6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2008 10:19 PM by (Bernadette_Joolen)

Archiving a Project  Doesn't  Seem to Bring Video Clips Over!!

Oh help!! I have tried to archive 2 projects now... When I go into premiere, everything is there, present and accounted for, no files offline. I select Archive and within a minute, it's done the deed, and nicely brought everything to a new Trimmed file, it seems--but the video clips!!

So I tried to bring copies of those over manually, brought up the trimmed adobe version, hooked up the files, and tried to play my video, but it doesn't seem to hook them in right, and plays COMPLETELY untrimmed clips.

Well, I shouldn't have to do that anyway, right?
      So what do I do??!!
      Will I have to manually archive everything?
      If so, which adobe files can I delete, of all of these...

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files
      Encoded Files
      Media Cache Files
      Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save...

Thank you, anyone, for saving me!!
      I have a maxxed-out drive and need to clean things up a bit.
      IS the archive function supposed to work, or are there bugs??

Gratefully yours, bernadette...
        • 1. Re: Archiving a Project  Doesn't  Seem to Bring Video Clips Over!!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          I've never heard of a problem with the Project Archive feature, Bernadette.

Which version of the program are you using?

When you open your project on your new drive, does it ask you to find the linked video? Once you re-link one file, the program should see all the rest and re-link them for you.

Or are you saying that none of the video files are moving to the new drive at all? Browse your drive with Windows Explorer and see.

It could well be that video came over but the links just got lost.
          • 2. Re: Archiving a Project  Doesn't  Seem to Bring Video Clips Over!!
            Level 1
            Thank you for taking the time to reply to my SOS, Steve...
            Yes, it was that none of the video files were moving over, (I am using PE4). But after a two-hour session on the phone with the tech people in portland, we discovered why...

I just take videos with a silly tiny cheap coolpix camera that produces .MOV files, which adobe handles nicely--EXCEPT in the archive function. For some reason that function won't pick up those. My tech guy wasn't sure why, but thought it was something to do with the codex. So he said next time, convert my files to .AVI before I start working with them in adobe.

Okay, so I guess I learn something new every day...
            Whether I want to or not!

Thanks again for your reply!
            Bernadette
            • 3. Re: Archiving a Project  Doesn't  Seem to Bring Video Clips Over!!
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              Thanks for reporting back, Bernadette. Today I learned something too!

Glad you're up and running again.
              • 4. Re: Archiving a Project  Doesn't  Seem to Bring Video Clips Over!!
                A.T. Romano Level 7
                Bernadette

I only today saw your post. My short coming is that I am a very curious person. Although everyone seems content with the bottom line, I wonder about all this.

First, as far as I know Nikon Coolpix movies are QuickTime Movie Format with a .mov file extension. Your specific camera may be different, but.....?

I have imported video (Quicktime with .mov file extension) into Premiere Elements 4, gone to File Menu/Project Archiver/ and used the Archive option to get the "Trimmed file" which contents a .prel file for the project and copies of the media used for the Timeline in that project. No problem.

Does your computer setup meet all the requirements for Premiere Elements 4? Do you have the latest version of Quicktime installed on your computer? Exactly what codec does your Tech person think is missing?

Converting your .mov to DV AVI sounds like a reasonable workaround. How do you plan on doing that, File Menu/Export/Movie? But, it is not clear why you need the workaround.

If this workaround does not work, then we all need to talk further about your setup and rethink the issue.
                • 5. Re: Archiving a Project  Doesn't  Seem to Bring Video Clips Over!!
                  A.T. Romano Level 7
                  Bernadette,

About your max out drive....

After you clean it up
                  ccleaner
                  enough available RAM
                  enough free hard drive space
                  defragmentation
                  do not have any unnecessary programs running in the background when using Premiere Elements 4
                  remove unnecessary files from the computer, delete or move to an external hard drive format NTFS, not FAT32
                  etc.

Try the Project Archiver/Archive option again before you do anything else.
                  • 6. Re: Archiving a Project  Doesn't  Seem to Bring Video Clips Over!!
                    Level 1
                    Thank you for all your tips, AT. I will print them out and investigate some of the things you suggest!

Yes, my camera produces .mov files. In our testing, the tech guy had me setup a separate user area and turn off all background programs, just as you recommend. The test to archive a project with some stock adobe files that were .AVI--the little dolphin training video-- worked, but yet again, mine didn't! (How interesting that yours worked!)

He said uncompressed AVI files are the best for editing exactly because they are uncompressed, meaning no codec, and that with .MOV files the codec could be getting in the way of the archiving. (Since archiving is dealing with trimmed clips.) Also that for editing with .MOV files, the results are just more inconsistent, if for example, your edits occur at the "I" frame (that indexes the others). And there my knowledge may be a little fuzzy, but I think I got that right!

Well, I will study this all a bit more before my NEXT project! (Yes, I thought I would try to start with an AVI file next time. Convert my .MOV files with Export even before I begin.) But I may be on this forum again!

Thanks again for your suggestions and interest!
                    Cheers, bernadette...