15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2008 6:22 AM by (Robert_Velds)

Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7

I know that for 9 out of 10 of all the questions there is only one person to blame. Indeed it's yourself.
      Hopefully it is the same with this.
      1st of all I'm not bothered by too much knowledge about the technics, but my choice for the Sony SR11 was based on quality. So is my monitor (Full HD) and so my television set (also Full HD)
      So what I'm surprised about, is that PRE7 has to render imported AVCHD files. No transitions and/or effects just playback the imported file Full Screen (So in my case full HD)
      What a difference in quality with the Sony playback utilities on my computer!

I tried to go through the video render settings, but my attention was not drawn to strange settings. In fact my computer will not be able to continue with AVCHD editing (no surprise, a calculated risk), but during this testphase is should do the required job.

Who is getting me out of a scrape?
      Rob
        • 1. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
          Paul_LS Level 4
          The fullscreen preview of the monitor in PE7 is not the quality you will get when you export the AVCHD clip. As you say when you export the AVCHD clip to either H.264 or HDV MPEG2 it will be rendered even if you do no editing to it. However you will see very little quality loss after one render/export. For the SR11 you should be using the PAL/NTSC AVCHD FULL HD 1080i 5.1 channel project preset.
          • 2. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
            Level 1
            The preset I used indeed (and 5.1 sound avoiding my clips ending on track 4). Still not clear why the (free) Sony software play the clips as expected and PRE7 makes a mess (...) out of it. But as you say as long as the endresult on Blueray will be OK I can live with it.
            Rob
            • 3. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Robert,

Your Sony utilities are designed around the play back one format, the AVCHD. Premiere's is designed to play back all sorts of different formats. The playback engine in PE is based on the one in P-Pro. It is designed to give a rough approximation of the play back, as most users will be feeding to a calibrated TV monitor for color grading, gamma checking, etc. I do not believe that aspect is available through PE, but could be wrong.

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
                Level 1
                For me it is still strange that playing the rendered files (mpeg) with the Windows mediaplayer gives a much better ressult than playing them in the program that has produced them.
                But if thats is the reality we have to live with, ok for now.
                But at the end of the day I fear that Adobe is decreasing the gap with Magix in this respect.
                Rob
                • 5. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
                  VideoJohnny Level 1
                  >For me it is still strange that playing the rendered files (mpeg) with the Windows mediaplayer gives a much better ressult than playing them in the program that has produced them.

Windows Media Player is a media player. Premiere Elements is an editor. How can you compare the two of them?

> But at the end of the day I fear that Adobe is decreasing the gap with Magix in this respect.

Magix is mere toy. Full of bugs and un-reliability. It's user interace is completely awkward. I tlso plant cache and database files all over your computer like a virus.

If you feel the Magix software can compare at all to Premiere Elements, then by all means use it.
                  • 6. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
                    Level 1
                    By all means may I expect from a program, that it will play it's own generated files correctly? That's all I ask. Further I'm not going to start a comparison between different editing programs. My remark on Magix was accompanied with "in this respect". OK?

Rob
                    • 7. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
                      Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                      Do you notice any difference in quality between Full Screen and 100% Magnification? Anything other than 100% magnification and not so good deinterlacing is done. In fact, I believe one of the fields is eliminated and the other duplicated.
                      • 8. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
                        Level 1
                        Not in my case I think. My monitor has a 1920x1200 resolution Higher than the genarated preview mpeg files I think. I don't konow that resolution. But even in standard monitor size, the quality is (AT LEAST) not what I expected.
                        But if that is what PRE7 has to offer me, I shall live with it.
                        Rob
                        • 9. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
                          Level 1
                          You will get better quality in full screen preview when play back the clip after render the timeline . The play back shoul not correct if you play the unrendered clip in full screen preview.
                          • 10. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
                            Level 1
                            I thought this would have been an end for this post, if I didn't discover the following fact.
                            Playing back the timeline UNRENDERED full screen gives a good quality playback (besides the fact my computer has difficulties to play all the frames). After rendering the quality becomes what is mentioned in another post "atrocious".
                            So playback the m2ts file OK, playback its own mpeg preview miserable.
                            Weird, but there might be a sensible explanation?
                            Rob
                            • 11. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
                              Ozpeter Level 1
                              So if you render a preview of just part of the project, with no FX or transitions etc, that part is lower quality than the rest? That makes me wonder whether you've used the right profile at the outset.
                              • 12. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
                                Level 1
                                After rendering lower in quality than before (Still a red line on top instead of a green one). And yes only a plain videoclip.
                                The project preset is 1080i with 5.1 sound. I looked for other projectsettings to be changed, but couldn't find one.
                                The "test" was done very easily, just drag a clip to thr timeline, play full screen, render the timeline and play again. Even in a small monitor window you can see the difference.
                                Rob
                                • 13. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
                                  Paul_LS Level 4
                                  When you render the clip it is converted to interlaced MPEG2 for preview purposes... the resolution is the same as the original full HD AVCHD video. So quality should not be very different. Unless during preview it is deinterlaced.

As previously stated the only way to see the actuall quality is to export and play in a dedicated media player rather than the preview monitor in PE7.
                                  • 14. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
                                    Ozpeter Level 1
                                    That's interesting - I hadn't noticed a degradation here but maybe I should look harder. With un-rendered clips I can certainly tell where the focus in the original is very slightly off, which is perhaps the key thing.
                                    • 15. Re: Quality Full Screen preview in PRE7
                                      Level 1
                                      As stated before, if that is what it is, so be it. After all it's just a preview. But I'm still puzzeled that the quality after rendering is worse than unrendered. And if it is interlaced after rendering or not, I don't know, should I ?
                                      Rob