6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2008 10:00 AM by Steve Grisetti

Export To DV Tape

Hi all.

This is an odd issue. I can import from my camera, but whenever I try to export I get a message saying "no device connected."

I checked all the cables, I tried the camera out on all three firewire ports on my PC. Premiere Elements can capture but not export.

Any ideas why this is, or if not, any alternative ways to get my film onto DV tape?

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Export To DV Tape
          Paul_LS Level 4
          What camcorder do you have?
          • 2. Re: Export To DV Tape
            Ed.Macke Level 3
            I've had problems with my Sony Handycam where it was actually connected, but there was something not quite right, like:

*It was turned on, but using battery power instead of being plugged into the wall.
            *The Play/Record/Camera switch being in the wrong position
            *Tape wasn't inserted (don't laugh!)

I wonder if it's something like that, or maybe the write protect tab on your tape is on. It seems like sometimes the message "Device not connected" = "Device is actually connected, but it's not able to do what you want to do for some reason".
            • 3. Re: Export To DV Tape
              Level 1
              Hi.

The camera is a Samsung VPD100 handycam.

Yeah I know what you mean about all the things that could be out of sync. However the camera was plugged into the wall (I hate recharging batteries.) It was in the VHS position, I'm sure of that and I remember ejecting the tape so it was in there.

It was a new tape, so the write tap was probably in the open position.

Should I press the REC button before I try to export?
              • 4. Re: Export To DV Tape
                Level 1
                Is there any way around this?

Could I export as a DV-AVI file and then use some other program to put it onto tape?
                Are there any standalone programs just for exporting to DV tapes?
                As bad as it is for editing, what about Windows Movie Maker?
                • 5. Re: Export To DV Tape
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I've used both Premiere Pro CS2 and Magix Movie Studio (check for correct name) to do this. Never tried from PE. Magix, while clunky in many respects, does a good job of writing back to DV tape.

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: Export To DV Tape
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                    reddkryten, per your question, yes, MovieMaker is an excellent choice for handling both capture from and output to a miniDV camcorder.

And it's not at all bad for editing either. Just limited. MovieMaker is a great tool in may respects for supplementing other video editing processes.