12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2008 2:14 PM by Paul_LS

PE7  AVCHD slow and  .mt2s files don't show preview icon

Just upgraded to PE7 from PE4. In PE7 when you select Get Media > PC Files and Folders you see a list of .mt2s files however the icons are white ... not a preview of the contents of the file as with .mpg files. However, once brought into PE7 there is a preview in the icon shown in the project.

Also, PE7 is exponentially slower than PE4 was on my Intel quad-core 2.4GHz processor with 4 gig RAM and GeForce 8800 GT video card. The playing of AVCHD files is so jumpy that it is practically unusable for editing! Interestingly, .mpg files play fine!
        • 1. Re: PE7  AVCHD slow and  .mt2s files don't show preview icon
          PeterFDuke Level 1
          >PE7 is exponentially slower than PE4

??

From Wikipedia:
          Exponential growth (including exponential decay) occurs when the growth rate of a mathematical function is proportional to the function's current value.
          • 2. Re: PE7  AVCHD slow and  .mt2s files don't show preview icon
            Ozpeter Level 1
            > Also, PE7 is exponentially slower than PE4 was on my Intel quad-core 2.4GHz processor with 4 gig RAM and GeForce 8800 GT video card.

Here I have a Q9300 @ 2.5GHz with 2GB of ram running XP Pro, with a GeForce 8600 GT card, and it seems to play Panasonic SD5 files just fine, with the kind of CPU use that I've seen in other programs.

Have you tried the DPC latency checker utility at www.thesycon.de as your first line of investigation?
            • 3. Re: PE7  AVCHD slow and  .mt2s files don't show preview icon
              Paul_LS Level 4
              PHT, what do you mean when you say...

"when you select Get Media > PC Files and Folders you see a list of .mt2s files however the icons are white ... not a preview of the contents of the file as with .mpg files."

... in the Add Media window I just see icons for any media type, I only see the preview when I actually add the media. This is how it has been in all versions of PE for me.

Really surprised when you say PE7 is sluggish with AVCHD files. I am running on a dual core 2.4GHZ processor and get real time playback from the timeline. Obviously if you add "heavy" effects you need to render before playback. Where are your .m2ts files from?
              • 4. Re: PE7  AVCHD slow and  .mt2s files don't show preview icon
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                In my experience, version 7 is much more stable -- but it requires a bit more RAM.

I was using 1 gig of RAM with previous versions, but with version 7 I found the program was constantly paging to virtual memory and showing memory usages of about 1.25 gig.

Running with between 1 1/2 gig to 2 gigs of RAM would make a big performance difference with XP. With Vista, I'd recommend between 3 and 4 gigs.

And, of course, optimizing Vista for video editing, per the FAQs at the top of this forum, is essential!
                • 5. Re: PE7  AVCHD slow and  .mt2s files don't show preview icon
                  Ozpeter Level 1
                  > In my experience, version 7 is much more stable

I've had a few problems in my first day or so with it, but I'm starting to suspect that it's related to my dual monitor setup, one of which monitors is shared with a second PC via a KVM switch (and MaxiVista keyboard/mouse sharing software). If I mess with that stuff, then I get hangs or crashes. If I leave well alone, no problems.

Moral - don't be provocative to your PC!
                  • 6. Re: PE7  AVCHD slow and  .mt2s files don't show preview icon
                    Level 1
                    Thanks for the posts and sorry for not providing enough specifics.

Running Vista Ultimate on Dell XPS 420 that came with PE4 installed. It has Intel Core2 processorQ6600 (2.40Ghz,1066FSB) w/QuadCore Technology and 8MB cache, 4GB RAM at 800MHz, 350 Gig free on the HD and a GeForce 8800 GT video card - certainly a system that should handle video editing more advance that what I do. My AVCHD files are capture with a Sony HD-SR11.

1) On non AVCHD files PE7 works just the same as PE4 did - no complaints. Playing the files in the timeline was realtime - even if I added transitions and other effects it was never anything less than a clean/smooth playback. Sliding the Current Time Indicator produced a smooth fast-forard/reverse relocation to the frame of choice. PE7 still works this way on my .mpg files.

2) Also, PE4 as now in PE7, when I go to Get Media the Add Media window opens showing a list of icons for the available clips. If I navigate to a directory of .mpg files the icon image is a cached image of the first frame of the clip making it easy to see which clip you will open.

The problems I have are:

1) With PE7 (on my .mt2s files only), playing back a file in the preview window or even from the timeline - and I mean even just a short file with no added effects - plays back very choppy with sound cutting in/out. Even sliding the current time indicator is so bad that you cannot efficiently position your clip at the desired frame w/o going frame by frame with the single frame button.

2) Viewing available .mt2s files, as described above, in PE7 - each file's icon is just a white square - no way to tell what the clip is without opening it and previewing - unless you were to name every clip.

After a clip is pulled into the timeline - if you wait several minutes then play it it is a little better (obviously it caches the video), but still not acceptable. I have defragged the HD, and there are no other programs running. This is a clean machine used only for this purpose and email - no other junk or gaming on it.

The .mt2s clips play back perfectly in the Sony provided application.
                    • 7. Re: PE7  AVCHD slow and  .mt2s files don't show preview icon
                      Level 1
                      One other bit of info - when i open the task manager while the video is playing all 4 CPU graphs are at about 50% and the memory is showing 2.3GB of the 4GB available is being used.
                      • 8. Re: PE7  AVCHD slow and  .mt2s files don't show preview icon
                        Level 1
                        Breakthrough on the first issue! I exited out of the Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 14 and voila! The clips now play smooth like PE4 - sliding the current time indicator is still more jerky than I remember in PE4 but acceptable and the audio still cuts in/out. Now I have to figure out how to tell Trend not to process .mt2s files so I can leave it running while editing.

Still have issues with icons.
                        • 9. Re: PE7  AVCHD slow and  .mt2s files don't show preview icon
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                          You may want to try a different anti-virus program, p.

Some (Norton, for instance) are too aggressive. Perhaps PC-Cillin is also.

Avast Antivirus is excellent and very non-intrusive -- and the home edition is absolutely free!

You can pick it up, as well as a couple other excellent free tools, here:
                          http://www.savemybutt.com/index.php/downloads.html
                          • 10. Re: PE7  AVCHD slow and  .mt2s files don't show preview icon
                            Level 1
                            As it turns out the antivirus has nothing to do with it. Completely uninstalling has no effect on smooth play of .m2ts files. What does make them play smoothly is playing them through once ... the second time they play much smoother. Is there a setting having to do with caching the clip that defaults differently in PE7 than PE4 - or maybe should be changed for working with AVCHD files?
                            • 11. Re: PE7  AVCHD slow and  .mt2s files don't show preview icon
                              Level 1
                              Thanks for the link - i did run the latency checker and all was okay - even while playing the clip that was stuttering ... i was getting good readings. Thanks.
                              • 12. Re: PE7  AVCHD slow and  .mt2s files don't show preview icon
                                Paul_LS Level 4
                                I suppose you could always render the clips on the timeline... but you shouldn't need to with a quad core. As I said with my dual core 2.4GHz I can play CX6 1440x1080 AVCHD clips smoothly... 1920x1080 files from the SR10 start to stutter slightly. However on my quad core they play just fine.