7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 12:25 PM by the_wine_snob

PE3 Running Slow

I sometimes experience Premiere Elements 3 running extremely slow when working on a project. eg. when adding a dissolve, I get the hourglass for about 15 seconds before I can do anything else.
      Couldn't find information on this forum.
      Anybody have any tips on how to fix this?

I am running XP
      Celeron D CPU 3.46Ghz
      2GB Ram
      68GB free space on Hard drive

Thanks,
      AJ
        • 1. Re: PE3 Running Slow
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Well, Celerons certainly don't make the best processors for video editing. So any intensive move is going to lug that system.

But the three main things that affect the programs performance beyond that are:

1) The length of your project. Obviously the more that's on your timeline, the more strain it puts on your system.

2) What types of video you're working on. DV-AVIs (DV captured over FireWire from a miniDV camcorder) work most efficiently in the program. Video that causes a red line on the timeline above your clips (non-DV) puts a lot more demand on the program and your system.

3) Photos that aren't optimized to no larger than 1000x750 pixels. Larger photos do more than anything else to burden the program.

There are tricks for optimizing the program and Windows XP, but I'm not sure they'll make a huge difference beyond these issues.
          • 2. Re: PE3 Running Slow
            Level 1
            Thanks for the info.
            Sometime my system works fine, other times, real slow.
            My project is a 30 min. video.
            The video used was firewired in from a mini dv camera.
            The project is all video with no stills.
            I'll look into possibly changing the CPU.
            • 3. Re: PE3 Running Slow
              PeterFDuke Level 1
              Do you have any background processes using significant CPU, such as anti-virus? Is you hard disk busy doing something at this time?
              • 4. Re: PE3 Running Slow
                Level 1
                I figured that could be the problem, I'm just unsure of which processes to disable, so I leave them running.
                • 5. Re: PE3 Running Slow
                  Ed.Macke Level 3
                  A trick that really worked well for me was to bump up the priority of Premiere.

This link has details: www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp/how-to-set-priority-for-individual-programs-in-xp/

For me, this made a big difference in how Premiere worked. Note, however, that it's not a "magic bullet" - it just makes Premiere run as fast as possible relative to everything else on your machine. If your system is the bottleneck, APE might run faster relative to everything else, but it will still slow relative to the clock on the wall. If that makes sense.

Anyway, give it a try. It's free, easy, and you can't really mess anything up, since the setting is only temporary anyway.
                  • 6. Re: PE3 Running Slow
                    Level 1
                    I tried bumping up the priority,
                    unfortunately it didn't do anything,
                    thanks anyhow.
                    • 7. Re: PE3 Running Slow
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Though very late to this thread, if someone wants to eliminate unnecessary program and Processes that run at boot, this ARTICLE will give them some tips.

This is for people, who find this old thread much later, and want to know the process.

Good luck,

Hunt