10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2008 11:01 PM by Robert J. Johnston

Need HELP figuring out what is on my timeline that I can not get rid of.

Hello,

I was helping my sister make a DVD using Premiere Elements 3.0, somehow while she was using it she got this horizontal bar on the timeline. I have a picture, because I can't figure out how to describe it, or come up with a name for it, so I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Wouldn't be a big deal, but the program shuts down whenever I hit "burn dvd" and I'm wondering if this is the problem. I can move the bar around, and lengthen or shorten it. Also, however long it is, is the length it shows on the monitor portion of the elements screen for the video.

Here's the picture, I put a pink arrow to point to what I'm referring to.
      [url=http://www.dropshots.com/spena#date/2008-10-08/14:09:19][img]http://media3.dropshots. com/photos/161926/20081008/140919.jpg[/img][/url]

Not sure if that will work, so here is a link to the picture also:
      http://www.dropshots.com/spena#date/2008-10-08/14:09:19

This is probably (hopefully) something simple and silly... I've been Premiere Elements for 2 years now, just figuring it out as I go along, so I don't know much.

Thanks for any and all help!
      Melissa
        • 1. Re: Need HELP figuring out what is on my timeline that I can not get rid of.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          You've actually got several horizontal lines on your timeline, Melissa.

Here's what they all are:

1. The horizontal yellow line through your audio track is your audio level

2. The horizontal yellow line through your video track is the video's opacity.

3. The thick gray bar across the top of your timeline is your Work Area Bar. You use it to designate a portion of your timeline for outputting, rendering, etc.

This is likely the one you're referring to. If you want to make it the same length as your project, press the \ key to show your whole timeline and then double-click on the Work Area Bar.

4. Finally, there's a red line at the top of your timeline, running the length of your timeline.

Although this isn't likely the line you were asking about, it's probably an indicator of why your project is jamming when you try to create a DVD.

After you've lengthened your Work Area Bar to cover your whole project, press the Enter key. This will tell the program to render all of your non-AVI video as an AVI.

If this works, we can usually get your DVD to burn.

If this fails, you've got other issues (such as a lack of space on your hard drive) that will need to be addressed.
          • 2. Re: Need HELP figuring out what is on my timeline that I can not get rid of.
            Paul_LS Level 4
            It is none of those Steve, if you look at the image file. Strange.
            • 3. Re: Need HELP figuring out what is on my timeline that I can not get rid of.
              You're right, Paul!

Still, my advice is good advice... whatever is making that weird thing.
              • 4. Re: Need HELP figuring out what is on my timeline that I can not get rid of.
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I was going to comment that it was not the WAB, but then noticed something about it. Yes, it is not the WAB that I know from Pro, or from PE4, and Melissa has PE3. I do not know what the WAB looked like in PE3. If you look closely, there are several small vertical lines, right in the middle of this gray, indented area. These correspond to the center of a WAB. I wonder if clicking on those would expand this area to the length of the Timeline. This is also *about* where the WAB should be, though higher. I'm wondering if the video card is having problems with displaying the WAB properly and this is the best it can do.

Melissa,

Can you give us the specs. on your computer, especially the video card and video driver dates?

Also, what does this area show in the Monitor, when you move the CRT over it? Does the Clip(s) show properly there? How does this area play? Does clicking on the little vertical bars in the center of this area do anything? Try double-clicking also. Can you move either end by clicking and dragging? Does the rest of your Timeline play smoothly?

Sorry for all of the questions,

Hunt

[Edit] There could be other reasons for the program shutting down and this anomoly might have nothing to do with that.
                • 5. Re: Need HELP figuring out what is on my timeline that I can not get rid of.
                  Level 1
                  Hello everyone,

thanks so much for all the help. Well, in the end, the problem I came to this board for was not a problem at all. I now have a fully functioning DVD. I was having a problem with 3ivx, and then the problem someone else mentioned about needing to render the project. Question about that, all my previous videos have been done with footage from my miniDV cam that I would upload directly into Elements. My sister's came from a hard drive cam, is that why I needed to render it?

I still have no idea what that bar is, to answer your questions, Hunt, the area plays normally and can be moved by clicking the vertical bars you mentioned and it can be lengthened/shorted. Double-clicking does nothing and right clicking just brings up the timeline options of adding markers and such.

I don't believe it's the work area bar, when I noticed it I started with looking through the help index on my program and the work area bar they mentioned and pictured did not look like that. Also, I've created half a dozen or so hour long videos, as well as working on lots of short few minute ones for the internet and it's never shown up on any of those. It's still a mystery to me, just glad it didn't hurt anything and it brought me here to help figure out my real problem!

Thanks so much for all the help everyone!

Melissa
                  • 6. Re: Need HELP figuring out what is on my timeline that I can not get rid of.
                    Yes, Melissa. I'm sure that's exactly the issue.

Premiere Elements very likely was choking on the 3ivx codec.

The program definitely works best with tape-based camcorders, although it can also work somewhat successfully with MPEG-based camcorders and, in version 7, AVCHD cams.

But 3ivx is such an unusual codec that I'm surprised the program could work with it at all!

So I'm glad my solution worked for you.

Happy moviemaking!
                    • 7. Re: Need HELP figuring out what is on my timeline that I can not get rid of.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Melissa,

The reason that I mentioned the video card's render is that I do not see a conventional WAB on your Timeline Ruler. Maybe I'm just missing it on the screencap you provided (thank you, BTW).

Regardless, I'm glad that you got the DVD burned, and that it plays fine. That is most important.

Do check out your video card (and also your mouse driver*), as something is happening to the WAB.

* I know that it sounds odd, but MS InteliPoint mouse drivers do really strange things with the various Adobe GUI's. I have not seen this one, but have seen many strange display problems. Most folk have had great luck with the generic mouse drivers and just scrap the InteliPoint drivers.

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: Need HELP figuring out what is on my timeline that I can not get rid of.
                        Level 1
                        I don't really know what I'm talking about, but, here is what it says on my computer:
                        RADEON X600 256 MB HyperMemory
                        RADEON X600 256 MB HyperMemory Secondary

The work area bar on my picture is the slightly darker gray line above the red line and below the lighter gray area with the time markings.

Oh, I don't know what mouse driver we have.

thanks for all the help,
                        Melissa
                        • 9. Re: Need HELP figuring out what is on my timeline that I can not get rid of.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Melissa,

Yes, I now see the WAB area. Because of the horizontal tightness of the screen cap, I missed this.

I do not have any experience with the RADEON X600, but maybe someone else knows it. My first thought would be a display driver issue with the video card. You can find out what drivers you have by following the links below. Just substitute Display Adapters for Human Interface Devices. You might go to the ATI site and see if they offer a newer driver for your video card. These get out of date in a hurry.

As for the mouse driver there are two ways to check this out:

1.) Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Human Interface Devices>[Name of mouse and connection] Mouse Optical (if it is Optical)>Driver>Driver File Details. There, you will see all drviers associated with your mouse.

2.) From the My Computer setting, search for Intelli* in Files & Folders. This will find all instances of the IntelliPoint driver. If you have it installed, then go back and do #1 above to check to see if it is in use.

Now, all of the GUI display problems I've read of in a myriad of Adobe programs have been different, than yours. That idea is but a shot in the dark. Now, with Adobe and display issues, I normally think of Intellipoint mouse drivers. You might try changing drivers to the stock MS Windows\System32 drivers and see what happens. You might loose a touch of functionality of a multi-button/tilt-wheel mouse, if you have one, but it *might* take care of GUI issues.

I've been hoping that someone else would chime in with "hey, that's just the xxx, don't you recognize it?" So far, no one has.

Hunt
                          • 10. Re: Need HELP figuring out what is on my timeline that I can not get rid of.
                            Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                            That bar is the In/Out bar. I never could find any documentation on that.

When the properties panel has the focus, you can press "I" to set the in point and "O" to set the out point. Of course before doing that you position the CTI on the timeline. Then you click somewhere on the properties panel to give the properties panel the focus. It's really strange that the properties panel has to have the focus since it's the timeline that has that bar. There is a key to clear the bar, but I forget what it is. You'll have to look in Keyboard Customizations under the Edit menu. There are also keys you can use to play the timeline from the In point to the Out point and other things. Don't confuse with the WAB.