workflow is quite simple. Download, import, edit, add titles, then share via DVD and BD-R as my PS3 will play Blu-ray (BD-R) discs and they look great on a 40" Sony full HD LCD.

Thanks for your advice and I hope I can use PE7 because when it works, it's the best. In fact, I like it so much I'd even consider building a computer just for it and put only PE7 on it. Nothing else (well except the stuff you could recommend). Really, because I have a lot of HDV film to edit.
              • 4. Re: Where is the list of bugs fixed in PE7?
                I would give the evaluation version of Premiere Elements 7 a try, Bruce. You certainly seem to be a good candidate for it! Assuming you're using a 32-bit version of XP, of course. 64-bit OSes can be problems for this program.

About the only change I might recommend is to replace McAfee antivirus with the free download Avast. It's must less intrusive -- and it's free!

And my regular maintenance schedule will keep your computer running like new.
                http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a
                • 5. Re: Where is the list of bugs fixed in PE7?
                  Al Brito
                  I got Vista 64 and I have NOT had any problems with it except that when I add lot's of transitions the program crashes when exporting to AVI or MPEG. Exporting to Windows media seems to be all right. This also happened in my old XP box P4 2.8 GHZ, 1 GB Mem) of which I blamed the lack of memory for it, but sure enough I recreated it without any problem in my new Core 2 Duo 3 GHZ box with 4 GB memmory. I hope that is fixed in PE7.
                  • 6. Re: Where is the list of bugs fixed in PE7?
                    As I said, the free trial is up, so you can download it and give it a test drive, Alfred.
                    • 7. Re: Where is the list of bugs fixed in PE7?
                      Level 1
                      Just checked for the free trial and the Adobe website says the end of October. Is it available anywhere else?
                      • 8. Re: Where is the list of bugs fixed in PE7?
                        You're right. They haven't put the trial version up yet.

But it should be soon. They've already starting shipping the program an downloads of it are available.
                        https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&view=ols_prod&category=/Appl ications/PremiereElements&distributionMethod=FULL&nr=0
                        • 9. Re: Where is the list of bugs fixed in PE7?
                          Ozpeter Level 1
                          My pre-order is now listed as "arriving on Saturday 4th October" - arriving here or arriving at the Adobe store? Well, the excitement is building, anyway! Yes, I should get a life...