4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2008 1:30 AM by (editmachine)

PE7... Should I Upgrade from PE3

Ed.Macke Level 3
      I know and love my current PE, but am considering upgrading to PE7. I thought I might have V4, but now that I think about it I might only have V3. I'm a work, so I can't check.

A recent post that PE7 was having problems opening PE3 PREL files gives me pause, but then I think that maybe postponing upgrading would only make that problem worse, I suppose, unless I *never* upgraded.

Beyond that, here's some specific issues I'm having with PE3/4? that I'm wondering have been addressed/improved in PE7.

* The titling still seems a little simplistic. Seems like anything beyond simple text is a fight. Scrolling/animation seems a little kludgy; no superscript/subscript; no text background color (to do light text on a light video, for instance); that kind of thing.

* Do they have keyframed time stretching yet? For example, the beginning of a clip is normal speed, at keyframe1 it gradually slows down until keyframe2, where it reaches 50% speed.

* Ability to copy and paste between projects. For example, I have a standard text clip (e.g. 3 seconds long, fade in/out) that I want to use for multiple projects.

* DVD menu-ing works, but seems a little primitive and flaky (e.g. video clip doesn't always play in preview mode).

Just wondering if anybody's noticed any improvements in these areas, as well as what the general consensus is on PE7... nice upgrade? Stable/unstable?
        • 1. Re: PE7... Should I Upgrade from PE3
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          I'm not sure how to respond to subjective issues like "simplistic" and "flakey", Ed. One man's flaky is another man's key feature. But no major changes have been made in the features you're asking about.

No, there's no copy and paste between projects.

And, yes, you can change the speed of a motion path using Bezier curves and other spatial interpolations -- but you've been able to do that with version 1, as my article explains.
          http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/source/steve/steve_tips_03-06.htm

But there are some nice new features in version 7. And, if they're of value to you, they'd be the main reason to upgrade.

Our FAQs at the top of the forum offer details.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b699b0/4
          • 2. Re: PE7... Should I Upgrade from PE3
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            I'm not sure how to respond to subjective issues like "simplistic" and "flakey", Ed. One man's flaky is another man's key feature. But no major changes have been made in the features you're asking about.

No, there's no copy and paste between projects.

And, no, you can't vary time stretch over the course of a clip. You can manually -- but not without some effort, and not as a feature in the program.

But there are some nice new features in version 7. And, if they're of value to you, they'd be the main reason to upgrade.

Our FAQs at the top of the forum offer details.
            http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b699b0/4
            • 3. Re: PE7... Should I Upgrade from PE3
              Ed.Macke Level 3
              Thanks, Steve.

Yes, I guess my terms are a bit vague. :)

Simplistic titling = only basic features (font, bold, alignment). No superscript, hanging indents, text box borders and shading, that kind of thing.

And by flakey, I meant sometimes unstable. Luckily, the menus always seem to work on the actual DVD, it's just the preview within APE.

In any event, thanks... you have answered my basic question which was whether there were any big leaps in the areas I've had issues with. Thanks, too, for the links to muvipix's new features info... the Organizer looks like a great addition.
              • 4. Re: PE7... Should I Upgrade from PE3
                Level 1
                Hi Ed Macke,

* Title is much more stable in 7 (as compared to 3), there are some TItle animations that are added.

* keyframed time stretching is not possible in 7, but as Steve said, it is not impossible to do it either.

* Copy paste between projects is not supported in 7. But you can definately use the Export Presets feature to do the operation that you mentioned here.

* DVD is also much more stable as compared to 3. (me encountered issues with DVD creation in version 3 and find 7 more stable)

Apart from this, like the Replace clip feature, and also the Instant movie - which me starting to use more often.

Thanks
                Em