17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2008 12:58 AM by (James_McErlain)

Add Text

When I add text to various points in a movie is there something to do to keep it from shifting from the original point after rendering and or exporting it to a DVD?

Thanks in advance for help.

James
      Rep. of Ireland
        • 1. Re: Add Text
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          I'm not sure what you mean by "keep it from shifting from the original point", James.

Are you working in Sceneline mode? If so, switch to Timeline mode. You'll see the title you've created on an upper video track, and you can drag it to any position in your video you'd like.
          • 2. Re: Add Text
            Level 1
            Thanks Steve, I'm using Timeline mode and everything plays back OK before Rendering. A copy which hasn't been rendered but stored on my Hard Drive will always play back as expected.
            But when playing back the movie after rendering it or from a DVD, the text which was inserted to describe e.g. a location on the ground during a low level flight has now shifted forward to a point in the movie which is several seconds after the original point. During a 30 minute flight I inserted many descriptive texts. These descriptions were all moved forward with the result that when the movie finished the last frame continued to display and the remaining undisplayed descriptions continued to display until all were displayed with the appropriate time spacings.

James
            • 3. Re: Add Text
              I have no idea why that would happen, James.

Particularly if an output rendered to your hard drive plays fine. It just doesn't make sense. At that point, it's no longer text -- it's video data -- so how can it move to a different place?

Sorry I can't help you.
              • 4. Re: Add Text
                Level 1
                Steve,You have misunderstood me.
                The problem is there after Rendering.
                • 5. Re: Add Text
                  Level 1
                  Steve,
                  The moving of the text does not occur if I only save the project to the hard drive.
                  The text moves as soon as I render the project.

Thank you

James
                  • 6. Re: Add Text
                    "The moving of the text does not occur if I only save the project to the hard drive."

This is the part that doesn't make sense to me, James. It's impossible to output your video to your hard drive without rendering!

Try exporting a DV-AVI of your project. (Select the timeline and then go to File/Export/Movie.) If this works, you can then use this AVI to create your final output.
                    • 7. Re: Add Text
                      Level 1
                      I'm exporting the file at the moment as advised (saved in *.avi format) by you Steve. This initiates the Rendering process which is going to take 45 minutes approx.
                      Previously when I saved the file to my hard drive it remained in *.prel format and only took a few seconds as the Rendering process wasn't initiated.

James.
                      • 8. Re: Add Text
                        "Previously when I saved the file to my hard drive it remained in *.prel format"

That's because you didn't save the video. The "prel" is the project file. It's very small and contains only instructions for the program, not media.

I'm concerned that your rendering is taking so long. This may be the nature of what you're using as a source file -- which could be the source of all of your problems.

Rendering and output, with optimized source video or even properly sized photos, should take just a few minutes.
                        • 9. Re: Add Text
                          Level 1
                          Steve,
                          The file won't Render for me and I am getting an error message 'Error Compling Movie. Disk Full'
                          I've tried to export it twice to a new different Directories with the same Error each time. (My Hard Disk has 102GB free space)

The source file was in AVI format, taken by an Oregon Scientific ActionCam which records 2 Half Hour files onto an 2GB SD card @ 640x480.

James
                          • 10. Re: Add Text
                            Is your hard drive formatted NTFS or FAT32? FAT32 drives have a file size limit that would prevent rendering of larger files.

Open My Computer, right-click on the your hard drive(s) and select Properties.

Beyond that, it's most likely an issue with the AVI -- which is probably not a DV-AVI. (The easiest way to find out is to open it with Windows Media Player and then, from the File menu, select Properties. This will show you the codec the file used.)

If it's not a DV-AVI, you'll need to convert it to one. The FAQs at the top of this forum tell you one way to do it.
                            http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc247e2
                            • 11. Re: Add Text
                              Level 1
                              Steve,
                              I opened the file in Movie Maker and tried to convert as per description at the link you provided. When trying to convert to DV-AVI I was advised that as Movie file was going to be almost 7GB and the limitation in FAT System is 4GB the task couldn't be done.

James
                              • 12. Re: Add Text
                                That too could be a part of your problem. You must be working off a drive other than you C drive.

You should not be using FAT32 formatted drives with XP. Converting the drive to NTFS will relieve you of that issue -- and you can do so with virtually no risk to the data that's on it.

Here's how:
                                http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

Sorry if it sounds like we're chasing a lot of issues here, but there are so many fundamental issues that it's impossible to presume and you never know unless someone tells you. For what it's worth, I do cover a lot of these fundamentals in my new book "The Muvipix.com Guide to Premiere Elements 7" as well as in the 160+ FAQs at the top of this forum -- though the book is much easier to work your way through. ;)
                                • 13. Re: Add Text
                                  Level 1
                                  No I have only the one Hard Disk (C:)and it isn't partitioned Steve.
                                  Thanks for all your help, I would like to purchase your book - do you sell it privately at all or only thru Amazon?

P.S.
                                  Where are you based Steve? Do you ever come to Ireland? If you ever visit come to Kerry and I will take you for a flight in my Flexwing Microlight!

James
                                  • 14. Re: Add Text
                                    Thanks, James. I've just added Ireland to the list of places I need to visit before I die! (Which, hopefully, won't be for a while.)

I'm just here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. And my book is available on Amazon. So I'm not selling it out of my garage!

Very strange, your C drive being formatted FAT32. Was your computer originally loaded with XP? Was it home-built? Every off-the-shelf XP or Vista machine has its drive formatted NTFS. FAT32 is considered obsolete technology!
                                    • 15. Re: Add Text
                                      Level 1
                                      Steve,
                                      My laptop is a brand called Acer Aspire 5672 and is about 2 years old. It came preloaded with XP with the FAT32 as the default format.

James
                                      • 16. Re: Add Text
                                        Paul_LS Level 4
                                        Here is the Microsoft internet site that explains how to convert FAT32 to NTFS:
                                        http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307881
                                        • 17. Re: Add Text
                                          Level 1
                                          Thanks Paul

James