5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2008 7:39 AM by Steve Grisetti

Can't burn to a DVD folder or DVD

I Premiere elements 4, yesterday I was able to burn a DVD folder but not a dvd of a video which was 5 minutes long. It took awhile because premiere kept giving me an error like "Adobe premiere elements has encountered a problem and needs to close". A couple hours later I wanted to burn another video I made to a dvd folder which is 23 minutes long, but I encountered the same problem: "Adobe premiere elements has encountered a problem and needs to close". I have been trying for two days to burn a DVD folder an/or a dvd of this video. And I tried http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402373 , accept re-installing premiere.

I have windows xp home edition sp2(desktop computer)
      my hard drives are partion: C: 33GB/10GB, D: 40GB, E: 35GB
      my quicktime is updated
      And all of the video files are in dv-avi
        • 1. Re: Can't burn to a DVD folder or DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Try the Burn DVD workaround listed in the FAQs at the top of this forum.

As you break down the process into individual steps, it should become clear where and why the failure is happening.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b5f52c

Most likely, if you can burn a folder but not directly to a DVD, it is because other DVD burning software (such as Nero) is monopolizing the access to your DVD burner. This is very common.
          • 2. Re: Can't burn to a DVD folder or DVD
            Level 1
            I was able to burn a 15 seconds video to a folder successfully but, right after that premiere elements 4 crash again with the same error that its "...needs to close".
            • 3. Re: Can't burn to a DVD folder or DVD
              One likely problem is all that partitioning of your hard drive.

With DV editing requiring huge chunks of free, defragmented hard drive space (I recommend never editing on a drive with less than 50 gigs of free space) cutting your drive into 30 or 40 gig areas would seem counter productive.

Why is your drive partitioned, moon? And how many drives are we looking at?

Remember, your C drive needs a good 20-30 gigs of free space just to allow for operating system paging. If you're editing to a second drive, you should allow 50 gigs of free space for every hour of video you're editing, and never less than 20.

I have a 160 gig C drive with about 50 gigs free and I edit my video to a 500 gig drive with only a fraction of it in use.

What are the rest of your computer specs? How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have? With such a small hard drive, it could be that you're just way too underpowered for video editing.
              • 4. Re: Can't burn to a DVD folder or DVD
                Level 1
                I have a pentium 4 2.00GHz,and 1GB of ram. I have two hard drives one for drives C: and D: and another E: and (F:recovery). My computer is 7 years old but an still works. The computer was bought at an electronic store and they partition the pc. I didn't know to much about computers back then as I do now. I do have a 500GB external hard drive that I use for backups, But anytime I try to change where the burn folder goes the program closes. Would it be a good idea to either upgrade my hard drive to 160GB+ or just buy a pc?
                • 5. Re: Can't burn to a DVD folder or DVD
                  I think you'll be very frustrated trying to edit video on that computer, moon. It won't be impossible to do it -- but it's way at the lower end of the system requirements and I think you're going to be dealing with constant headaches as the machine either lugs with effort or lets you down completely.

So, yes. I'd recommend you wait until you have a more current machine before you try to edit with Premiere Elements.

Here are our recommendations:
                  http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b699a8/2

You may find that Windows MovieMaker, a free program included on your machine, can work within your specs. It's a relatively low end video editor, but it also requires much less of your system.