23 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2011 1:43 PM by the_wine_snob

Premier Elements has encountered an error...

Level 1
      While working on project using Premier Elements 7.0 with Vista Ultimate OS, I get following error:
      "Premier Elements has encountered an error: [..\..\Src\Markers\Markers.cpp-187]"
      Please can anyone tell me how to fix this error?
        • 1. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          There are any number of possibilities:

1) You don't have enough free, defragmented hard drive space

2) You're using video with a challenging codec

3) You're using photos larger than 1000x750 pixels in size

4) You haven't upgraded to Vista SP1 and loaded the latest firmware, RealTek audio drivers and Quicktime.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c057647

5) You haven't optimized Vista for editing video
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7
          • 2. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
            Level 1
            Can you explain when this error is displaying while editing launching new project or creating new dvd template marker.
            • 3. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
              As I said above, there are a number of reasons, including what operating system you're using and if it's optimized, and how much RAM and free hard drive space you have.

And, assuming everything I've recommended is okay, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the program. It may be just a bad installation.

But most likely it's related to system resources or outdated firmware or drivers.
              • 4. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                Level 1
                ookken,
                I have 2GB RAM with my Athlon 64 3400+ processor computer, recently defragged hard disk with over 30GB free.
                I have created a project with several mp4 clips, and the error occurs when I select the clip in Timeline, then select 'Clip' on the menu, then 'Audio'...then the error appears.
                I am trying to normalize the audio on the various clips, as some are loud and others are too soft.
                • 5. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                  Are you running Vista? Did you update all your firmware, per my posts above, and optimize the operating system?

It's likely that 30 gig is too little space to work with a project of any size, since the program needs considerable scratch disk space to handle AVCHD and, particularly if you are editing on your C drive, it is constantly being fragmented and paged to by the operating system.

How long is the AVCHD video you downloaded to your Premiere Elements project?

Did you capture it with the Premiere Elements downloader or with another program?
                  • 6. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                    Level 1
                    grisetti,
                    I am running Vista Ultimate sp1, and have done the optimizations. I have a Vista rating of 4.0. My C: drive is actually 44GB, but I have a separate disk for my D: drive that is considerably bigger at 120GB free. I am using a Nvidia 6800 GT video card with latest drivers. Also, I am using clips captured from YouTube using website KeepVid.com which converts them to mp4 files. All is well in assemblying these clips until I attempt to normalize the audio across the few clips I have imported into Premier Elements. As I stated above, as soon as I select 'Clip' on the menu, I get the error.
                    Perhaps I should try using the D: drive for the project?
                    • 7. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                      That definitely would be wise.

And, with relatively little space on your C drive, it would be wise to regularly clean and defragment it, per our FAQs. Even a few hundred meg of TMP files will keep you from editing a highly compress, hi-def file.
                      http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a

Wisest move, though, would be to convert those files to DV-AVIs rather than MPEG4s. Since you're not dealing with true hi-def footage, there's no point in taxing your resources with the unnecessary work of dealing with that less than ideal codec.
                      • 8. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                        Level 1
                        I will convert these mp4 files to avi, and try again. Hopefully I can use Nero 8 for this task.
                        • 9. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                          Level 1
                          I used Aimersoft Video Converter to make the AVI file from the MP4 clip, and this apparently resolved the error.
                          Thanks again.
                          • 10. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                            Great news, Robb! Happy moviemaking!
                            • 11. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                              marsham3 Level 1

I am encountering the exact same error when I attempt to click on Clip so that I can normalize the audio.  In my case, I am using .wmv files.  I tried converting them to .avi files using Amerisoft (as the previous person did), but when I tried to import the .avi files (get media), I got an error message saying that it was not a supported file, or the codec was not installed.  I suspect that I have performance issues, and would like some clarification on some of the items you mention above.  When I click on the links you included above for more detail, it takes me to a generic page.  Here are my system specs:

• Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0
                              • HP Pavilion dv6 notebook with Windows Vista Home Premium sp2.
                              • 27 GB of free disk space -- I suspect this is an issue or one of the issues
                              • 3 GB RAM
                              • Performance score 3.3 due to lowest subscore - Graphics - Desktop Performance for Windows Aero

Next Steps:

• I just disabled several programs on startup, but probably can do more.  I'm not sure what is needed and what isn't. Do you have info on this?
                              • disk was defragmented 2 days ago but I will attempt to defrag again  since I just deleted about 7 GB of temp files and recycle bin.
                              • I suspect the graphics performance score is an issue, but I do not know what Windows Aero means, or how to improve it.
                              • You mentioned optimizing Vista for editing video.  How do I do this? 
                              • You mentioned getting the latest firmware for Vista.  How do I do this?  (It was recently updated to sp2, about a month or 2 ago.)
                              • You mentioned having the latest Realtek Audio Drivers and Quicktime.  Do you have more info about this?
                              • Is there a way to install the codec for the .avi files? 
                              • Do you have suggestions for the amount of free disk space?  I recently purchased a 400 GB HP hard drive, but was hoping to be able to finish this current project before trying to replace my current hard drive.  I also have 1 TB external hard drive.  I realize I could move some files to this external hard drive.  If I move my project file to the external drive will that make a difference?
                              • You mentioned that photos should be 1000 x 750.  I had resized my photos to the default size for "large" - 1024 x 768.  Is this close enough or does it really need to be 1000 x 750?

My project is about 25 minutes in length -- mostly photos, with some video that does not have sound.  It should be noted that when I added the 2 recent .wmv files with sound, I was able to normalize the audio on the first one just fine.  It was when i added the second one that the problems started.  I suspect that I finally reached a "breaking point".

I would appreciate any insights that you can offer on the above.

Marsha

• 12. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...

Marsha, please follow the advice we gave the original poster -- particularly with regard to photo size.

Also note that there are hundreds of varieties of AVIs so, unless your video came from a miniDV camcorder, it's likely they are using an incompatible codec.

Resize your photos and then start a new thread to discuss where your AVIs came from. We'll likely have advice in the best ways to convert those files to a compatible format/codec.

• 13. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Marsha,

It is likely that your convertion program was set to use either a CODEC that is contained within the converter (some include their own CODEC's and do not use the ones installed on the system), or a CODEC, that PrE cannot use. The suggestion to convert to DV-AVI Type II files, is a great one, as DV-AVI Type II is a very specific flavor of AVI and will edit well. As AVI is but a wrapper, it can contain many different specifications. This ARTICLE will go into more detail. It also will tell you how to "peek inside the wrapper," to see what the CODEC is.

This ARTICLE will give you background on large still images, and how to Scale them for Import and use in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                                    marsham3 Level 1

Thanks for your help.  I would have converted my .wmv files to DV-AVI, except that I did not see that as an option in the Aimersoft converter.  How can I convert them to this format?  Hunt, I read your article on codec, and I read about GSPOT, but I still don't know how to convert .wmv files to dv-avi type II. Can I do this within GSPOT?

I also read your article on resizing photos, and I'm sorry to say, I got totally lost.  Is there really a significant difference between photos that are 1024x768 (as most of mine are), and 1000x750?

Steve, as I said in my post, I need some more info to follow your advice, as the links didn't work for me.

I really appreciate the help from both of you.  I am not a genius on the nuts and bolts of video editing, so I appreciate you "dumbing it down" a little bit for me.

Marsha

• 15. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                                      nealeh Level 5

In the pro version of Aimersoft the option can be found in Common Video.

1.png

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale
                                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 16. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                                        marsham3 Level 1

Thanks.  I have Aimersoft Ultimate.  But when I look at your screen shot, it looks the same as mine.  I see a DV option and an AVI option.  I do not see a DV-AVI option.  I tried both the DV and the AVI options - neither one worked.

Marsha

• 17. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Marsha,

I read about GSPOT, but I still don't know how to convert .wmv files to dv-avi type II. Can I do this within GSPOT?

Both G-Spot and MediaInfo are file info utilities, and are not converters. They can furnish a bit of info, regarding installed CODEC's on the system, but that is about the only other function, besides the file info, that they perform.

I also read your article on resizing photos, and I'm sorry to say, I got totally lost.  Is there really a significant difference between photos that are 1024x768 (as most of mine are), and 1000x750?

There is very little difference in the dimensions that you cite. There is very little internal Scaling required (though I do Scale in PS to exactly what I need), and the extra pixels that are being handled are minimal, and until one got into the 1000's of such images, there should be zero noticeable slowdown. I think that we can safely rule out overly-large stills, as a contributing factor here.

It appears that Neale has posted some instructions for your conversion program. I hope that they solve all the issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                                            marsham3 Level 1

Thanks for all your help.  I solved my problem, at least for now.  I used Adobe PRE to do the conversion.  I was able to edit each .wmv file in a project all by itself, normalize the audio, and then save it to a dv-avi file. 

(It's interesting that the dv-avi file created by Adobe PRE was much

larger than the original .wmv file -- it went from 18 mb to 66 mb).   I then imported the dv-avi files into my project.  I still get the error if I try to click on Clip for those 2 clips, even as dv-avi files.  So I suspect that I am still having some space or memory issues.  But I no longer need to edit them, since I already normalized the audio.  So hopefully I will be able to create the final DVD for the project when it is time to do that.  Hopefully it will not give me further errors. 

Steve mentioned optimizing Vista for video editing.  I would still like to know how to do that.  I often get the message "Adobe Premiere Elements is running low on system memory.  Please save what you are doing and proceed with caution."  And then I have to close the program and open it again.  So I suspect there are some things I could do to improve my editing experience, besides acquiring more disk space.  If you can give me some specific info about that, I would appreciate it.

Marsha

Marsha Moskowitz

email: moskomarsh@msn.com

CafePress Shop: www.cafepress.com/mmphotography

Theater-Film-Dining Blog: www.marshamosk.com/blog

Photo Gallery: www.marshamosk.com/photogallery

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:16:30 -0600

To: moskomarsh@msn.com

Subject: Premier Elements has encountered an error...

Marsha,

I read about GSPOT, but I still don't know how to convert .wmv files to dv-avi type II. Can I do this within GSPOT?

Both G-Spot and MediaInfo are file info utilities, and are not converters. They can furnish a bit of info, regarding installed CODEC's on the system, but that is about the only other function, besides the file info, that they perform.

There is very little difference in the dimensions that you cite. There is very little internal Scaling required (though I do Scale in PS to exactly what I need), and the extra pixels that are being handled are minimal, and until one got into the 1000's of such images, there should be zero noticeable slowdown. I think that we can safely rule out overly-large stills, as a contributing factor here.

It appears that Neale has posted some instructions for your conversion program. I hope that they solve all the issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 19. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

(It's interesting that the dv-avi file created by Adobe PRE was much larger than the original .wmv file -- it went from 18 mb to 66 mb).

This is to be expected, as WMV is a very heavily-compressed format/CODEC, designed for the delivery of streaming AV material. DV-AVI material is lightly compressed, and is designed to be edited.

There are some useful links in this ARTICLE on memory and resources.

Here is an older ARTICLE by Harm Millaard, the PrPro hardware guru, on setting up Vista.

Good luck, and hope those articles and their links will help.

Hunt

• 20. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                                                marsham3 Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for the help.  I have a 32 bit OS.

Marsha

• 21. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Most of the tune up tips apply to Vista 32-bit, as well.

I do not recall if Steve linked to this FAQ Entry, but it has some tips too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                                                    marsham3 Level 1

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for!  I think Steve put a link to it in his original post, but I couldn't access the link.  I think the steps outlined in that article will help a lot.  As I said in one of my earlier posts, I got a low performance score because of Windows Aero, but I didn't know what it was or how to change it.  Reading Steve's article clears that up!

• 23. Re: Premier Elements has encountered an error...
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great, and glad that the link worked. The forum has been experiencing major problems over the last several days, so many linked articles were just not accessible.

Glad that it helped, and happy editing.

Hunt