8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2008 1:13 PM by the_wine_snob

Multithreading with PE3

Hi all,

So I'm compressing a video with Quicktime compression in PE3... but it's only using 1 of my 4 available processors... and says it will be taking it's own sweet time to complete my little vid.

Is it possible to get multithreading in Premiere Elements? Is it available in anything like Premiere Pro? any of the Adobe xxxxxxxx-extendeds?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Multithreading with PE3
          Level 1
          I searched 'multithreading' and multiprocessor' but nothing came up... so sorry if this has been discussed before - I've done my due diligence.
          • 2. Re: Multithreading with PE3
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            Premiere Elements is a 32-bit program. It's also likely you're working on a 32-bit operating system.

You probably won't be able to take advantage of all four processors.
            • 3. Re: Multithreading with PE3
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              I have 2 xeons with HT and all 'four' go to work when PE3 starts rendering.
              • 4. Re: Multithreading with PE3
                Level 1
                I'm using Premiere Elements 3 on a quad core system and I see all four cores
                being utilized when I render to DVD. But, that's not Quicktime. Individual
                encoders may or may not be multithreaded. Perhaps the Quicktime encoder is
                not.

Whether the system or application is 32 bit or not has nothing to do with
                whether an application can be multithreaded.
                • 5. Re: Multithreading with PE3
                  Level 1
                  Thank you, folks! Must be that the encoder itself needs to be multithreaded?

that's weak.

and, umm... My 32 bit system has been rendering on all 4 threads for years... too bad Adobe's products do not take advantage of it, on Pshop filters, or most things it appears adobe products do not multithread well. Dual cores are the new standard machine now... so hopefully new Adobe products will learn how to use them.
                  • 6. Re: Multithreading with PE3
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Shane,

The one downside to taking more advantage of newer processors is that often the folk on older machines will be shut out and scream. This happened with the SSE2 instruction set. Older AMD's were out of the game and their owners DID scream. Probably the same will happen with SSE4. From a marketing standpont, the user-base must be considered, before the coders are turned loose.

Yes, it would be nice if we all could have the latest hardware and OS's, and all of our programs would automatically update to use the additional power. Unfortunately, this cannot happen in the real world.

Now when I encode and Export from P-Pro, all four processors are put to use on my laptop. I do not get all 8 on my workstation, but then I'm probably not stressing it with Projects big enough to use them all. I do not know how PE uses the processors on the laptop, as I usually do the "heavy lifting" from Pro.

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Multithreading with PE3
                      Level 1
                      > when I encode and Export from P-Pro,

what compression are you using that capitalizes on your quad? I have premier pro at work, and doesn't always seem to multithread either...

The other argument you make above is weak... I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just saying if we follow that argument we could just not improve/progress at all... no offense, but it's just not logical to me.
                      • 8. Re: Multithreading with PE3
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Shane,

In almost all of my instances, I am Exporting as DV-AVI as an elemental stream, i.e. no Audio. I then Export the Audio as AC3 DD 5.1 SS with the Minnetonka SurCode plug-in. In Task Manager, I get all four cores lit up. Number 1 and 2 are about equal at around 50% and #3 will be not far behind. Usually, #4 will be down from the rest, at say 20%. This is on an XP-Pro SP3 box with 4GB RAM (3GB switch). I have my Page File static and set to 8GB, spread over two physical HDDs.

In general, these Exports are from 20 mins. to well over 2 hours runtime and are out of PP2.

Don't know that any of my setting really make a difference, but wanted to add them to the thread, just in case. Also, I have all background tasks killed, though may well have a big handful of Adobe programs, like PS, AE, AI and Bridge open, though minimized. For burning from Encore, I shut down eveything, except Encore.

Good luck,

Hunt