8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2008 10:08 PM by (Daniel_Flouch)

PE7 will not run smoothly

AVCHD clips will not play smoothly. Can anyone suggest any improvements to my set-up?

Workstation CELSIUS M450, Intel Pentium D945 3.4GHz 2 Duo processor, 2GB Ram, Graphics card NVIDA Quadro FX 1500 256MB.

Jerky play-back impossible to watch.
        • 1. Re: PE7 will not run smoothly
          Paul_LS Level 4
          Did you try hitting Enter on your keyboard to render the clip? This will work but obviously it takes sometime to render.

Your AVCHD clips, where are they sourced from? Are they 1920x1080 or 144x1080 and do they have DD 5.1 audio.

Other thing... do you have all background processes turned off, such as anti-virus.

And lastly what opertaing systemn are you using? If Vista have you optimized it as per this FAQ:
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7
          • 2. Re: PE7 will not run smoothly
            Level 1
            Source - Canon & Panasonic camcorders. 1920 * 1080
            Anti virus (Norton) taken off - no difference
            System XP Pro (SP3)
            • 3. Re: PE7 will not run smoothly
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              I would also recommend at least 4 gig of RAM to edit AVCHD, per our Premiere Elemnts 7 FAQs.
              • 4. Re: PE7 will not run smoothly
                Paul_LS Level 4
                I have seen that 1920x1080 AVCHD files do require more processor power than 1440x1080. Your only option may be to render them before playback.
                • 5. Re: PE7 will not run smoothly
                  Ozpeter Level 1
                  http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml might be useful.

4GB of RAM in XP? Will it use it? I thought 3GB was the useful limit. I am open to correction though!

http://www.dvinfo.net//conf/avchd-format-discussion/111307-pc-spec-recs-avchd-editing-w-hg 10.html is one of any number of discussions on the net about AVCHD playback and system configuration - try googling for AVCHD performance or AVCHD cache - PE7 seems to me to be as efficient as any other program for AVCHD playback, so I'd say you could take advice given before the release of this program as worth considering.
                  • 6. Re: PE7 will not run smoothly
                    Paul_LS Level 4
                    Depends to some extend on the motherboard... one of my PC's sees 3.2GB the other one 3.6GB.

Adobe fiddled with the memory management in PE7 specifically because of memory resource issues with AVCHD. My page file now tops out at 1.3GB and it will use maybe 1.7GB of RAM. Previously page file and RAM usage would continue increasing until the program crashed. In my experience PE7 is the best editor for responsive AVCHD editing.
                    • 7. Re: PE7 will not run smoothly
                      Selecting the right hardware is always a difficult job when editing, unless you spec a top end system (2-3k!). Thats a decent box, the Celsius Workstation, since I've had a couple myself.
                      I would suggest maxing out the memory, the Celsius should take a lot more. Also, maybe try a faster dual core processor. Wouldnt bother changing the vid card, no point.
                      Have you tried editing at 720 HD to see if the same problem occurs? If it does, then you have a software issue not a hardware issue.
                      Try reloading Windows, then load the drivers and nothing else. Then try Premier on its own.
                      • 8. Re: PE7 will not run smoothly
                        Elfed,

Working on AVCHD is as good as fiddling with memory and processor. High Def. editing is a memory as well as processor intensive process. My machine has a core2 duo T7500 processor with 4GB RAM and till now i have not encountered any problems Editing with this new Premiere Elements box.
                        What i do as a good practise is:
                        - Clean up my system and defrag it every fortnight. A number of utilities are available so you can use any of them.
                        - maintain a healthy empty hard disc to create ample space for scratch disc.
                        - while editing with Premiere elements, i kill any redundant memory intensive processes
                        Once above things are done, HD editing is as simple as DV editing.

Thanks
                        Daniel.